PDA

View Full Version : Recent Ebay Pickup - Vintage Photo

bat_master
03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm generally a bat guy, but recently while searching ebay I ran a search for my hometown of Durand, WI (population less than 2000).

I found several of the usual items that I always see - post cards, old bar coasters, calendars, etc, but this time I actually found something that that encompassed what is probably my greatest passion - baseball.

For around $83 shipped and insured I was able to get an original of what is said to be a circa 1920 Durand High School baseball team photo. It measures 7"x9" and came in the frame shown.

http://www.hofbats.com/images/DHS-BBL.jpg

For most people, they wouldn't give it a second look. For me, I was totally thrilled with finding it and am thinking about donating it to the Old Courthouse Museum back home.

Probably not as exciting as a lot of the other March pickups, but I know I've seen people's collections where they have pictures of early high school or town teams where the players are complete unknowns. Not only am I familiar with the town, but it's extremely likely that I know some of the great-grandchildren of the depicted players.

b.heagy
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Nice pice Tim. Looks to be 1890s-1910 era. The Quilted pants are nice !

bat_master
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice pice Tim. Looks to be 1890s-1910 era. The Quilted pants are nice !

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info about the year range. I really didn't have much of an idea as I know a ton more about bats than I do about other types of vintage equipment.

I'm probably going to stop by the library and the newspaper office next time I'm back home to see if I can get some help identifying the players. When I spoke with my mom the other day she said I could probably email a picture of it to the paper and they would publish it to see if anyone had any idea who was in the picture.

After I get the IDs done I'll probably donate it to the museum we have as my good deed for the month.

bigtruck260
03-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Tim -

That is an AMAZING photo. I think that that type of memorablilia is extremely intriguing. Good luck on your research.

Dave

slidekellyslide
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Great photo - it was probably used in the high school annual and judging by the uniforms I believe this photo is circa 1905. The local library or perhaps the school library may have copies of the old annuals so that is where I would start my research.