PDA

View Full Version : Are your sports teams from your home state?

3arod13
04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Born an raised in New York. However, my teams are: Los Angeles Lakers; Boston Bruins; Minnesota Vikings; and New York Yankees.

nycsports
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I have lived in NJ all my life and my teams are the Yankees, NY Rangers, Knicks, NY Giants, and Rutgers Football. Ironically, not too many people from NJ care about the NJ professional teams (Devils and Nets).

harpt
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Home: Green Bay, WI

Teams: Brewers, Packers, Bucks

bigtruck260
04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Born in VA, raised in MD - and grew up a Braves fan - And a disciple of Dale Murphy as a little leaguer.

Moved to STL in '83 and fell in love with Whiteyball. Willie McGee, Tom Herr, Ozzie and Terry Pendleton made me a switch hitter...

err.:eek:

No, Those guys made me want to bat both left handed and right handed during baseball games.:D

skipcareyisfat
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Born and raised: Atlanta (fellow adolescent and now responsible adult Murphy disciple.)

Favorite team all time: America's Team II - the Braves

I lived in Nashville when the Predators and Titans arrived, so they're my favorite hockey and football teams.

BULBUS
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Born and raised in NJ:

-Giants season ticket holder
-Yankees
-Devils
-and when I used to like basketball, the Knicks

otismalibu
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Grew up in Ontario, Canada...

- Flyers in the 70s (Bernie was God!) and into the 80s
- Sixers in the 80s
- Steelers since the early 80s

Really don't watch much NBA or NHL anymore - just NFL.

Dewey2007
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Born and raised in the Alameda, CA (right next to Oakland) so my teams are:

Oakland A's
Oakland Raiders
Golden State Warriors
Cal Golden Bears

Although I do have a weak spot in my heart for Tarheels basketball. They were the first team I remember watching as a young kid and have loved them ever since.

helmets
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Born and raised in Wisconsin.
Living in Detroit area since '85

Packers
Badgers
Tigers
Red Wings
Pistons

3arod13
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I was just curious how many stuck with their home town state teams.

I get grief for not liking NY teams. I grew up around Viking, Laker, and Bruin fans and followed them early in my life. Stuck with them until adulthood.

Otherwise, I guess I would like: New York Yankees/Mets; New York Knicks; New York Giants/Jets; and New York Rangers.

I will always love and follow my college hometown sports: Syracuse

frikativ54
04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, I was born in Portland and raised in the Seattle suburbs. I was a Seattle Mariners fan until about 5th grade, when I got really tired of the fact that the team seemed like a bunch of egos, rather than a ballclub. I have been a Houston Astros fan since grade school, and I root for them until this day. They are definitely my favorite sports team.

As far as basketball, I was always a big Seattle SuperSonics fan growing up. I haven't paid as much attention lately, but the prospect of them leaving has me really sad.

As far as football, I have never been much of a Seahawks fan. When I took time off from school, I would listen to them on the radio on Sundays. But that was more out of boredom than a genuine like of the team. Growing up, though, I was a big Patriots fan. Drew Bledsoe was a product of Washington State, so I couldn't not root for him. I still remain somewhat of a Pats fan, but not really hardcore.

I also root for the Red Sox whenever they make it to the playoffs. I spent a year in the Boston suburbs and would like to move back when I have a chance. I can't see myself not living in Boston, so I imagine myself in the future remaining a Pats/Sox fan.

As for other sports, I have never really enjoyed hockey or watching soccer. So that's about it. Interesting thread.

earlywynnfan
04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
As a lifelong Cleveburger, I have always rooted for the Indians. I'm not much of a hoops or pro FB fan, but I pull for the Cavs and Browns.

On the other hand, I'm a huge Michigan Wolverines FB fan. I guess it's the Pain in the A** in me!

Ken

godwulf
04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I grew up in Indiana, with no interest in any sport but Baseball (still the case) and no MLB team closer than Chicago or Cinncinatti. Indianapolis had a Triple-A team, but they seemed to change their Major League affiliate every few years, so it was tough to be a fan or really get behind them.

After wandering around in the Navy for more than two decades, I settled here in Arizona in '93, and was able to get in on the fan ground floor with the Diamondbacks when we were awarded the franchise in '95, and then started playing in '98. I'm an Arizonan (or "Zonie") now, and can't imagine being a fan of any team other than the Snakes. (Unless that other team is playing the Yankees, of course.)

bigtruck260
04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
As a lifelong Cleveburger, I have always rooted for the Indians. I'm not much of a hoops or pro FB fan, but I pull for the Cavs and Browns.

On the other hand, I'm a huge Michigan Wolverines FB fan. I guess it's the Pain in the A** in me!

Ken

I have spent many years as a Clevelander as well. I used to actually hide the booze when I was a little kid going to Municipal Stadium with my Dad and uncles. Nothing like sitting in the old Dawg Pound tossing batteries (and thermoses) onto the field during a Bengals or Steelers game.

You just can't find that kind of entertainment in STL no matter how hard you try.

