PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of an item that has "made the rounds" quite a bit?

commando
03-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Over the years, I have seen several GU items that have "made the rounds" -- you know, hopped from eBay to an auction house, then to a bulletin board, then back to an auction house or eBay, and so on. In these cases, the item was obviously flipped several times by speculators, rather than collectors who wanted to keep the item in a personal collection.

I wish I would have kept track of a few examples, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I think it is fascinating to follow items like this. Usually, it's just a matter of time before someone has paid too much and winds up taking a loss when they sell.

camarokids
03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I have a good one for you .

In the Spring of 1999 , Wilson Alvarez gave me a glove he used in the Spring of 1998 but decided to use the grey A2000 instead .

The glove he gave me was made in December of 1997 (according to Wilson's)

Fast forward to Spring Training Camp 2000 , a female collector whom I told I had the glove , offers me $500.00 . At the time that was too much money to pass up .

In 2005 I started collecting baseball bats again and thought it would be really cool to find that glove for sale .

I found the glove listed on eBay by eBay'r Tadema (great seller) . I ended up winning the glove for around $348.00 after shipping .

Tadema said he bought the glove at The National earlier that year .

So the glove passed from (1) me to (2) Jan to (3) ? . Then ends up The National which was in California that year I believe ?

(4) Tadema bought the glove and put on ebay and (5) I won it to complete the circle !

Changed hands at least 5 times ........add another one if Alvarez counts ...

commando
03-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I have a good one for you .

In the Spring of 1999 , Wilson Alvarez gave me a glove he used in the Spring of 1998 but decided to use the grey A2000 instead .

The glove he gave me was made in December of 1997 (according to Wilson's)

Fast forward to Spring Training Camp 2000 , a female collector whom I told I had the glove , offers me $500.00 . At the time that was too much money to pass up .

In 2005 I started collecting baseball bats again and thought it would be really cool to find that glove for sale .

I found the glove listed on eBay by eBay'r Tadema (great seller) . I ended up winning the glove for around $348.00 after shipping .

Tadema said he bought the glove at The National earlier that year .

So the glove passed from (1) me to (2) Jan to (3) ? . Then ends up The National which was in California that year I believe ?

(4) Tadema bought the glove and put on ebay and (5) I won it to complete the circle !

Changed hands at least 5 times ........add another one if Alvarez counts ...

That's a heck of a story... Makes you wonder who made or lost money on those deals (other than you, of course!)

BoneRubbedBat
03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
My favorite item that i have seen move around is the Andruw Jones "F*** You Ball" bat. I had it in my collection for a couple of years, and have seen it change hands at least four more times. I finally lost track of it.

kylehess10
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
My favorite item that i have seen move around is the Andruw Jones "F*** You Ball" bat. I had it in my collection for a couple of years, and have seen it change hands at least four more times. I finally lost track of it.

I remember seeing it last in December on eBay. I believe it sold off eBay though

WadeInBmore
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I have the Andruw Jones "F*** You Ball" Bat now:D

I totally love it! I was amazed to read and see how many people have owned the bat...most getting rid of it b/c their children were getting old enough to read, LOL. No kids here. I love displaying it and in fact it seems to be a show stopper for a lot of friends and family when they see it.

kylehess10
03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I have the Andruw Jones "F*** You Ball" Bat now:D

I totally love it! I was amazed to read and see how many people have owned the bat...most getting rid of it b/c their children were getting old enough to read, LOL. No kids here. I love displaying it and in fact it seems to be a show stopper for a lot of friends and family when they see it.

Ever plan on selling it?

Also, does anybody know where the other Andruw Jones "F--K YOU BALL" bat is?? It was in Historic Auctions about a year ago and it never appeared since.

LWMM
03-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Ever plan on selling it?

Also, does anybody know where the other Andruw Jones "F--K YOU BALL" bat is?? It was in Historic Auctions about a year ago and it never appeared since.

Pictures?:D

camarokids
03-28-2008, 10:39 PM
That's a heck of a story... Makes you wonder who made or lost money on those deals (other than you, of course!)

I could not believe it when I found the auction . It had a minimum bid of $275.00 or a Buy It Now and I decided to bid . I had one competing bidder .

I could not believe I got it back . I had regretted selling since the day I handed it over .

I just figure out how the glove ended up in California ???

This lady was a die hard Devil Rays fan and told me of how she spent over $2000.00 for a Game Used Boggs jersey in a charity auction . I hope nothing bad happened to her . I chatted with her quite a bit while waiting to obtain autographs at the Training Complex and Al Lang .

Maybe she is like me and gets tired of owning certian items and sells them . I like to keep items that are given to me by the players .

Just now , I bought back a Damian Rolls bat I sold on GUU about two months ago . I just saw as a BIN or OMO . I did a offer , was accepted , I paid for it . Its on the way back tomorrow , I figure I can help keep the post office in business .

The action picture is Spring Training 1998 at Al Lang Field . Alvarez decided to go with a gray A2000 to use in the season . He used the glove he gave me on Opening Day Spring Training .

When Wilson Alvarez gave me the glove he said he used it on Opening Day . It took me forever to figure out what Opening Day . Mainly by checking the Date Of Manufacture Code on the outside of glove . Just by calling Wilson Sports I was able to get the DOMC , which is Dec of 1997 .

kylehess10
03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Pictures?:D

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2590&stc=1&d=1162607521

and here's the other one out there somewhere:

http://www.historicauctions.com/images/listings/0DA7AC49-1111-B1F9-F34554D2C661A97B/DSC_4668.JPG

PK
03-29-2008, 11:31 AM
What's with the blue sharpie all over that first picture? Looks like a 5 year old was drawing on it. Do you have more pics of the bat?

dcgreg25
03-29-2008, 12:14 PM
WadeinBmore, let me know if you would consider selling, I would love to buy it from you. My e-mail is gregguy@hotmail.com

WadeInBmore
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Greg,

I sent you an email.

Kyle,

You are super speedy on posting pics!!! Thanks for saving me the time:D

wade