PDA

View Full Version : "FOR SALE" Section ???

JETEFAN
03-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Has the "For Sale" section been discontinued again?

George

AWA85
03-26-2008, 08:29 AM
It has been taken down to give more light to the GUU Auction, I won't lie I realize how much I used to look at that page now that it is gone. Site just is not the same without it, but I guess the owe it to the people that put up their big items. More time for ebay is my case now.

ndevlin
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
It was one of the main reasons I looked at this site! Too bad its gone.

3arod13
03-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Just a thought, but would a "for sale" section really take anything away from an auction? I don't believe it would hurt the activity of an auction.

SkubeBats
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
The for sale section/ and wanted section is the only reason I come to this site, now that it's gone maybe I'll look some where else and spend my time. I don't see how this for sale section would hurt their auction!!!
Thanks!!
Jamie

AWA85
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree, I took one look at the auction list and none of the items really fit into what I am looking for in my collection. The For Sale section was a nice alternative to EBAY with members we know and trust. I hope it is not gone for long, because it is a main reason many of us come to the site.

3arod13
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Good thing about a "for sale" section is it also gives you an opportunity to negotiate price and/or a trade for a good deal. Auctions don't.

Dewey2007
03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I agree with the others I don't think the "For Sale" section would hurt the auction at all. I think an auction stands out by the quality of the items that are up for bid and this auction has plenty of great stuff in it. If folks want an item in the auction they are going to bid regardless of whether the "For Sale" section is up or not.

At the least, I think the "For Sale" section could have stayed up until the listings for the auction were finalized and posted w/ pics, etc.??

shoremen44
03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
I can see the reasoning behind removing the "for sale" section, but I agree with some of the other comments.

Based upon the initial list that was posted for the auction I am going to bid on several things... as well I have bought and sold some pieces in the past couple of weeks on the for sale section.

I dont think the section would hurt the auction results at all. I feel as though the "for sale" section is more for pieces that we may not always put up at auction... those rare players that maybe only one or two of us are interested in, something we could buy for $100 or less... they would be a waste at auction.

The auction is more for those high end items, as the preliminary list shows, that alot of us will be interested in.

Just my two cents

3arod13
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I can see the reasoning behind removing the "for sale" section, but I agree with some of the other comments.

Based upon the initial list that was posted for the auction I am going to bid on several things... as well I have bought and sold some pieces in the past couple of weeks on the for sale section.

I dont think the section would hurt the auction results at all. I feel as though the "for sale" section is more for pieces that we may not always put up at auction... those rare players that maybe only one or two of us are interested in, something we could buy for $100 or less... they would be a waste at auction.

The auction is more for those high end items, as the preliminary list shows, that alot of us will be interested in.

Just my two cents

Great points and well said!

bigtruck260
03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for GUU...

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave

toddhead
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.

You hit the nail on the head right there. It wouldn't be fair to the consignors to have the for sale section open.

I would suggest just posting in the Wanted forum if you are looking for something. To leave the site just because they are protecting their consignors is silly.

karamaxjoe
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
If you come to this forum just for the For Sale and Wanted sections, then you are really missing out on the value of this website. If you have been posting on this forum for a while, you should have known the For Sale section would be disappearing until the auction was over. Chris even made that announcement a few days ago. I for one am consigning an item and would be extremely upset to find someone using the auction to undercut pricing on an item they were selling.

I would recommend everyone take the time to read the discussion sections. You might just save yourself a lot of money in the future.

Mike

JimCaravello
03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Amen Mike - I have learned so much about football lids and jerseys in the past six months - it's just ridiculous..........the information embedded within the various sections of the Forum is unbelievable..........The Namath helmet discussion was just fantastic.................

PK
03-26-2008, 02:37 PM

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave

Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any

TNTtoys
03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any

Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...

dcrules01
03-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Nick give me a holler later if you get a chance....:D

geoff
03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I also love the For Sale section and bought great items from it.But I will still be looking at this site everyday like I have done since Oct 05.I do hope the For Sale Section does come back soon though.

kellsox
03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...

