PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Autograph Experts: Bleeding/Fading and G/U Jerseys

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Dear Game Used Universe Members,

I need your help on a jersey I am getting. It is a game-used autographed Jeff Bagwell 2003 jersey, signed in silver paint pen. I want to know if this g/u jersey is likely to bleed or fade, if I get it put in a shadow box. It won't be in direct sunlight, but I would like to get some enjoyment out of it, rather than leaving it in the closet. Then again, I don't want this piece ruined after spending a boatload of money on it. Here are some pictures below of the autograph. Please let me know what you think.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Bagwell20033.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Bagwell20034.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/Bagwell20032.jpg

Sincerely,

Leslie

Rob L
04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
The paint won't fade, that should be good. Depending on where you store it, you can get UV protection thru several methods. One would obviously be a display case with UV glass. I have all my jerseys hanging on hooks and hangars in my office. My office has 12 fluorescent lights. I was able to find a company that sells UV tubes that slide over the bulbs to prevent UV (apparently museums use these). Definitely worth looking into.

David
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
There are two kinds of ultraviolet light we get from the sun and artificial light-- UVA and UVB, both fade cloth, ink, posters, etc. Normal glass naturally blocks UVB light, but lets through UVA. You can buy glass that blocks both and you can buy glass sealing that block both. But regular glass does offer some UV protection.

In case you want to know, UVA is blacklight and UVB is what gives you a tan. The sun also gives off UVC, which is dangerous to all animal forms, but luckily is blocked by the earth's atmosphere. Humans manufacturer UVC light here on earth to do specialized stuff like kill viruses in hospitals, purify water and air. All ultraviolet light is invisible to humans, as our eyes' photosensors aren't constructed to detect the light. However, some animals like geese and bees can see UVA light, meaning they can see light we can't see.

helmets
04-02-2008, 08:54 PM
There are two kinds of ultraviolet light we get from the sun and artificial light-- UVA and UVB, both fade cloth, ink, posters, etc. Normal glass naturally blocks UVB light, but lets through UVA. You can buy glass that blocks both and you can buy glass sealing that block both. But regular glass does offer some UV protection.

In case you want to know, UVA is blacklight and UVB is what gives you a tan. The sun also gives off UVC, which is dangerous to all animal forms, but luckily is blocked by the earth's atmosphere. Humans manufacturer UVC light here on earth to do specialized stuff like kill viruses in hospitals, purify water and air. All ultraviolet light is invisible to humans, as our eyes' photosensors aren't constructed to detect the light. However, some animals like geese and bees can see UVA light, meaning they can see light we can't see.

Sometimes I learn more on here than just game used info...

AWA85
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
This is like a science class, but I pay more attention here than my college classes.

frikativ54
04-02-2008, 09:27 PM
This is like a science class, but I pay more attention here than my college classes.

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. Though I haven't taken any science since high school, and that was 5 years ago. You can see why I'm only a first-semester college junior. :p

Vintagedeputy
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Whatever you decide to store it in, dont go cheap. Spend some decent money on a good case to protect that baby.

David
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
The simple thing to remember is that you want it block UVA and UVB-- whether it's glass to frame your movie poster or sunscreen. And if a material blocks both UVA and UVB it will say so, as that will be a selling point.