PDA

View Full Version : Authentic NFL Jerseys VS Game Issued

Huddle
04-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Guys ! I am a rookie when it comes to this so I'm hoping some kind souls can help me out!

My big question is how do you tell the difference between an Authentic NFL Jersey that retails around $250 bucks and a Game issued Jersey! I know about the year & size tag inside the collar (like 06-52) but what else is there?

1. Is it cut different?
2. Is the stitching different?
3. Is the material different?

Help would be awesome!!:D

gingi79
04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
The cut of a G/U or G/I NFL jersey is very tight. This is especially true of lineman jerseys. Usually, recent jerseys are cut two ways, one is skin tight and the other is slightly less snug for specialty players (QB, WR etc)

Stitching is relatively the same. Many times a "common" GI and even GU is cheaper than an "authentic" Pro Bowl or even a good NFL player.

Material itself is the same. Authentic means it is a jersey made by the same company in a comfortable cut to fit our fat American bodies versus fine tuned athletes. Even the huge lineman jerseys are cut too tight for the average fan because players don't want enough material available to grab on to.The tighter the better on the gridiron.

As a football fan, I own two game worn football jerseys, one each from my beloved Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes. I am 6'0 220 with a non athletic body. I look like a stuffed sausage in these size 52 game worns but very comfortable in Reebok authentic size 48. I hope this helps and good luck with your collection.

Huddle
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Authentic means it is a jersey made by the same company in a comfortable cut to fit our fat American bodies.

You should write for NFL.COM. LOL Thats the best explanation for Authentic Jerseys I've read yet ! :)

Some of the players appear to have the sleeves hemmed to different types of lengths. Will the GU GI jerseys only match their preferred sleeve lengths or will the authentics match the sleeves too ?

packerfan
04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
You can also look for the "Made in Berlin, WI" tag that's sewn on the inside of GI/GU jerseys. The retail jerseys will have a flaf tag at the neck stating the jersey was made somewhere in South America.

Huddle
04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys ! Great information ! :D

ekpentz
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Game-issed jerseys will generally be cinched in some areas to provide a tighter fit (linemen) or will have some parts of the jersey cut (sleeves on many qb jerseys), etc.