That harrelson jersey will be put for sale somewhere else(eBay?) and you may end up spending your $ there. I would post items here before listing on eBay- now it goes straight to eBay w/o putting it out to board members 1st. I enjoyed the For Sale section, not only to enhance my collection, but also to see what else is out there. Also of note- after last auction there was not going to be a "For Sale" section. There was supposed to be a big change and a newly formatted system to sell items on the site. Members asked for the FS section and it was put back with the thought that the new system would be out shortly. Mods said that the change would be made in Dec(I think). Whatever happened to that???
kelly

Vintagedeputy
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
For those of you new to the site, this is an old topic. It gets taken down when there's an auction. Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya. The people that run this forum do this out of their own pockets and for the love of the hobby. If all you want is a for sale section, go read the classifieds. If you actually wish to contribute something to the hobby, then stick around.

Jim

b.heagy
03-26-2008, 03:51 PM
For those of you new to the site, this is an old topic. It gets taken down when there's an auction. Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya. The people that run this forum do this out of their own pockets and for the love of the hobby. If all you want is a for sale section, go read the classifieds. If you actually wish to contribute something to the hobby, then stick around.

Jim

Amen Jim,
This gets old fast. Gone for 3 days and already a thread about it. It was announced that the for sale section would be removed in a seperate thread. The for sale section was free of charge (no financial benefiet for the forum). The new format will have fees but the mods brought back the section the last time when they did not want to. Come on guys give it a break. The auction is a great thing with good intentions and some fabulous items.

yankees159
03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Guys I think the point we are all missing is that GUU is as much a business as auction houses. The major point of difference is that it truly helps the collector by protecting them from all of the fraude that is in the industry. I know that it has educate me and has open my eyes to the con-artists that pray on collectors.

So with that being said, I feel GUU is entitled to make money just like the forum members who have sold items for free for the past few years. It's time we pay back to GUU to ensure that we can continue to enjoy this community of passonate GU collectors.

Just my opinion, I hope others will agree.

TW

both-teams-played-hard
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya.

Deja vu' all over again...
However, since the last debate on this same topic, I have made my first purchase from the for sale section (thanks, Dewey). I still think this forum is fun without the for sale section. We need to let the GUU auction owners take a crack at capitalism. Also, the GUU auction shows needed transparency, by having an inhouse staff of authenticators always on patrol (this forum). This website still hasn't cost ME anything.

cohibasmoker
03-26-2008, 05:38 PM
The "For Sale" section was put there by our gracious hosts. It's only part of what makes this site so appealing. All our hosts ask is, during their auction, they take the "For Sale" section down. Once the auction is over, they put the "For Sale" section back up. So, what's wrong with that?

It's their website and for myself, I am happy that the site exists let alone a section that allows members to offer items "For Sale" section that is "free of Charge".

But that's just my opinion.

Jim

JETEFAN
03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
The reason for my question was because I had not seen the post on the "For Sale" section being discontinued. Since the auction is sometime in April, I thought maybe there was another reason for it being discontinued now. And as for the comments of using the forum strictly for the for sale section, that is not the case. I have been here almost since the start of the Forum and I couldn't put a price on the knowledge and help I have recieved. I would also like to think my input over the years has helped others. I would be the first one to say that the time and effort put forth by all involved in keeping this forum going certainly warrants compensation. It is also important to keep in mind that what keeps this forum going is it's members, and the "For Sale " section in my opinion is one of if not the main event, people will ask and question each and every time it is withdrawn even if it's for a short period of time. It was not my intention to question it's removal, only asking why. Thanks to the administration for all it's hard work and efforts in keeping this alive, it is through forums like this and others that has helped take this hobby to the next level.

George

metsbats
03-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Jim

Jim,

Completely agree with you and with Mike's comments. This is an old topic and it's seems to be always the same folks who are complaining about the for sale section closed during auctions.

I can't wait for the new for sale section to go into operation and i personally wouldn't mind paying a fee for it as it will weed out the real sellers from the speculators/watchers.

David

Vintagedeputy
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
David,

Thank you. It always amazes me that people who are getting something for free will complain when the free thing goes away (albeit temporarily). They never appreciate all the time that the thing was given to them freely. I'm wondering if we shouldn't all pay some kind of nominal membership fee to be members here. That way people will actually have a legitmate say in what they are crying about.

just my .02

Jim

Dewey2007
03-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I have only been a member of the forum for a short time and do enjoy the "For Sale" section too but if it has to go away for awhile because of the auction then no harm in that. Those committing items to the auction deserve the full attention they are being provided.

It is very nice that GUU provides this section free of charge so no complaints on my end.

whatupyos
03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
It's not like they took away the items wanted section. Can't you just post items you are looking for, and hope someone will respond?

