PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Fans

AWA85
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
A gang of us guys are skipping classes next Thursday and heading to the Cards vs. Brewers game. I was wondering, is there pretty good chance of grabbing a few autographs before the game? Any tips would be great, it is a 12:00 game so I plan on getting there early.

stlbats
04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately your chances in STL are not good for autographs. For a 12:00 game, you can get there around 8am and try to get Cardinals driving in, or Brewers cabbing/walking in. As far as inside, the Cardinals are usually impossible. You might score some Brewers beside their dugout during BP.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

bigtruck260
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Autographs in STL?

Here is a little different take.

I saw Brain Barton and Rick Ankiel signing autographs during warmups last Friday...It really just depends where you are seated.

The lack of huge stars this year has made the team a little more accessible. I think the opposing teams stay at the Westin - camp out in the lobby with the other groupies if you have time.

The last autograph I got from a player at Busch was 2006. I was chatting with Greg Maddux on the third baseline and he asked me if I wanted something signed (Say what?)...I never really noticed just how awkwardly built Maddux is...nevertheless, he is a future HOFer and he signed something willingly.

Don't even think about Albert. He is in a place right now where everything he touches has value, and he does not sign for just anyone. Even if he does by chance grab your baseball, he will not put a nice sig on it...

Dave

ahuff
04-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Unfortunately your chances in STL are not good for autographs. For a 12:00 game, you can get there around 8am and try to get Cardinals driving in, or Brewers cabbing/walking in. As far as inside, the Cardinals are usually impossible. You might score some Brewers beside their dugout during BP.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

We last went in 2006. Jason is correct, in that my son was also able to score a few autographs near the Brewers bullpen.

AWA85
04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Ouch, not the good news I was hoping for. I will have to make up my mind between the Brewers or Cardinals. I enjoy just getting to make a little small talk with the players, not always about the autograph but it is nice to have something to show off. ;)

bigtruck260
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Ouch, not the good news I was hoping for. I will have to make up my mind between the Brewers or Cardinals. I enjoy just getting to make a little small talk with the players, not always about the autograph but it is nice to have something to show off. ;)

Take a camera and park yourself in the bleachers during batting practice.
Many of the guys on both teams will chat with you if you initiate it.
Just be courteous of the people who are renting the seats for the game.

Dave

AWA85
04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
You guys called it, no luck on the autographs at the game. Coming in as a Reds fan, who won was not a big deal to me so I got to see a pretty good game (Fielders HR to win the game). Perfect weather and checked out the Cards game used store, some high prices on certain items but I would probably be a little more willing to spend if it was the Reds store.

Tempted to make the 2 hour drive again in a week or so when the Reds are in town.

Birdbats
04-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I was at the same game Thursday, helping with my son's class trip. The teacher's plan was to take everyone down near the dugout and try to get autographs. I knew that would be a waste of time, so I took my six guys out to the right-centerfield bleachers. By the time BP ended, five of my six guys had souvenir balls.

Interesting side note: Two of those balls (used by the Brewers for BP) had the "last season at Shea Stadium" logo on the bottom panel. I'm guessing those were factory rejects given to teams for use in BP.

AWA85
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Not a bad way to spend a school day for those kids. Hoping to have a little different luck on the visitors side when the Reds are in town next week.

Not sure that I am going to try, but what is the policies on bringing in a bat to the stadium? Might try to get one of my bats signed.

Birdbats
04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Not sure that I am going to try, but what is the policies on bringing in a bat to the stadium?

Don't know the official policy. They sell used bats at the stadium, so it would seem odd if they didn't let you bring one in. I've only done it once -- bought one at the stadium store, left the stadium to go out and meet someone, then re-entered the park with my bat. Nobody said anything. I guess if you were questioned by someone at the gate, you could tell them you bought it at the stadium store and was taking it back for a refund or exchange... and hope they don't ask for a receipt. :)

ahuff
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Jeff,

Has anyone told you that there is an uncanny resemblance between you and Mike Greenberg.

stlbats
04-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Last time I tried, which as been a few years, you could bring bats into the stadium. St Louis is actually one of the few MLB parks that allows bats to be brought in.

Jason

Birdbats
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Jeff, has anyone told you that there is an uncanny resemblance between you and Mike Greenberg?

Haven't heard that one before. If nothing else, Greenie and I do have one thing in common -- my wife thinks I'm an idiot, too. I remember listening to Greenie when he was a cub reporter on WSCR in Chicago, doing updates for Terry Boers and Dan McNeil. He's done well for himself.