PDA

View Full Version : What is your Holy Grail of collecting?

Dewey2007
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Piggybacking off the previous thread regarding Holy Grails, what is your Holy Grail of game used memorabilia? If you have already picked up your H.G. what item is it?

Mine is easy. I'd love to own a Willie Stargell game used jersey some day.

AWA85
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
My Holy Grail of collecting would have to be a Ken Griffey Jr game used bat. I know there are a few out there, but the price is something that will make this item wait a little longer. Next on my list would probably be a Barry Larkin game used bat.

both-teams-played-hard
04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
ANY jersey of ANY player of the Pittsburgh Pisces, used in the film, "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh".
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3446/fishsaved3yi9.jpg

WadeInBmore
04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
My Holy Grail is a Frank Thomas game used glove. I have yet to find one since I started collecting. I finally picked up a jersey (maybe two as one sale is still pending) so my concentration is now on finding a glove of his. With patience and time I am sure I will succeed. I can't help but wonder what I will do once I have acquired my Holy Grail...maybe work on intensifying my Thomas collection as a whole:D

wade

Dewey2007
04-09-2008, 12:24 AM
ANY jersey of ANY player of the Pittsburgh Pisces, used in the film, "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh".
You mean you don't want the matching shorts too? Man, I don't even think John Stockton would wear the shorts that Set Shot has on.

chakes89
04-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Any Jay Bruce game used items I can get my hands on

harpt
04-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Gorman Thomas bicentennial bat would be up there for me.

frikativ54
04-09-2008, 02:29 AM
A Jeff Bagwell glove, but I hear that he kept all his gamers. Short of that, my Holy Grail is a Jeff Bagwell game-used jersey. I've got the batting gloves, cleats, a bat, and as of this June I'll have the Bagwell jersey. Can't wait to get it, as I this has been a dream of mine for quite some time.

JETEFAN
04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Mattingly game used glove and Mantle bat......:p

George

DonTheLegend
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
A GU Ray Lankford fielders glove

...or any 1997 All Star GU items (ie: bat, hat jersey, etc...)

i already have a rookie spring training bat (#57) and a game used (more like bench worn) 2004 world series jersey.

Rob L
04-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Anything from Troy Percival, preferably a GU Angels jersey.

MJB14
04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Dan Fouts game worn jersey and helmet.

jake33
04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Orange 1996 Tampa Bay Bucs jersey
New style game used Tampa Bay rays 2008 jersey(s)
Rocco Baldelli Game used batting helmet
OLD style game used Buccaneers helmet

jahimiak33@yahoo.com

Yamils
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I am Venezuelan, my Holy Grail of collecting would be a flannel jersey used by Alex Carrasquel (Washington Senators), he was the first Venezuelan player in the major league baseball.

nomarmauerfan
04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
An 83-85 Mattingly bat just tarred up and beat up. If one does pop up, I know I'll have to battle George and Jim for it!!!

mIKE

BULBUS
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
An 83-85 Mattingly bat just tarred up and beat up. If one does pop up, I know I'll have to battle George and Jim for it!!!

mIKE

AND ME! :D

iceman13
04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
1) late 70s/early 80s Rick Kehoe Pittsburgh Penguins
2) 1980-81 road Sandow Edmonton Oilers Mesh (2nd Half) - Garry Unger, Curt Brackenburry, Brett Callighen, Dave Lumley, Ed Mio, Andy Moog, Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri, etc..

Fnazxc0114
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
i would like a michael young g/u pink mothers day bat or one of his jerseys.

nomarmauerfan
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
AND ME! :D

Aww crap...you already own the nicest Mattingly I've seen!!! Between you, George, and Jim, I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house :D

Mike

godwulf
04-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Any game-used Matt Williams item from the 2001 World Series. In order of preference - jersey, bat, batting helmet, anything else.

I had a deal made for one of the jerseys a few years ago, but the Seller backed out. I'd like to think it was because he found out that it wasn't authentic (or knew all along and got nervous), but who knows.

aeneas01
04-10-2008, 01:48 AM
a circa mid 50s van brocklin game used rt lid with lucite facemask - i would probably quit collecting and move on with my life if i ever got my hands on such a lid - heck, i would probably be just as happy with any authentic rt rams helmet. are there any still in existence? i've never seen one.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/norm2.jpg

harpt
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Aeneas,

What does rt refer to in this post? I saw a helmet today with a facemask like the one in your photo. It is a suspension helmet and is made by Frankilin.