Aaron

chakes89
03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I see it like this, if you dont like how the site is being run don't come back

If you feel the need to complain about the temporary removal of a small part of the site you are obviously here for all the wrong reasons

No one is forcing you to look at the forums

And if someone is forcing you read this site you have bigger problems to worry about than the removal of the for sale forum :D

BergerKing22784
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I always see "consigning" on auctions they are taking "consigners" what does that mean? Can I profit from it if I consign? Can I lose out?

josports
03-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Here is one for you.... I have read from these posts "Oh well I will go to ebay" yet you hear how much ebay is a disservice to the community. With that being said why not the new for sale format be in the ebay type format?? IF YOU WANT TO SELL AN ITEM ON THE FOR SALE SITE PAY TO LIST IT? Like ebay, but you have the trust in the community that you are getting good items. I think the GUU auctions are incredible!! Name me one other major auction house that you can find the trust in the items and the paperwork. Look at these items Steiner (Jeter playoff jersey), team paperwork (Adrian Peterson & Michael Jordan), player paperwork (Pujols) etc. There is a reason why you cannot find every starting quarterback, every 4 hole hitter, every Cy Young award winner, Ruth off brand bat in these auctions. Because those auctions that carry these type of jerseys, bats etc are and should be in question. I think the auction format is right on and the For Sale format should be a format to pay to list items. You want see to many 2001 McNabb Game Worn/Issued jersey issues if you have to pay for the listing and the site regulates it I promise.

3arod13
03-27-2008, 03:27 AM
For myself, I have never bought or sold anything in this forum. I never used the "for sale" section. I only added my thoughts. Not complaining...only added my thoughts.

I come to this forum and mainly enjoy seeing what other people collect; seeing things others have in their collection; learning why and what others collect; learn about the game used hobby; ask advice; and sometimes just read the many different threads, whether about GU stuff or not. Great site, great people, with tons of knowledge.

JETEFAN
03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
David,

Thank you. It always amazes me that people who are getting something for free will complain when the free thing goes away (albeit temporarily). They never appreciate all the time that the thing was given to them freely. I'm wondering if we shouldn't all pay some kind of nominal membership fee to be members here. That way people will actually have a legitmate say in what they are crying about.

just my .02

Jim

Jim,
I don't see where anyone has mentioned that the "free" for sale section is gone, my initial question, not having seen the post that it was going to be taken down during the auction was "what happened to it". This is not a "free" take advantage of issue, it's questioning what happened to probably the most poular section of this forum, people feel comfortable buying here because they know that everything listed for sale is viewed and questioned by tons of years of knowledge. I will be the first to say I would have no problem paying to list or buy, and would have no problem paying a yearly membership fee to help cover the cost of maintaining this forum, the benefits here are priceless!! My starting this thread was not meant to be of a negative nature.

George

3arod13
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Jim,
I don't see where anyone has mentioned that the "free" for sale section is gone, my initial question, not having seen the post that it was going to be taken down during the auction was "what happened to it". This is not a "free" take advantage of issue, it's questioning what happened to probably the most poular section of this forum, people feel comfortable buying here because they know that everything listed for sale is viewed and questioned by tons of years of knowledge. I will be the first to say I would have no problem paying to list or buy, and would have no problem paying a yearly membership fee to help cover the cost of maintaining this forum, the benefits here are priceless!! My starting this thread was not meant to be of a negative nature.

George

George, don't give it another thought. I saw nothing wrong with your question, nor the other comments that were made.

AWA85
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
This is my first time being on the board through an auction time. Really wish I didn't make any comment, a few of you guys are getting pretty darn upset about a few opinions of some members. Hope the auction goes well because it will be good for the site, sorry for those who are getting a little riled up over this topic. :D

3arod13
03-27-2008, 11:00 AM
This is my first time being on the board through an auction time. Really wish I didn't make any comment, a few of you guys are getting pretty darn upset about a few opinions of some members. Hope the auction goes well because it will be good for the site, sorry for those who are getting a little riled up over this topic. :D

Hey, no need to aplogize. This is America, isn't it? Freedom of speech, correct?

The only negative in this thread were from those who felt the need to chime in and come down on those who asked legit questions and added legit comments, which were in no way were intended to hurt anyone, or directed at anyone.

There are many different opinions on this matter, and I think everyone has the right to voice them.

Many comments

Yankwood
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
For myself, I have never bought or sold anything in this forum. I never used the "for sale" section. I only added my thoughts. Not complaining...only added my thoughts.

