PDA

View Full Version : IT WORKED!! - How to remove tape marks from a game used bat?

3arod13
03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Goo Gone worked great!

I used a Q-tip, dipping it in the Goo Gone (not saturating the Q-tip), lightly wipping the Q-tip over the tape mark, let it sit for about 20 second, and very very lightly used a rough green pad, wiped with a wet paper towel, and then dried it immediately. Did this twice.

Came out great!

You guys definately know your stuff!

Many thanks! Tony

3arod13
03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
To the naked eye, you can tell there was tape there. Camera light makes it somewhat show where it was.

Looks much better than having the tape on it.

Here's the bat

joelsabi
03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
hi tony

were you asking information on the cooper bat to verify what you were told about the bat by its previous owner or you were not supplied this information when you bought it. just seems odd that the previous owner did not supply you with this information on the bat.

ps i like it how it is now. no need to get it restore it.

metsbats
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Tony,

Now go to your local playground or ball field and get some dirt and rub it round the spot where the tape was. This will darken the area and at least blend the area with the rest of the handle. It won't feel the same as the pine tar area but a least the color will blend better.

David

3arod13
03-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Tony,

Now go to your local playground or ball field and get some dirt and rub it round the spot where the tape was. This will darken the area and at least blend the area with the rest of the handle. It won't feel the same as the pine tar area but a least the color will blend better.

David

David, I'll assume you're just kidding. Removing the tape is one thing. Doctoring up the area to make it blend is another. Bat looks so much better without the tape on it. Don't believe it hurts the bat by removing the tape. I'm happy with the tape being removed.

The purchased the bat from the original owner who lives in Cookeville, TN. He obtained the bat directly from the ball park manager of the Nashville Sounds.

3arod13
03-26-2008, 03:14 AM
hi tony

were you asking information on the cooper bat to verify what you were told about the bat by its previous owner or you were not supplied this information when you bought it. just seems odd that the previous owner did not supply you with this information on the bat.

ps i like it how it is now. no need to get it restore it.

Joel, I purchased the bat from the original owner who lives in Cookeville, TN. He obtained the bat directly from the ball park manager of the Nashville Sounds. This bat was game used by Derek Jeter in the minor leagues. Signature is 100% solid and authentic! Beautiful bat!

My previous post was to find info about Cooper Bats. 1996 the Cooper line was discontinued at this plant. The corporate decision to transfer production to another location led to a decline from 130 to less than 5 Pro players in just one year.

joelsabi
03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Tony,

David

to me this post is disturbing. metsbats, i hope you disclose this any time you sell your bats. even the person advising adding new coat of pine tar seems odd too.

CollectGU
03-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Joel, I purchased the bat from the original owner who lives in Cookeville, TN. He obtained the bat directly from the ball park manager of the Nashville Sounds. This bat was game used by Derek Jeter in the minor leagues. Signature is 100% solid and authentic! Beautiful bat!

Was there any provenance with the bat? Also, would PSA bats authenticate this as a Jeter game used bat or simply a minor league used bat signed by Jeter, much the way they do pro-stock bats.

Regards,
Dave

metsbats
03-26-2008, 07:42 PM
to me this post is disturbing. metsbats, i hope you disclose this any time you sell your bats. even the person advising adding new coat of pine tar seems odd too.

Professional bat repairers do add pine tar to bats if it does not detract from the bat. I agree it up to the owner of the bat to disclose if this was done and it should be disclosed to any buyer whether it was a pine tar touch up or dirt touch up.

Fortunately I've never sold a bat which i had to do this to but have sold bats that were split in two and sold as them as repaired bats that were once split into two pieces.

David

metsbats
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
David, I'll assume you're just kidding. Removing the tape is one thing. Doctoring up the area to make it blend is another. Bat looks so much better without the tape on it. Don't believe it hurts the bat by removing the tape. I'm happy with the tape being removed.

The purchased the bat from the original owner who lives in Cookeville, TN. He obtained the bat directly from the ball park manager of the Nashville Sounds.

Tony,

See my other post to Joelsabi regarding professional bat repairers. Fred Lowman is a topic of a current thread. Fred told me that he does touch ups to pine tar where it rubbed off after a repair. Fred does an excellent job with bat repairs to a point where you would n't even know the bat was ever cracked or damaged. It's an amazing gift. How does he do it? He touches up the pine tar and fills in the missing pieces with wood. He has to in the end make the new wood repair blend too.

Depending on the collector this is fine with some and not with others. I've refrained from sending bats for professional repair that were shattered in half where I could not repair them them myself knowing that pine tar would be added to them after the fact because the original pine was removed during the sanding process.

So I'm not suggesting something with is not currently been done to some bats out there that have been professionally repaired.

Now my question would be of all the bats that were professionally repaired, do we know how many of them had work on them done besides the crack repair that were performed to make the repair area blend. I've never see a bat described with that much detail and only "cracked and professionally repaired".

David