PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Mets Jersey name plate comparision

metsbats
03-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm interested in this Mookie Wilson 1984 jersey. You don't see too many Wilson Met jerseys around. I have two 84s and noticed the nameplates are different font and sizes between my 85's and the Wilson on ebay.

I emailed Zane asking if the nameplate on the Wilson was possibly restored.

Are the nameplates different or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Thanks
David

metsbats
03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
The fonts on the letter are definitely not the same (most noticable on the "S" and the nameplate on the Wilson is short than the Robinson and Stottleymre ..

I offer to email these photos to Zane and will see if he responds.

-David

dcrules01
03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
The N also looks different ..I saw that jersey and it would be out of my price range but something just looks off to me...

TNTtoys
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Here are my thoughts on the Wilson jersey --

1. You cannot compare it to the Stottlemyre or the Robinson because of the length of the last name. What I have found is that the Mets tended to use skinnier letters on longer names during that era. Wilson would have had thicker letters on the jersey due to the shorter last name. I would offer photos of my 84 home to you; however, it is a long one too - Valentine, and uses the thin font. You probably want to dig out there to find a home jersey for another player with a short name to compare.

2. Apart from the font, the nameplate is cut badly. Every nameplate I have seen from that year was cut like the Stottlemyre and Robinson, including my Valentine. They are wider on top and triangular. I have never seen them custom fit around the letters.

Based on the photos of the Wilson, the nameplate is the most glaring fault to me. The lettering may be off too; however, there is not enough evidence to suggest that at this point.

dcrules01
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Nicky boy give me a ring .....

TNTtoys
03-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Nicky boy give me a ring .....

Scott,

Can't tonight, email me...

Nick

TNTtoys
03-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm never one to hold out on providing a photo...

metsbats
03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Here's a photo of George Foster from 1984. The font of the lettering is definitely not the same as the Wilson. Most notably the "S" again in Foster verse the "S" in Wilson. Both player names have the same number of letters.

I think the Wilson jersey has very similar fonts on the name plate with a Strawberry road jersey which was in question last year. Suave would remember that one.

I've sent the photos of the Stottlemyre and Robinson to Zane this evening at his request.

-David

lon lewis
03-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Before you wonder about the NOB you may want to look at the Rawlings tag in the collar and the strip tag below it. The Rawlings tag is not of the '84 vintage and the strip tag below it is suspect when compared to other '84 strip tags if you add to that what appears to be a non Rawlings NOB well, you make the call. This is also the same seller that has the "Charlie Fox 1974 Giants home flannel" jersey that is in fact a Fresno Giants (class A) jersey and a "Bo Belinsky" 1964 Angels home jersey that has a restored front (not mentioned) and is tagged a size 40 which is 2 sizes smaller than was ordered for him that year. In the interest of more info onthe Mets NOB, the Mets used 2 different sizes of letters for the NOB depending on the length of the name. The examples provided (Robinson, Stottlemyre) were of the condensed version.

kingjammy24
03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8661/metshn3.jpg

rudy.

TNTtoys
03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice one Rudy. I found a 84-85 SISK too that has the same "S" as the SWAN. Clearly the "S" on the Wilson is wrong, and there is enough evidence.

metsbats
03-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Lon,

Here are photo's of the 84 Robinson and Stottlemyre tags and the Wilson in the auction.

Can you comment on the differences?

Thanks
David

kingjammy24
03-28-2008, 11:31 PM
the ebay mookie wilson suffers from the same tagging issue as this clete boyer: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15191

david louie, your 1984 mets jerseys show a proper 3-laundry line rawlings tag circa 1973-84. there's a four-line variant that came into play in 1985. however, the style seen on the wilson isn't quite that variant. anyway, the clete boyer thread explains it.

rudy.

island_style
03-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Here is the tagging on my 1985 Mets road jersey showing the four line Rawlings tag. By the way, is there any rhyme or reason for the 1984's (or maybe other seasons, as well) to have different variations of the strip tag? Some have the uniform number and year, while others may have the uniform number and size.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

metsbats
03-29-2008, 06:18 AM
the ebay mookie wilson suffers from the same tagging issue as this clete boyer: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15191

david louie, your 1984 mets jerseys show a proper 3-laundry line rawlings tag circa 1973-84. there's a four-line variant that came into play in 1985. however, the style seen on the wilson isn't quite that variant. anyway, the clete boyer thread explains it.

rudy.

Rudy,

Thanks for the great info and the nice photo of the Swan jersey.

The Wilson jersey tag also looks like the no. 1 is upside down too.

David

TNTtoys
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Rudy,

Thanks for the great info and the nice photo of the Swan jersey.

The Wilson jersey tag also looks like the no. 1 is upside down too.

David

And the SET tag is inconsistent too if you look at it. Little by little, more ad more things wrong with the same jersey.... Luckily it was priced a bit out of reach, or there would be a handful of unknowing bidders on it already.

metsbats
03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Just a few more observations:

- Note the nameplate length on a few 84s on Jim Yackel's site. The length of the name plates are similar to the Wilson and unlike the larger sizes of the 84s we posted.

