PDA

View Full Version : Munson Yankees Jersey?

Eric
02-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Does anyone know if the tagging is proper on this 1973 Thurman Munson Set 2 jersey?

I'd love to hear anyone's analysis of this jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yankees-Jersey-15-Thurman-Munson_W0QQitemZ8770414998QQcategoryZ60597QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eric

trsent
02-24-2006, 02:15 AM
All of this guys auctions should be looked at. Cool stuff, but is the tagging even close?

norristrophy
02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Wilson tagging is wrong for a 1973 jersey, ie) no vertical bar and "R" in the wrong place. This is the later Wilson tagging. Remember M&N or one of those throwback companies made 1973 Munson's with the Stadium patch as part of their vintage line as well...

suave1477
02-24-2006, 09:40 AM
YEAH BUT THE FUNNY THING IS YANKWOOD FROM HERE IS BIDDING ON IT!!! LOL LOL:D

Norris your almost right about Mitchell and Ness jerseys, the only thing is this is a wilson jersey!!!!! It says it point blank

sammy
02-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Wilson tagging looks to be from the 1978-85 era.

Pretty good distance in time for a jersey tagged 1973.

Yankwood
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM

Norris your almost right about Mitchell and Ness jerseys, the only thing is this is a wilson jersey!!!!! It says it point blankKids, let this be a lesson to all of you. Never stumble in drunk at 5:30 AM and get on ebay. You never know what you might do.

suave1477
02-24-2006, 01:50 PM
yankwood so retract your bid!!!!

Yankwood
02-24-2006, 02:10 PM
yankwood so retract your bid!!!!I did. But there was a guy drunker than me on ebay recently. Look at the bid amount on item number 8767977398. I'm a Yankee fan, and I like Robinson Cano as a player, but what am I missing?

JimCaravello
02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Forum Readers - I owned this identical jersey for about a week in the early 90's, until a dealer I knew explained to me the problem with the Wilson tag. I was fortunate to get a full refund from the Seller.

The Wilson tag is as mentioned in the threads above, a post 1978 tag used on Yankees jerseys through 1985. I'll never forget this piece - I thought I had struck gold! Its a perfect looking jersey from afar - but there were other problems on the jersey from what I remember, outside of the Wilson tag. The thread used on the strip tag in the collar did not match at all and I believe you could tell that the neck had been opened up. It took a trained eye ( not mine ) to see all these issues. After returning this piece, I decided to stick with game used bats for a while!

Anyway - It would be a great jersey to get for like $100 - would make a great conversation piece! Jim

yanks12025
02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah
This would have been a great fine if it was real. But $900 for that Cano bat thats sad. You can buy one off JT sports for $500.

kingjammy24
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow, my Wilson tagging primer finally comes in handy. Jerseys like this are exactly why I decided to start documenting tagging changes.

At any rate, while I have little knowledge about 70's era Yankee jerseys, there are 2 things about this Munson jersey that confuse me.

1) As others have mentioned, the Wilson tagging is years ahead of 1973 (and 1974; the 50th anniversary patch on the sleeve is from 1974). The Wilson tag seen on the Munson jersey was used from 1978-1985, plus or minus 1 yr on either end to account for any possible research errors on my part.

Whenever I have questions about a superstar jersey, I look at common player jerseys from the same team and same year. To me, the common players dictate how a jersey should be tagged. There's no reason, for example, that in 1973 Thurman Munson would've been tagged any different than Roy White.

Take a look at this image:

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1144/yanks0sb.jpg

Here are some of my observations pertaining to the image above:
- in 1973, Wilson did indeed use a tag with a red bar. See the 1973 NYY Roy White as well as the SF Giants Garry Maddox.

- In 1974, Wilson revised their tag again and this revision lasted until 1977. This specific revision is seen in the 1976 NYY Bob Lemon tag. Note the differences from the 1973 NYY Roy White tag.

- In 1978, Wilson again revised their tag and this revision lasted until 1985. This specific revision is seen in the 1984 NYY Jeff Torborg and 1985 NYY Mike Pagliarulo. The main difference between this version and the previous version is in the "n" in "Wilson". This updated version lacks the uplifted serif of the previous version. Other differences are also apparent.

Given this information, how is it that in 1973, Munson was wearing a newer tag than Lemon wore in 1976? How is it that in 1973, Munson was wearing a tag that is identical to the tag worn by Torborg and Pagliarulo 11 yrs later?

2) The "M" in the "Munson" neck tag concerns me. If you look at the Yankee tags above, the Yankees often used a very elaborate, "swirly" style of font. Although they're pants, look at the script in the 1973 Munson road pants above. The "M" in the Munson Ebay jersey is about as basic as you can get. Where are the typical Yankee swirls? Wouldn't the Yankees have used the same script for jerseys and pants in 1973? It just doesn't appear to be the same style of script that the Yankees seemed to employ during that time period in their neck tagging.

I'm sure there are some Forum members who have Yankee jerseys from this era and can add further insight. The Wilson tag though is more than alarming on its own.

Rudy.

suave1477
02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
yanks that bat is real!!!

norristrophy
02-27-2006, 08:55 AM

Norris your almost right about Mitchell and Ness jerseys, the only thing is this is a wilson jersey!!!!! It says it point blank

I know I was just pointing out that since the Wilson tag was obviously bad that the jersey might just be a doctored up M&N jersey or something with a later Wilson tag added.

trsent
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
The jersey is definitely not a Mitchell & Ness jersey. The seller thinks the tagging is from 1974, but it is definitely from the late 1970s and the jersey cannot be authentic based on the fact that the year sewn into the jersey and Wilson tag are from different eras.

The auction for the Munson was ended by the seller early with no high bidder.

suave1477
02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Well I just checked out of curiousity Mitchell & Ness did not make a Munson Jersey. So wheter someone took one and changed the numbers on it is a different story, but as an actual Munson Jersey they didn't make!!

Eric
02-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Suave-

You're actually incorrect about this. I found the Mitchell Ness Munson jersey with the same patch last week. I'll try to post a photo
Eric

Eric
02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/mn-yk77h.gif

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,MN-BSYK73H15.html?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-MN-BSYK73H15

Yankwood
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
hic.......I'll give ya $200 for it.........hiccup.

kingjammy24
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Correction: I stated earlier in this thread that the 50th anniversary patch is from 1974. This is incorrect. The patch is from 1973.

The funny thing about this jersey is that whoever made it was tripped up by the fact that they chose to sew 1973 onto the tag. Why 1973 of all years? And then to also sew on a corresponding patch?
Why not choose 1978? Munson was still playing for the Yankees, the Wilson tag would've been consistent with the year, and they wouldn't have had to bother with any patches. Bizarre.

Rudy.

trsent
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Bizarre.

"Pele yells "we're outta here", Seena says "right on"
Make your moves and starting grooves, before they knew we're gone
Jump into the chevy, headed for big lights,
Wanna know the rest? Hey, buy the rights

How bizarre, how bizarre, how bizarre"

Ok, enough quoting OMC.

I believe someone earlier in the thread said this same jersey was offered to them years ago. I would assume based on the similar items the seller has for sale that this jersey was doctored years prior back when there was no internet available for people to check tags as readily and we can these days.

suave1477
02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Eric i find that strange i checked the mitchell and ness website and its not there that must be an old one