PDA

View Full Version : if you saw lou lampson what would you say/do?

jonincleve
04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
there are some posts about the cleveland national last year where lou lampson was spotted at the ami booth. i am curious what people would actually say/do if this scenario presented itself.

here is the scenario
you are walking around the national and you see lou lampson at the ami booth.
1) he is sitting in the back section roughly 10-15 feet away from where you are standing and he is eating his lunch.
2) he is standing 5 feet away from you and he is talking on the phone.

here is my take.
first, lampson was at ami's booth for maybe a 1/2 hour tops on friday. by the time i was able to get my pitchfork and find a match to light my torch he was gone.

nathan asked him about the green ripken and was blown off. nathan told me he was at the table and i went over to take a look. both times i went over the two above scenarios happened. so just because he is a bad authenticator doesn't mean i am going to make an ass out of myself to call him out. was i suppose to call out over the table while he is eating or talking to another person 'hey lou how come you can't get such and such right?' what type of reaction do you think i would get? should i have stalked him during the day and corner him in the bathroom...lou can you tell me why you did not check photos for a style match, i demand an answer! he is not going to give me the time of day especially when i have no financial interest in an item i am questioning.

my opinion is he is not worth my time. why would i want to spend a half hour of my time waiting to confront lou lampson over things he missed. what i did do was talk to mike specht over at the game used universe booth for 10-15 minutes and found out that they took in a rookie grady sizemore jersey, which i ended up winning in the fall auction. how many grady sizemore jerseys has ami had for auction over the last two years? how many have been looked at by lou lampson? 5-6 jerseys maybe. where did i spend my money, game used universe. i think my actions speak very loud and clear. the fact is ami and their auction practices +lou lampson are factors in buying decisions.

at the national i was able to talk to mike specht about the process of how the sam crawford bat was authenticated. it was a nice civil conversation and i learn a lot. at the ami booth i saw lou lampson, never got his attention to ask about the harvey haddix cleveland indians jersey they had in their next auction. i was also told he was busy. guess where i spent my money, game used universe.

i guess if i had an item that he made a mistake on, i might 'wait him out' and confront him. otherwise i do not feel i was a coward, i feel i was respectful and bottom line my money went a different route.

again just curious if you had the same opportunity what would you have done?

take care
john
jonincleve@sbcglobal.net

mvandor
04-09-2008, 10:54 AM
How do you look in stripes Lou? I hear those horizontals add 10 pounds.

rose14
04-09-2008, 11:09 AM
John, glad to hear that you got the Grady Sizemore rookie jersey. That was my jersey that I consigned.

lund6771
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I would ask him first how he can even sleep at night...

then it can go from there