PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat?

3arod13
03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Anyone know how to remove tape marks from a game used bat? Bat is cracked, was taped, and over time, tape fell off, but the tape mark is there. How can you remove the clue from the tape on the bat, without hurting the bat?

Thanks

Dewey2007
03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
This was posted by Jag Fan Dan in a recent thread:

I recently bought two bats that were cracked and had been "repaired" by somebody with ugly white tape wrapped around the upper handle/lower barrel. I knew when I bought the bats that the tape was coming off so I could do a better looking repair. The gunk that the tape left behind seemed like a pretty formidable opponent, but I used my wife's hairspray (White Rain, extra hold for those keeping score at home) and a rough dish sponge and it all came off very well.

3arod13
03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
This was posted by Jag Fan Dan in a recent thread:

I recently bought two bats that were cracked and had been "repaired" by somebody with ugly white tape wrapped around the upper handle/lower barrel. I knew when I bought the bats that the tape was coming off so I could do a better looking repair. The gunk that the tape left behind seemed like a pretty formidable opponent, but I used my wife's hairspray (White Rain, extra hold for those keeping score at home) and a rough dish sponge and it all came off very well.

Great info, thanks! Did it eat through down to the bat and take off any of the game use on the bat?

3arod13
03-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Here's what it look like. Don't want to attempt to remove the tape glue if it would eat through and take up any of the game use

Dewey2007
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I personally didn't try this method to remove tape from a game used bat. He seemed to post this info more as an FYI.

The original thread was about removing autographs from game used bats.

Good luck!

Jags Fan Dan
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
As long as the bat is finished, like most are (glossy), this method should do fine and not damage the bat in any way. But it is cleaning the area you spray, so be careful! Get that tape off of there! You will be happy you did!

Jags Fan Dan
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have before photos of the bat with the gunk, but it was bad. Worse than i thought it would be. But here it is with the tape, without the tape, and a close up of where the tape was. Just my opinion, but the tape repair was so unsightly that anything would be better. But I was very happy with the way it turned out.

metsbats
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Tony,

I usually remove tape from a bat only if it was used to hold it together like some of the split bat i get from Steiner. If the bat was taped by the player for use and comes off because of wear or use I usually prefer to keep the tape remanents on. But that's just my preference.

Have you tried goo-gone? This may help.

Regards
David

AstrosCollector
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM
a rough dish sponge

What kind of sponge is a rough dish sponge? Just like one of those normal yellow ones or one of the metal ones? I have a couple bats with the cracks taped up that I would like to remove.

3arod13
03-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Great info guys!

The tape was place over the crack on the bat. It was only once pieice of tape wrapped around the crap, but the tape has been on there for 14 years. The tape glue is very hard. Tried to even scape some if it with my finger nail, but it's so hard, it wouldn't even come off.

I'm so hesitant to even attempt to remove the tape, only because I don't want it to eat through down to the bat where you're able to tell the tape was there/removed. Especially with the use on this bat. Don't want to take up any of the game use.

What is the best product to use?
Should I use a Q-tip vice sponge?
Should I not put the product directly on the tape and let it soak, or put it on the sponge or Q-tip first to lightly go over it to test it?

So hesitant to try it, but this tape just doesn't look good.

Tony

Jags Fan Dan
03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
These are the items I used. The sponge is like a regular sponge on one side and much rougher, almost like steel wool but not quite that rough, on the other side. I know what you mean about the glue being so hard it seems like it is never going to come off. You have to soak it with the hairspray, scrub a bit, then soak it again, then scrub a bit more. I also used some warm water to wash all of the hairspray of the bat as soon as the gunk was gone. But in about ten minutes or so the bat will look all better!

3arod13
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Your comments and advice are truly appreciated. I am so hesitant to try anything. Don't want to ruin the bat. Here's results of my internet search, however, some of these would ruin the wood/bat.

