PDA

View Full Version : what the h###!

zonker
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
can anyone clear this up for me as paypal makes no sence and doesn't have an answear! the last couple of times someone has paid me with paypal. which has alway's been free in the past. they charged me $9. which makes no sence as i'm the receiver of the money. seem's to me if i wanted to be an a**! i could refuse to send item to buyer ,becuase my price for agreeing to sale my item was not meet. i wonder what paypal would say to the buyer, because of there involment? seem's to me if there was going to be a charge to send the money that should fall on the sender, not the receiver. they never informed me there would be a charge taken out, they just took it! i know this is doesn't seem game used related ,but it is as everytime i buy/sale an item on the forum the buyer/seller want's to make payment made thru paypal for the insurance, which is a safeguard for the buyer and should be charged to the buyer for this service. can anyone help me understand this and when did paypal's policy change on this and why wasn't member's notified of the charge,just doesn't seem right.

otismalibu
03-27-2008, 06:53 AM
When I first signed up for Paypal, any payment coming to me from a cash balance was free of fees. This went on for years. I heard people talking about Paypal fees and I had no idea what they were referring to. Eventually someone paid with a CC via Paypal and to accept that money, I had to accept the fees. From then on, all payments (regardless of source) have the fees taken out.

I've never had any problems with Paypal and it's the easiest way to buy and sell. Fees ares imply part of the equation.

mvandor
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Been using Paypal for years and can never recall it being free for the seller, only the buyer.

suave1477
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Paypal is free until you accept a credit card payment then from that point forward whether payments come in credit card or cash there is a fee.

If your going to sell something on ebay make a note in the auction to send payment to you directly is preferred, via money order, check, or cash. That way you will avoid the paypal fees.

I have done this and most people were willing to send me the payments directly and if someone really needed to send it to me through paypal that would be fine too.

zonker
03-27-2008, 09:46 AM
see i've bought and sold on ebay and was never charged either way when using paypal only fee's were ebay listing fee's. that's it. as far as accepting the payment i was never given the option to accept or pass it was automaticly taken from the balance. maybe i been just luckey so far? thank's for the reply's

zonker
03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
you know what suave your right! i check my last item and someone from the forum paid with a credit card thru paypal for an item and that's the 1st time i was charged. man that bites! from here on out huh? i'll take your advise i would rather take a postal money order anyway. i don't know if anyone has ever tried to request your printed transaction history from paypal for your personal record's, but iv'e asked 8 times and was refused everytime! i alway's thought they had to give these to you if you requested them by law, but i guess they are above that or it's some kind of policy. man it's hard to keep up. they change thing's so much.

ndevlin
03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
See, heres my problem with it. I havent sold anything since last Nov. and I am still getting charged a sellers fee of about $8 a month!!! I have contacted both parties (ebay and paypal) and have had very little response. I feel its quite silly to be charged seller fees if you arent actually selling anything. Any responses to this?

helmets
03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Ebay owns paypal. They get the money when the item is listed, when it is sold, and then again when it is paid for. If some of the sellers out there actually added up all of the fees that are charged, they would find that they are actually losing money on some of their items.

Spiezio23
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I know that when I first started using PayPal it was the basic free account and like others I accepted the first CC and got hit with the fees ever since. I knew this by accepting the payment as it was clearly stated in print that by accepting the CC payment you are upgrading your PayPal account. It was some years ago but the option was there to down grade my account back to the basic fee free type. I did that because I stopped selling on eBay for awhile and didn't see the need to get the fee taken out for any of my other transactions I made elsewhere.

I later enabled my account back to accept CC and now it is permanent, there is no going back for me unless the rules have changed in the past few years. I don't mind the fees so much since to me it's a part of doing business. I'm not willing to open up a brick & mortar shop and pay those costs so I'll accept these minimal ones from eBay&PayPal. I also NEVER pass on those fees to the buyer, EVER. That peeves me when I see sellers who will accept PayPal but only if I add in the 3% for the fees. I have yet to buy from anyone who does that, regardless of how bad I want the item.

my .01

-Jeremy :cool:

otismalibu
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Not sure if it's still an option, but many sellers had 2 Paypal accounts. One was set up to only accept payments from a cash balance (no seller fees). If someone had to use a CC, they were instructed to use the other Paypal account.

