PDA

View Full Version : Crack of the Bat - Museum Quality Bat Repair

3arod13
03-25-2008, 04:55 AM
While conducting a search on bat repairs, I came across this webiste. Interesting and it has a few pretty good links at the bottom of the page.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9158/batrepair.html

3arod13
03-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Do you prefer to repair a cracked bat or leave it as is?

Jags Fan Dan
03-25-2008, 07:59 AM
My rule of thumb is if it is still in one piece, I see no need for repair. If it is in two pieces, I will glue it if possible.

harpt
03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
I was intrigued by the offer to restore the faded paint on the lettering. What do folks think about this?

I have a bat that could use this service for the visual appeal, but would it hurt the integrity of the piece?

kneerat
03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
I almost always like to keep pieces in "all-original" condition. Unless the bat is just a complete mess, my personal opinion is to leave it alone. A lot of bat collectors probably disagree with this.

harpt
03-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I almost always like to keep pieces in "all-original" condition. Unless the bat is just a complete mess, my personal opinion is to leave it alone. A lot of bat collectors probably disagree with this.

Chris,

In general I tend to agree. What I am really curious about though is...do folks see this particular service as akin to putting glue on a crack, or is this a more "serious offense" -- more like putting new numbers on a jersey?

joelsabi
03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
i have a cooper bat that is cracked but in one piece. its one of my favorite bats that i own.

not sure how i feel about restoration since i like to have the game used item in "as is" condition. but maybe it displays better if its repair. i dont know.

anyone have before and after shots of a repaired bat?

Rob L
03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I always repair the cracks myself. I don't try to do a professional restoration as I do want the the crack visible, but I do have people pick up my bats and swing them which is no problem with a repaired crack.