- As Rudy pointed out, the rawlings tags variation on the 84 have 3 lines of text verses 4 lines of text on an 85 jersey. The 84 Wilson has the Rawling tag similar to those found on the 85s.

It's also important to note that the Wilson jersey is a set 2. It could be entirely possible that the set 2 was issued later in the 1984 year with the 1985 style Rawlings tag and an different strip tag style too??

However i agree that the fonts would still be a somewhat of a concern though we have folks who say the Mets did use different fonts for different names during that time.

Zane has responded to the inquiries and i've sent him all the photos and he has even seen these posts. He has a full money back guaranty if not completely satisfied with the purchase.

Thank you to everyone for their input on this jersey.

David

ultimetfan
03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
This is why this site rocks!

Thanks to all who chimed in

Best
Jessie

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR METS CATCHER ITEMS and bats from: Sid Fernandez, Terry Leach, Doug Sisk, Barry Lyons, Bruce Berenyl, Ed Lynch, Randy Niemann, Rick Anderson, John Mitchell, Tim Corcoran

suave1477
03-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Metsbats as you are correct a common problem is when people try to forge the Strawberry Jerseys is they can't get the complete name font right, but to put my 2 cents in on your jersey is a bit harder just to judge on just the name because as TNTOYS mentioned the names size did vary a bit depending on how long a players last name was BUT from what I have noticed players having last names of 6 letters or longer usually used the skinny font which would cancel out that WILSON Jersey because the Wilson Jersey is using the thicker font.

Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

metsbats
03-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Metsbats as you are correct a common problem is when people try to forge the Strawberry Jerseys is they can't get the complete name font right, but to put my 2 cents in on your jersey is a bit harder just to judge on just the name because as TNTOYS mentioned the names size did vary a bit depending on how long a players last name was BUT from what I have noticed players having last names of 6 letters or longer usually used the skinny font which would cancel out that WILSON Jersey because the Wilson Jersey is using the thicker font.

Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Suave

Completely agree with you which is why I pointed that classic case of the Strawberry road jersey from last year. The fonts on the Wilson differ drastically from say the Foster in the photo (same no. of letters) and we all agree are not consistent with usual fonts.

Thanks
David

lon lewis
03-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Metsbats

You had asked a few posts back for me to comment on the tags. If you haven't already read the post Rudy referenced, here goes. The Rawlings tag is of the 87-8 vintage. The strip tag's lettering/chainstitching is inconsistent with any '84 tag. Look at the construction of the 4,2,1, the sizing difference between the first 2 digits and the 2nd 2 digits and the overall comparison between the tag on the Wilson jersey and the examples provided. Also, in my inexpert opinion, the flag tag (1984 set 2 ) is a little off. On the NOB subject, all of the letters are wrong for a Rawlings Mets plate.

metsbats
03-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Lon,

Thanks for the additional information. I looked closer at the 84,85 jersey I have and can see the differences in the Rawling red tags as pointed out by yourself and Rudy.

Regards
David

metsbats
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I measured the lettering on a couple of 84-85 jerseys i have and asked Zane to measure the lettering on the 84 Wilson he has.

The letter "N" was the common letter between all jerseys

84 Wilson 3 6/16 by 1 13/16
84 Robinson 3 7/16 by 1 1/4
85 HEARN 3 7/16 by 1 5/8
85 Knight 3 7/16 by 1 1/2

As TNTtoys and Lon indicated on this thread, the thickness of the lettering can vary depending on player name however the length of the lettering is always consistent with 3 jerseys but not with the Wilson which we all know is shorter.

For grins and giggles i emailed the seller of this replica jersey with a name plate to ask him if he can give me the measurement of the "N" in the wilson plate on his jersey.

His reply was "you re joking." I emailed him back explaining why i want this measurement and will see send it. My guess it's going to be the close or the same as the 84 Wilson.

Of course the nameplate should not detract from the other issues including the flag tag and rawlings style on the 84 Wilson.

David

metsbats
03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I measured the lettering on a couple of 84-85 jerseys i have and asked Zane to measure the lettering on the 84 Wilson he has.

The letter "N" was the common letter between all jerseys

84 Wilson 3 6/16 by 1 13/16
84 Robinson 3 7/16 by 1 1/4
85 HEARN 3 7/16 by 1 5/8
85 Knight 3 7/16 by 1 1/2

As TNTtoys and Lon indicated on this thread, the thickness of the lettering can vary depending on player name however the length of the lettering is always consistent with 3 jerseys but not with the Wilson which we all know is shorter.

For grins and giggles i emailed the seller of this replica jersey with a name plate to ask him if he can give me the measurement of the "N" in the wilson plate on his jersey.

His reply was "you re joking." I emailed him back explaining why i want this measurement and will see send it. My guess it's going to be the close or the same as the 84 Wilson.

Of course the nameplate should not detract from the other issues including the flag tag and rawlings style on the 84 Wilson.

David

Added photos..

dcrules01
03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
He has a bidder.....