As a buyer, I rarely make any non-Paypal purchases. Too easy to get scammed. Not a big fan of sending a money order to a perfect stranger.

10thMan
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I accept Paypal, but only a DIRECT Transfer, as from a Debit account. This means I cannot accept a paypal "line of credit" or any Credit Card Payments. Ebay/Paypal gets paid when you list, sell AND get paid, seems like a scam to me. Is this why Ebay bought Paypal??? That way they can say they only get a small piece of the action, as opposed to 3 payments? I would compare this to being an Appraiser, Real Estate Agent, & The Mortgage/Broker, & maybe even the Escrow House.
If I list something & state (in my Auction) "no credit cards" OR "Debit account Paypal only" They shut down my Auction. Now I just run the Auction & if Buyer sends credit type payment, I reject it. Sounds crappy, but why should I (or anyone) pay 3 times. That`s just the way it is, "Big Business" gets over on people one more time...
Sean

otismalibu
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Now I just run the Auction & if Buyer sends credit type payment, I reject it.

That's bush league. You either accept Paypal or you don't. If you don't, make it clear and lose the Paypal logo.

ndevlin
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
That's bush league. You either accept Paypal or you don't. If you don't, make it clear and lose the Paypal logo.

Totally agree Greg.

Dewey2007
03-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Zonker, not sure if this was addressed but as a seller are you signed up on PayPal for a "Premier" account?

I remember getting a notice from PayPal that if I was going to be receiving something like more then 5 payments in a year that it I would be charged a lower percentage on the fees if I set up a Premier account. Right now it seems like I am getting charged between 3.5-4%. On the bad side it seems PayPal's fees are really high, like 9-10%, for any payment I've received below $10.

10thMan
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Greg, I used to think you were funny...Call it what you want. I explain in detail a common issue with Ebay, & I get bashed??? Ebay is doing the manipulating here, not me. I can`t afford a "Premier Business Account" Plenty of people can`t, or won`t. I just don`t accept credit, that simple. I`ve purchased High-end Items from Nationally Known Dealers & have been asked to make "several payments" to "reduce their fees" It may surprise some on here, who does it. Personally, I try to help out on this forum. I may be one of those guys that occasionally seems emotional & may be annoying to some??? I don`t know, but I would agree some guys are. I`ve asked for help on THIS SITE more than a few times, i`ve never asked for anyone to do anything for me. With one exception, the only guys that have helped are the guys that SELL REGULARLY.
I`m done for awhile,
Sean

otismalibu
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Sean,

If I happen to see the Paypal logo on one of your auctions, then win, I'm expecting to be able to pay you with Paypal. I'm going to be none too happy if you inform me that it has to be from a cash balance. I've never registered a bank account with Paypal, so if I don't happen to have a balance that will cover the purchase price, it's not like I can add funds. I pretty much buy exclusively from sellers that accept Paypal.

I've got no problem if you don't accept Paypal...I just hit the Back button. But don't make it look like you do, when you don't. I can't win your auction, then say I only buy from sellers who provide free shipping, can I?

People piss and moan about the money eBay makes. You don't have to take Paypal, but you're limiting your bidders if you don't. Anyone who accepts a CC for payment has to pay - welcome to reality. And how many auctions just end for no reason? You know it's a side sale to avoid fees, so all eBay gets is the listing fee.

Here's a recipe for all you guys that want the exposure on eBay but feel entitled to no fees.

We know you're too cheap to pay for a reserve and listing at your minimum sell price is just way too spendy. Wait for one of those bargain listing days and list all your stuff at about 3x what it's worth, with the Best Offer box checked. You'll only be out maybe 10 or 20 cents per item. If you haven't figured out how to host your own photos, drop me an email and I'll host them for you for free. Then when someone makes you an acceptable offer, decline it, but then email them and tell them you will take that offer on the side. No fees, which you really shouldn't have to pay anyway. Make sure they send you cash, so you don't need to waste fuel driving to the bank to cash your money order. And make sure you inflate your shipping charge as well.

You'll be golden!