I am guessing it is a youth helmet, though it fits my head well. I had never seen one like it before...which was strange since I saw it about 20 minutes after seeing your post.

soxbats
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM

BTPH, (assuming this is not a joke) how hard have you looked for this? Have you tried contacting any of the actors who had a role or the production company? I have also heard some tales of companies that own all the costumes from movies. How about the wardrobe designers? I have my own grails and spend much time doing what I call "plotting" in an attmept to find them.

soxbats@aol.com

otismalibu
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Sure BTPH would love the Set Shot Buford 'gamer', but could he choose between that and a Warren Coolidge 'gamer'? Tough.

I'd love to acquire a Dr. J. game jersey some day, but it seems unlikely. Big money.

GFC has a sweet Erving 76ers jersey that will be in their next auction. I'm gonna take a wild Lampson and say it will sell for more than any other Julius Erving NBA gamer has sold for in the past.

SkubeBats
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I would have to say it would be a Milwaukee Brewers game used bat from the 1982 World Series of any player from that team.
Thanks,:)
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

P.S. I'm always looking for Milwaukee Braves and Brewers game used bats.

bigtruck260
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
gonna take a wild Lampson

In 20 years a "Wild Lampson" will be as common a term as "puckering" and "piling" in the hobby.

Dave

bozac82
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I Would Have To Say That My Holy Grail Of Collecting Would Be A Nolan Ryan Mets Game Used Jersey

34swtns
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I could die happy.......

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i56/34swtns/Payton84gu1.jpg

both-teams-played-hard
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
BTPH, (assuming this is not a joke) how hard have you looked for this? Have you tried contacting any of the actors who had a role or the production company? I have also heard some tales of companies that own all the costumes from movies. How about the wardrobe designers? I have my own grails and spend much time doing what I call "plotting" in an attmept to find them.

soxbats@aol.com

Not a joke. The jerseys were designed and made by Sportsrobe(AIS) of Culver City. The production company, Lorimar, is out of business. I have talked to the lady who designed the jerseys back in 1978. She does not know where the jerseys are today. Not at Western costume or any of the studio wardrobes. Sportsrobe never had ownership after the film was made.
Yes, this is serious bitness. I have searched since I have lived in Hollywood (11 years).
I left a message on Stockard Channing's answering machine, but she still hasn't returned my call. (OK...that's a joke).

mvandor
04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
If we're dreaming, a Unitas GU jersey or helmet. Second choice, Montana GU jersey in red.

Can't afford either though. Got a child to put through college, and unfortunately she's Ivy League smart. :(

mvandor
04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Dan Fouts game worn jersey and helmet.

Yup, that'd be #3 for me...

both-teams-played-hard
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Sure BTPH would love the Set Shot Buford 'gamer', but could he choose between that and a Warren Co5{ugh.

Yes. Any Carver High jersey would be a close second. I've searched for those also. How about Warren Coolidge orderly-used scrubs from "St. Elsewhere". Same character two different shows. Warren graduated from Carver and moved to Boston and worked in a hospital. The answer to my favorite classic TV trivia question.

geoff
04-10-2008, 04:45 PM
My Holy Grail would be a Real Manny Ramirez Game Used Sox Jersey.

godwulf
04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who enjoys collecting (or trying to collect) tv- and movie-related sports items.

Within the realm of screen (rather than game) used items, I'd have to put that baseball Kevin Costner's character writes "For love of the game" on, in the film of that name. Any uniform item Costner wore in that movie would be nice, too.

aeneas01
04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Aeneas,

What does rt refer to in this post? I saw a helmet today with a facemask like the one in your photo. It is a suspension helmet and is made by Frankilin.

I am guessing it is a youth helmet, though it fits my head well. I had never seen one like it before...which was strange since I saw it about 20 minutes after seeing your post.

rt stands for "riddell tenite". tenite was the name of the translucent plastic riddell employed in the first helmets they manufactured, beginning in the mid '40s. this generation of riddell helmets saw the paint applied to the inside, not the outside of the shell - yet the paint was easily visible through the clear shell. and, of course, an added benefit was that the helmet paint was actually protected by the shell.

but, as it turned out, the tenite plastic didn't work out as well as hoped. given that it was a relatively soft plastic, it would become malleable during very hot days and brittle during very cold days. also, as the interior suspension webbing became wet with weather or perspiration it would tend to shrink, contract. the soft tenite plastic had a tough time with this and it wasn't uncommon for suspension webbings to actually pull through the plastic at the rivet points. as a matter of fact, it's usually pretty easy to identify rt helmets in vintage photos because of the pronounced "dimples" at the rivet points which are caused by the suspension webbing pulling in the plastic.

anyway, there were very few teams that sported a helmet logo during the tenite helmet years - as a matter of fact, only the rams and michigan come to mind. and this posed a special challenge for riddell. with other teams riddell could simply spray the interior of the shell a team's color, apply the top coat, and be done with it - but not so with the rams. to start riddell had to apply horn stencils to the inside of the clear shell and then spray the shell blue. once the blue dried, the stencils were removed and then yellow was sprayed.

as far as the frankin helmet is concerned, i'm sure it's a child's helmet.

here are some nice photos of rt helmets....