Both of my parents are from Cleveland - Mayfields Hts. and Lyndhurst.
I stopped watching football in '87 (Elway)...but if I were a fan, Cleveland would be the ONLY team I would root for.

Been to 2 Rams games since they have been here.

Dave

Chris78
04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
My favorite NFL team has always been the Steelers. I do live in Eagles territory, but have been with the Steelers since 1989.

In Baseball, my favorite team is the Phillies, but I have been more acceptable to rooting for other teams because I follow minor league baseball so closely and attend a lot of different parks that are affiliated with different teams.

In Basketball, I would consider the Sixers my favorite team, but do not have a strong following to them.

In Hockey, I used to be more with the Penguins, but have become more neutral and tend to have a split feeling with the Penguins and Flyers. Again, I do not follow hockey to any great extent.

By the way, I live in Eastern PA so techincally these teams are in my home state.

Birdbats
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Your question about "home state" is interesting because it sparks one my pet peeves. I live about 15 miles from Busch Stadium and grew up an hour west of St. Louis. I've always been a Cardinals fan. Yet there are people around here who can't believe people who live in Illinois are Cardinals fans. They honestly think we should be Cubs fans because Chicago is in Illinois (300 miles north of here). It's really not just a line they use to get under our skin -- they truly believe everyone in Illinois should root for the Cubs because that's our home state. When I encounter these people, I just smile and go on my way... you can't possibly win an argument with someone of that mentality.

Has anyone else ever encountered this in another state where the local team is across the border in another state? Or is it just a Cardinals/Cubs thing?

Birdbats
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Oops... I meant I grew up an hour EAST of St. Louis. I've always lived in Illinois.

kylehess10
04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Born in New York, raised in Georgia, and my team is the Braves

gingi79
04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Born in Miami, Florida. Raised on Long Island in NY

I am a fan of the:

Vancouver Canucks
Atlanta Braves
Miami Dolphins
Miami Hurricanes
NY Giants
NY Islanders

So I would say as a New Yorker, I root against the:

NY Rangers
All N.W. Division NHL clubs not from Vancouver
NY Mets and any other N.L. East teams not from Georgia
NY Yankees
NY Jets and any other AFC East team not from Miami.
Any ACC Team outside the State of Florida.

I think this answers your question.......

Master Shake
04-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Born in New York however raised in Florida.

I grew up watching the New York Yankees in baseball and got into basketball with the Orlando Magic. Those are my two favorite sports teams. I have become more into football but I don't really root for any specific team.

10thMan
04-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Born in San Diego, I like the Chargers, Padres & Angels. Recently spent 4 years in Los Angeles & went to a lot of Angel Games. Angel Stadium has a good feel to it & is a lot of fun. I learned to appreciate the Rivalry going to American League Games. Boston Fans are cool as hell, their loud, but they are fun & will talk to you. Yankee Fans will kill you over a simple disagreement. I remember going to a Playoff Game Angels/Yankees (Angels won) & walking out of the Stadium, a nicely dressed Couple wearing Yankee Jerseys were leaving & the Lady screamed out loud "Damn Monkey" I still grin thinking about it. I tend to follow players, specially guys w/a so-cal connection. Glaus, Giambi, to name a few.
Sean

both-teams-played-hard
04-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Although I do have a weak spot in my heart for Tarheels basketball. They were the first team I remember watching as a young kid and have loved them ever since.
I grew up in North Carolina. ACC basketball on Jefferson-Pilot local TV...sail with the Pilot! I watched every game and could name every player. My dad is a UNC fan, so I was also (although I didn't have the grades for Carolina; graduated from Campbell U.). Still have an Easter egg from 6th grade that I painted James Worthy's picture. Season ticket holder for the Orlando Magic in the mid 90s. The 94/95 Magic mean a lot to me...Shaq is a traitor!
I can see the lights of Dodger Stadium from my fire escape, but I don't follow baseball. I sometimes listen to Vin Scully on the radio. Really liked the '04 Dodgers...then the management showed their intelligence.
So with that said:
North Carolina Tar Heels basketball
Orlando Magic basketball
Los Angeles Dodgers baseball
San Diego Chargers football
Carolina Hurricanes ice hockey

bigtime59
04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Born in DC, raised (and still live) in Northern Virginia.
Senators fan until they left. Orioles fan since. Not a Nats fan.
Redskins fan as long as I've been aware of football.
Would be a Caps fan if I was into hockey.
Have no interest whatsoever in basketball or soccer.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

harpt
04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Has anyone else ever encountered this in another state where the local team is across the border in another state? Or is it just a Cardinals/Cubs thing?

Yes, I am with you on this one. I grew up in a small town in Upper Michigan. My town was on the border of Wisconsin. We were 50 minutes to Green Bay, and a little over two hours to Milwaukee. Detroit, on the other hand, is about 8 hours away. Even our local TV stations were out of Green Bay. We had no local exposure to Detroit teams whatsoever.

Some of the old timers still rooted for the Tigers since the Brewers were not around until 1970. Many still rooted for the Braves since that was the Milwaukee team of their youth. Everyone rooted for the Packers though... even though they were absolutely terrible most of my life.