I come to this forum and mainly enjoy seeing what other people collect; seeing things others have in their collection; learning why and what others collect; learn about the game used hobby; ask advice; and sometimes just read the many different threads, whether about GU stuff or not. Great site, great people, with tons of knowledge.Didn't you sell the Cano glove through this sight?

Yankwood
03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Didn't you sell the Cano glove through this sight? http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=13053&highlight=cano+glove

3arod13
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Didn't you sell the Cano glove through this sight?

No! Never bought or sold anything via this site.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200186415484

Yankwood
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Attempted? Whatever, it's splitting hairs...And I ain't got many to split.

3arod13
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Attempted? Whatever, it's splitting hairs...And I ain't got many to split.

What's you're point?

camarokids
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM

I come to this forum and mainly enjoy seeing what other people collect; seeing things others have in their collection; learning why and what others collect; learn about the game used hobby; ask advice; and sometimes just read the many different threads, whether about GU stuff or not. Great site, great people, with tons of knowledge.

From a technical standpoint , technically speaking , and just a minor technicality you did use the service .

But ended up selling the glove on ebay .

In case any one is keeping score ....... lol ........:D

3arod13
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
From a technical standpoint , technically speaking , and just a minor technicality you did use the service .

In case any one is keeping score ....... lol ........:D

I'll end this. Getting a little too ridiculous now.

Yankwood
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM

In case any one is keeping score ....... lol ........:DThanks. You made my point.

camarokids
03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll end this. Getting a little too ridiculous now.

Hi Tony,

You misspoke the truth and George called you out on it and you still denied it.

Call what you want , you still used the service .

No hard feelings , just noting my observations .

camarokids
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
I also just want to say thanks to GUU for allowing to sell some items on the "for sale section" . It helped me pay for some of my new bats I just got......

Good luck with the auction....

3arod13
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Tony,

You misspoke the truth and George called you out on it and you still denied it.

Call what you want , you still used the service .

No hard feelings , just noting my observations .

Agree. I did forget I listed the Cano glove. Stand corrected.

The main purpose of my comment was to be nothing but positive. Yet, some enjoyed finding and picking out a negative and blasting with both guns. Give me a break.

josports
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey, no need to aplogize. This is America, isn't it? Freedom of speech, correct?

The only negative in this thread were from those who felt the need to chime in and come down on those who asked legit questions and added legit comments, which were in no way were intended to hurt anyone, or directed at anyone.

There are many different opinions on this matter, and I think everyone has the right to voice them.

Many comments

That's right it is America. But watch if GUU starts charging to list items and charges for items sold on the For Sale column. This site will be crusified for charging a minimual fee on the dollars that are made everyday by these forum members. We have already heard this. I guess we will have to sit back and see exactly what comes about this new model?

AWA85
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Many people keep mentioning the start up of fees or other things to GUU on sales or listings. Is this in the plans?

mchmaj
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
You want see to many 2001 McNabb Game Worn/Issued jersey issues. if you have to pay for the listing and the site regulates it I promise.

josports,
what do you mean by "you want see to many mcnabb game worn/issued jersey issues ??
let me know
marcus

markfd
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I am glad I found this thread, I was wondering where the "For Sale" Section went. I do not recall too many "high end" items being posted in the "For Sasle" section so I agree that it would likely not decrease the auction thread's traffic. I am pretty new to this site and was hopefulto both buy and sell here rather than EBAY. Oh well, maybe it will come back after the auction????

Mark
-----------------------
Collecting Washington Nationals and New York Yankees Game Used
------------------------
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Hike for Discovery Program
"Hiking Towards Cures for Blood Cancers"
http://www.active.com/donate/hfdnca04/hfdMDemers1

josports
03-28-2008, 11:21 PM
What I mean by the McNabb issue is the fact there was a McNabb posted for sale on the site and on ebay. Title stated Game Used and description stated my not be game used. Original sale price was around 3k in which with that sale price and title seller was trying to sell it as game used even though it was or may have been issued. This type of title-description would not work if GUU had a For Sale model that is more regulated in the since that if they wanted to do a ebay type listing fees etc. they probably would have contacted the seller or pulled the item. The last thing GUU would want is any type of transaction(s) that would hurt their name, like the questionable stuff you see in other auctions or ebay. They have a McNabb with player paperwork and wear in their up coming auction. We will have to see exactly what GUU will come up with if anything for the For Sale section. It is obviously a useful tool.