PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre bats

Yankwood
02-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Jim and Mike, you crazy cats-I have a question about Joe Torre bats. I realize that that was a very childlike rhyme, but it entertained me. I have 2 Torre Adirondack bats from the 70s. One red ring Cardinal bat and one blue ring from Mets days. Both model 129A. My question is, during the late 60's, early 70s, what models H & B did Mr. Torre use, with specifics given to length and weight. With regarde to Hillerich and Bradsby, in the future I am looking to Catch-a-torre.

JimCaravello
02-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Terry - the 129A models you are referring to are knobless bats if I am not mistaken. During the late 60's and early 70's, its not surprising to see that Torre's orders from Louisville were primarily U1 model bats - which are knobless bats that Clemente made famous for collectors. As a matter of fact, from August of 1962 unitl July of 1973, Torre placed 92 different orders for bats - 84 of those orders were for U1 model bats. Most of the U1 orders were 35" in length, ounces primarily between 33 ounces and 35 ounces. Hope this info helps - let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jim

Yankwood
02-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Jim.

MSpecht
02-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Here is some interesting bat trivia about Joe Torre and Adirondack bats:

Joe;s last 'regular' order of Louisville Sluggers was in March, 1970, and he had placed only two orders in 1969. He did, however, receive All Star bats (35 inch/ 35 ounce Model U1's) from H & B in 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973.

According to Jeff Scott on his BirdBats website -- www.BirdBats.com (http://www.BirdBats.com) --
Joe's brother, Frank, was a sales rep for Adirondack in the late 1960's. After Frank joined Rawlings, Joe switched to Adirondack almost exclusively. Many other Cardinals players switched to Adirondack at that time also, because Frank gave them preferential treatment and extraordinary service.

Good Luck.

Mike

sayhey24
02-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Mike and Jim -- this a great service you're providing to the hobby! Mike you're right about Frank Torre - I just came across a 1982 Cardinals World Series bat made for Joe Garagiola by Adirondack -- it's still in the original plastic with Frank Torre's business card inside the plastic.

Greg