PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkely Auburn Away Jersey help needed, please?

GSUTim47
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi!

Does anyone know where I can find information on Charles' blue Auburn away basketball jerseys? I have what may be his last year's jersey, as I have letters from both a former coach and the former equipment manager, but am trying to cover all of my bases. I have looked up photos on Getty Images, but have been unable to find a blue/away image, only white home. The "R" of the Rawlings tag I've found on these home jersey photos is the same, but can't match the size due to angle of photo. Any help on specifications, other images posted, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. I have photos of the jersey I have, if it would help for me to post them. Thanks again!

GSUTim47
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
B-A-R-K-L-E-Y....sorry; it's hard to type with a broken finger!?:cool:

otismalibu
04-15-2008, 01:50 PM
You could try emailing the University. They might have some online archives or they may dig out a pic for you.

http://diglib.auburn.edu/contact.html

GSUTim47
04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Greg!

otismalibu
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Two more options I've used with some success.

1) Try and find an Auburn yearbook (below). I've even offered a seller a few bucks via Paypal to scan a page or two for me.

http://tinyurl.com/6dz2qv

2) Contact the local newspaper (photo archives) that would have covered the Auburn games and see if they have a print you could buy.

Good luck.

rugbyau
04-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Try searching the university's web page. I'm an Auburn grad, they have pictures of Barkley all over the arena. I imagine there's something on him on their sites.

Auburn also has an info line that used to pride themselves on answering random questions like that. 334-844-4244. It's the help desk at Foy Student Union. Its worth a phone call...they may know.

rugbyau
04-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Also, if the jersey is a piece you don't want to keep, let me know. joeduncan@mail.com

GSUTim47
04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks....I appreciate the help!

GSUTim47
04-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Just an update....I've gotten some great responses from several of the links/web-sites that were recommended, and I appreciate all of the help!

If anyone has access to a photo of either white/home or blue/away Auburn jersey that shows the Rawlings tag with the SIZE showing...or happen to know what size he might have worn....I would appreciate that, also, please. Charles always seems to have his jersey tail out as he played, but unfortunately I can't read the size on any of the photos I've seen.

Thank you again for all of the help....I'm sooo much further along than before; you all have been great!

T

GSUTim47
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm going to try and upload some photos of the jersey I have...plus a photo sent from AU? Thanks!

CollectGU
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
The font on the front Auburn and yours are very different. Look closely at the fabric in between the cut outs for the letters and yours....

Regards,
Dave

otismalibu
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Isn't that 3 color trim around the arm and neck openings in the game photo?

I can't even see any side stripes on the game photo.

Did they have names on back?

GSUTim47
04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I see what you are saying....the jersey was given to me, so no harm done!? Thanks!!!

GSUTim47
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's a home jersey with font more closely resembling mine....with a stripe...so now I'm REALLY confused!? LOL!

John in KY
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm going to try and upload some photos of the jersey I have...plus a photo sent from AU? Thanks!

The photo from Auburn is from a different season; Auburn did wear the uniforms with verticle stripes for most of Barkley's years there; I think the photo with the other font/trim is from his freshman year; the other photo in the white uniform that is close to your road jersey is from a later year.

Also, look at the Kentucky uniforms - that would be from the brief time when they had light blue trim on their uniforms which would be circa 1980-82.

GSUTim47
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks, John... I truly appreciate the input! I also noticed the different "hairstyle," as Charles went from a full head of hair to a close-cut!? :)

GSUTim47
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Barkley was at ECU a couple of weeks ago, and I had him signed the jersey. He asked where I got it, and I told him that the "Auburn equipment manager had stashed it away in his closet all those years ago, and a former coach found it in 1995." Barkley gave me that "yeah...what a likely story" look, until I told him the equipment guys went by "....something....uh....Wild Bill!!?" Barkley's eyes got VERY wide, and he said, "Yes...I wouldn't doubt that"...and he thought mine came from his junior year!?