I don't know what to try/do. Tony

25 Helpful Items To Remove Sticky Adhesive Goo (http://tipnut.com/25-helpful-items-to-remove-sticky-adhesive-goo/)

Things like price stickers and labels, different types of tape (packing, masking, scotch tape) can leave behind a sticky gooey residue that’s a tricky mess to remove. Here’s a list of items that can help make the cleanup job a lot easier.
Careful: Please test in an unnoticeable area first to make sure there will be no damage to the surface (especially on wood).
How To Remove Sticker Adhesive

Nail Polish Remover
Petroleum Jelly
Toothpaste
Hand Lotion
Hair Spray
Baby Oil (mineral oil)
Vinegar (soak cloth, apply to goo then leave for awhile–even overnight)
Rubbing Alcohol
Windex
Baking Soda & Water Paste (just rub gently into the goo, then wipe off with a warm wet cloth)
Lighter Fluid
Kerosene
WD-40 (set for 5 minutes)
Paint Thinner
Rubber Cement Thinner
Artgum Erasers
Peanut Butter
Vegetable Oil (set for about 2 hours)
Margarine
Mayonnaise (leave set for a few hours or overnight)
Goo Gone
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Furniture Polish
For surfaces that you’re afraid to damage, try heating the sticky goo with a hair dryer then wiping off (firmly) with a wet warm & soapy cloth.
Duct Tape (stick on goo firmly, life tape up quickly, repeat as needed)Tips to remove duct tape adhesive: try lighter fluid or WD-40
Once adhesive goo has been removed, wash surface as you normally would. If one method doesn’t work for your particular sticky spot, wash off the remainder of the remedy you tried and choose another.

3arod13
03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
These are the items I used. The sponge is like a regular sponge on one side and much rougher, almost like steel wool but not quite that rough, on the other side. I know what you mean about the glue being so hard it seems like it is never going to come off. You have to soak it with the hairspray, scrub a bit, then soak it again, then scrub a bit more. I also used some warm water to wash all of the hairspray of the bat as soon as the gunk was gone. But in about ten minutes or so the bat will look all better!

Were you able to tell that tape was removed? Did it go through to the bat?

Jags Fan Dan
03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
The finish on the bat is unaffected so far as I can tell. The residue is gone, except if you look very closely in some areas in the grain there may be a tiny bit left, but I was a bit scared to keep scrubbing away and left well enough alone. But to answer your main question, the bat is undamaged and I would do this again in a heartbeat.

3arod13
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
The finish on the bat is unaffected so far as I can tell. The residue is gone, except if you look very closely in some areas in the grain there may be a tiny bit left, but I was a bit scared to keep scrubbing away and left well enough alone. But to answer your main question, the bat is undamaged and I would do this again in a heartbeat.

I truly appreciate your help. I'm going to try it tonight.

I'm going to spray the scrubbing pad and then lightly rub the tape residue to see if it will come off. Don't want to spray and soak the tape residue, just in case it soaks through to the bat.

Hope it works.

Tony

Jags Fan Dan
03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
As long as the finish on the bat is ok right now, I don't think the hairspray will penetrate it. You should be fine. I sprayed ALOT on the one I did, and no haziness or damage to the finish of the bat is evident. I just made sure that once the gunk was loose, I washed it all off ASAP.

momen55
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
the best one is goo gone. i use it to remove rubber cement so it definitely works on tape. i have tried some of the others on the list and they took the black paint off. squirt some on and let it sit, then start rubbing it with a rag. it won't leave any residue.

3arod13
03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
the best one is goo gone. i use it to remove rubber cement so it definitely works on tape. i have tried some of the others on the list and they took the black paint off. squirt some on and let it sit, then start rubbing it with a rag. it won't leave any residue.

Thanks! I'll try that first. I believe being more of a goo (if it's like jelly) than a liquid might be better. Also it won't eat through as fast. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the info, comments, and help! Tony

3arod13
03-25-2008, 01:14 PM
After thinking about it, it may not be a good idea. Looking at your black bat, not much pine tar and use underneath where the tape was. My bat does have alot of use underneath the tape. I don't see how I can remove only the tape glue, without it eating through to the bat.

It most likely will give me a clean ring around where the tape was and will look odd.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12692&stc=1&d=1206433138

BULBUS
03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
tony, i agree. if you suceed in removing the tape residue, the pine tar will go with it. i suppose you could apply some new pine tar, but that wouldnt match the old pine tar. your probably better off leaving the tape on in this situation. chris

3arod13
03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
tony, i agree. if you suceed in removing the tape residue, the pine tar will go with it. i suppose you could apply some new pine tar, but that wouldnt match the old pine tar. your probably better off leaving the tape on in this situation. chris

My thoughts also. Why someone put tape over the crack, especially considering it's only cracked and not broken apart, is beyond me.