1. sammy baugh's rt redskin lid, at the hof.

2. an rt paratrooper helmet; riddell licensed its design to the military. what's interesting about this photo is that you can easily see through the shell.

3 & 4. a pair of nice rt lids. transparency is evident when looking at the ear hole area. also, notice the slight "dimpling" near the rivet points, more evident on the baugh lid. but these aren't good examples of dimpling - more than often it was much more severe, even to the point where suspension units had to be removed, rivet areas reinforced by melting plastic rings to the area, webbing units reinstalled.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/001comp.jpg

If we're dreaming, a Unitas GU jersey or helmet.

how about the baby unitas is holding - a tad more convincing than the macgregor "unitas" lid that fetched $50,000+++ through hunt!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/001jucomp.jpg

harpt
04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Thank you!

I am constantly amazed how much I learn on this site.

helmets
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
60's Packers Suspension helmet - Starr, Taylor, Nitschke, or Willie Davis.

soxbats
04-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Not a joke. The jerseys were designed and made by Sportsrobe(AIS) of Culver City. The production company, Lorimar, is out of business. I have talked to the lady who designed the jerseys back in 1978. She does not know where the jerseys are today. Not at Western costume or any of the studio wardrobes. Sportsrobe never had ownership after the film was made.
Yes, this is serious bitness. I have searched since I have lived in Hollywood (11 years).
I left a message on Stockard Channing's answering machine, but she still hasn't returned my call. (OK...that's a joke).

Awsome, awsome, awsome search. Have you thought about writing to the actors who wore the uniforms? How about anyone who was responsible for wardobe? At this point desperate times . . .

I have a similar grail which is a Ken Poulsen game used bat. Called up to the Red Sox from double A for 5 games in 1967 he never returned to the majors and has all but disappeared. He is in Cal and, in a pure act of desperation, I contacted his class contact from High School who just ran a reunion and he said that he would pass my name on, but Poulsen never called. One of only 19 bats I need to complete a run of red sox non pitchers from 1960. The fun is the hunt.

lund6771
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
a jersey of any player, but preferably Neal Broten's, that was worn in the Miracle on Ice game against the Russions...

Eurozione would be realy cool...did I spell his name right?

PudgePollyMillerFan
04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Mine would be a Bob Probert Red Wings Jersey from the early part of his career with great wear.

kingjammy24
04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
the 1991 home jersey that Roberto Alomar in the 1991 All-Star Game and then proceeded to wear for the rest of the second-half of the 1991 season. (i know this because it had a font anomaly). boy oh boy. man would that be something. i'd probably be buried in that jersey.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
04-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I had no idea that there were so many fans of "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh".
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3550/cheneyfishcl6.jpg

mdube16
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who enjoys collecting (or trying to collect) tv- and movie-related sports items.

Within the realm of screen (rather than game) used items, I'd have to put that baseball Kevin Costner's character writes "For love of the game" on, in the film of that name. Any uniform item Costner wore in that movie would be nice, too.

I have a costner signed ball with the "for the love of the game" inscription. Every time I look at it I wish it were inscribed "Crash Davis"

both-teams-played-hard
04-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Sure BTPH would love the Set Shot Buford 'gamer', but could he choose between that and a Warren Coolidge 'gamer'? Tough.

I think I would like a Kenny Reeves Bulls gamer, more than a Carver High jersey.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7415/reevesfbullsfy8.jpg
Notice Reeves' hair. It's a toupee! Why did they leave that in the opening credits? Not dissing the folically-challenged...but dang, that's funny...

Canseco44
04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
My Grail would have to be the 1999 Devil Rays Away jersey Canseco wore when he hit HR number 400 on April 14th 1999, which is today and also my birthday. He hit it on my 20th birthday. I have since acquired the bat and ball that he hit 400 with from Jose personally. I had the bat graded by Taube and he gave it a GU10! I will probably never see it, but I can always dream.

Todd

dafivehole
04-14-2008, 08:16 AM
A "REAL" Ricky Williams game worn Dolphins jersey!
:( :( :(