PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel: 1991 Favre Falcons Game Jersey

mattmueller
04-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Time to help the newbie again. I was not aware that game jerseys should ever have XL size tags. What years were those used by the Falcons? Did Favre wear a size XL in any other years?

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18190

On the left front tail is the "Champion" manufacturers tag with jersey size "XL" and wash instructions. The player number "4" is on the front, back, and both sleeves in white on red heavy vinyl lettering. Across the back is the player name "FAVRE" done in the same heavy vinyl lettering on a black nameplate. The "Champion" logo patch is at the bottom of the right and left sleeve. At the front "V-neck is the official "NFL" logo patch. This jersey was originally sourced from Ebay and we are unable to determine if this is bench or game worn. The jersey shows light quarterback use with a few impact marks and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

Eric
04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
It would be interesting to find the original ebay listing for this jersey. Can anyone track it down?

mattmueller
04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
As Guy mentioned in an email to me, the number font appears to be a bit different from photos as well.

commando
04-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Three more card photos that do not show a front numeral match. Please note that these card photos may have been taken during the pre season, for what it's worth... If I were trying to photomatch this jersey, my next step would be to browse as many 1991 Falcon photos as possible, regardless of the player. A good first step would be to prove that ANY Falcons player wore a "4" similar to the one on this jersey.

aeneas01
04-12-2008, 06:29 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/03-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/01-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/02-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/04-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/05-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/06-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/08-1.jpg

commando
04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Good finds, aeneas! You found a couple of photos of a jersey that match the numeral style -- a jersey that was obviously presented to Favre by the team as a "welcome shirt."

Unfortunately, that shirt doesn't have the NFL crest in the collar!

G1X
04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
A little background on Falcons jerseys. The Falcons wore Russell from 1975 throught 1996 with the exception being the preseason in 1990 when they wore Champion (switched back to Russell for the 1990 regular season) and Champion again for the entire 1991 season.

Champion jerseys in that era are easy to distinguish from Russell because of the number and lettering font. While the Falcons Russell jerseys had sewn-on lettering on the name plate (screened-on numbers), the Champion jerseys had the unique cursive lettering font that was screened-on to the plate. The lettering was white trimmed in red on the black jerseys. Attached are photos of a jersey from each season that shows the unique Champion lettering font. Especially note the "R".

Also observe the number "4" on the 1990 jersey of #41-Tim Gordon. It matches the font in the game photos of Favre, but not the one in the auction. Interestingly, in the photos posted by aeneas01 (Robert), the publicity shot with Glanville and the publicity photo where Favre is wearing a Falcons' cap both have a "4" that seems to match the font of the auction jersey. However, this is a style of "4" that is usually seen on Russell jerseys, not the Champion jerseys used by the Falcons. That would explain the two publicity photos as those could be Russell jerseys which leaves the Champion jersey in the auction as having a "4" that is not typical for Falcons' Champion jerseys of that era.

Regarding the tagging, I have owned many Falcons' jerseys from the 1990 preseason (when they wore Champion as previously explained) and all have a "numbered" size tag plus a 100% nylon flag tag. Unfortunately, the 1991 Champion jerseys seem to be much harder to locate as I have only had two in my collection. I had a Mike Rozier at one time and it had the "numbered" size on the tag. The one currently in my collection has been shortened and trimmed, and no tags remain.

This by no means inplies that anything is wrong with the Favre jersey, it's just that I've never seen a "lettered" size tag on a Falcons Champion jersey from either year (granted that I've only had two from 1991), the lettering is different than typical Champion-era Falcons jerseys, and the "4" appears to be an anomaly.

Having said all of that, I will be the first to step up to the microphone and loudly proclaim that there are always "exceptions to the rules" when it comes to football jerseys as I've seen many legitimate exceptions in my travels in this hobby over the past 33 years.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

commando
04-13-2008, 02:03 AM
My simple question to Grey Flannel is "what photo matches or techniques did YOU use to conclude this a Brett Favre gamer?"

We can do all the homework we want, but SURELY Grey Flannel has a basis for calling this a gamer and starting the bidding at $2,500 (and they do have a first bid on the item).

cohibasmoker
04-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Guys, look at the font style on the jersey with the NFL shield versus the jersey without the NFL shield. Then compare the jersey that Grey Flannel is offering.

Jim

beavisrules
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I find the "XL" on the size tag one of the most concerning aspects of this jersey - does anyone have "modern" (1990 and later) champion game worn jerseys without a jersey numerical size? I have seen 1970s champion jerseys without the numerical size, but not something this modern, although I have not had the years of experience that a lot of other collectors have, hence why I ask the question. As Mark pointed out, his other Falcons jerseys from the same time period had numerical sizes on them. Thanks.

hblakewolf
04-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I find the "XL" on the size tag one of the most concerning aspects of this jersey - does anyone have "modern" (1990 and later) champion game worn jerseys without a jersey numerical size? I have seen 1970s champion jerseys without the numerical size, but not something this modern, although I have not had the years of experience that a lot of other collectors have, hence why I ask the question. As Mark pointed out, his other Falcons jerseys from the same time period had numerical sizes on them. Thanks.

Have you contacted Grey Flannel with your concern, and also asked how this particular jersey is being offered as a correctly tagged and worn gamer? Possibly they have additional informaton on the tagging that may assist you.

Their email address is GFCSPORTS@aol.com

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

mvandor
04-13-2008, 09:47 AM
The auction jersey font seems to match the PR shot jerseys, open center of the 4 and longer lower portion of the 4. Doesn't it?

G1X
04-13-2008, 11:01 AM
mvandor and Jim,

I believe that I outlined both of your issues about the differing number font in my original post. Please let me know if I need to elaborate further.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

beavisrules
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Have you contacted Grey Flannel with your concern, and also asked how this particular jersey is being offered as a correctly tagged and worn gamer? Possibly they have additional informaton on the tagging that may assist you.

Their email address is GFCSPORTS@aol.com

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

I have not, because I will not be a bidder on this item. I am very interested in learning more about the "XL" tagging, however, in regards to historical tagging of game worn champion jerseys. So, let me re-phrase my initial statement in my post to reflect this interest more accurately:

"I find the "XL" on the size tag one of the most INTERESTING and CURIOUS aspects of this jersey."

Again, I ask those with game worn champion jerseys from this era (when champion had initially changed their tags to this style), do any of your jerseys have non-numerical size tags on them? I have a Falcons jersey that pre-dates this Favre jersey (it is from the 1980s) with the older style champion tag. I checked it today, and it has a numerical size on it rather than L or XL on it. Would appreciate any information for my own education on this topic.

Thanks for your time, and sorry if my initial post was misleading.

G1X
04-13-2008, 06:49 PM
beavisrules,

Not meaning to get off track from the Favre jersey, but as mentioned in my initial post, the Falcons wore Russell from 1975 to 1996 with the exception of the Champion jerseys in the 1990 preseason and during the entire 1991 season. Before Russell, they wore Sand Knit dating to the early 1970s (my collection of game-worn Falcons jerseys runs from 1971 to 2006). I am not sure what you have if it is a Champion jersey that is not from the 1990 and 1991 seasons.

Below is a collage of Falcons tagging from 1976 through 1998. I can provide more examples if helpful. If you would like, please send me some photos of the Champion jersey at gixc@verizon.net and I will look into this for you.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Eric
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
The Favre Falcons jersey sold for $3300

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail3.aspx?lotid=18190