PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Doerr Lathe Bat

JCC1968
04-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi

I am very excited about my recent purchase from L.F. Collectibles. Thought i would share. i am hoping to get Mr. Doerr to sign

Jason

Vintage Louisville Slugger Lathe Bat/Bobby Doerr - Red Sox

Player: bobby Doerr
Label:
DDD:
Era: 1936
Teams: Red Sox
SideWritten: Doerr Special 44 oz Robt. Doerr 1-9-36 Hollywood
TeamsSideWritten: Comments: lathe Bobby Doerr bat, side written date verified by Louisville Slugger shipping records, part of the Louisville Slugger archives- elected HOF 1986

http://www.leftfieldcollectibles.com/lfc/vintagebats/images/vb02132.jpg (http://www.leftfieldcollectibles.com/lfc/vintagebats/images/vb02132.jpg)

Vintagedeputy
04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I would not have the player sign that bat.

Anything inkwise written on it would mar the beautiful vintage writing and intent of the writing. I'd rather have a signed photo of Doerr holding the bat with an inscription or comment about the bat.

Awesome bat though!

JCC1968
04-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi

This brings up an interesting point. Should i have Mr. Doerr sign it or should i leave it the way it's been for all these years? I kinda fell it adds something to the value and shows that the bat and play have made a connection. I would have him sign on the opposite side of the grease marks. Is it is kinda a historical bat should i leave it the way it is? I am interested in anyones opninon and comments on what they would or would not do.

Thanks
Jason

shoremen44
04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Jason,
I prefer my gamers unsigned, as I like the bat the way the player would have used it.

Especially for this bat though... definately leave it the way it has been for so long.

corsairs22
04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
It depends on the sort of bats that you collect. If you have a lot of signed bats, why not have him sign it on the side opposite the sidewriting? If you collect mostly vintage bats, then you would probably leave it as it is. On the other hand, since it's a lathe bat, it might be nice to have him sign it so that you know that he actually held it in his hands.

JCC1968
04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Corsair

I tend to agree with you. I feel why not have him sign it? I can feel that it can only add to the value and give the player and bat a chance to make a connection? I have had several vintage bats signed by players and they always smile and recall memories of the times they were playing. i don't know if i am hurting the bat or helping it. I am leaning toward having him sign it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jason

ndevlin
04-16-2008, 06:10 PM
This is just my opinion, and Im sure a lot of you will disagree with me, and thats fine. But I would not get this bat signed by him. To me, getting a present day auto from an oldtimer, on a vintage item, can really decrease the value of the item. I, personally, wouldnt fork over as much money on an item that has been signed on a vintage item, or hell, I probably wouldnt even buy it. Sure, there are circumstances, but we're talking about a beautiful 1936 bat, a piece of history, with a 2008 signature on it. Just doesnt sound logical. And it doesnt help the fact that his autographs are a dime a dozen.

JCC1968
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi

I appreicate your answer and i understand were you are coming from. Maybe his signature would sent it back some.(value wise) But i think the connection with the bat and player might be special. I have enformed a friend of Mr.Doerr's about the bat and he is excited to see it. (How many people can say that today about current playplayers?) I might go for the connection link. I am also one of those people who like signatures on their memorbilia. Still would like to hear from other people on this.

Jason

bat_master
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Jason,

I have to agree with several of the others and say that I'm not sure it would be the best idea to get it signed.

The difference with a lathe bat as opposed to a regular signature model gamer is that to the best of my knowledge the majority of lathe bats never leave the factory so the connection to the player will be minimal.

I would guess that in looking over a lathe bat an old time player might possibly recognize the shape as being familiar by touch but nothing else since lathe bats in most cases aren't branded. True, there are some bats that were produced, used, and then were returned to the factory for branding. This Doerr bat isn't one of them and in those cases I'm not sure they would even be considered lathe bats.

In my opinion, a lathe bat would almost be a more interesting item from a connection standpoint if it had been signed by the late Henry Morrow of H&B.

Nate brought up a good point though as well about a vintage bat having a modern autograph. He definitely got me thinking about not having Mr. Doerr sign my Doerr circa 1940 gamer in June. At this point it would be the only bat in collection that is signed as he is the one that is still living.

Food for thought though anyway. I would just do what makes you happy.

JCC1968
04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Tim

Hope all is well; i understand everyone's point and agree and disagree. I personally like signed bats. I feel it gives alittle more to the items and reconnects the player to the item. I feel that more historical items will increase in valve over time with a signature. I had Hank Aaron sign my Tommie Aaron bat. I just like the connection and i can't afford a game used Aaron bat

Thanks
Jason

JCC1968
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi

I am think and looking a the bat it is truely beautful piece. I am exited about having Mr. Doerr look at the bat. It is made of Hickory? Side writing is nice and clear and there is alot of room on the other side for an autograph I was think to have Mr. Doerr sign it and then put "my first master index bat" "Hollywood Stars 1936 "

what dou you think?

MSpecht
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Jason

Great bat !!! According to Doerr's H & B factory records, he returned a bat to H & B on 1/9/1936 (no indication if it was a H & B bat that was returned) and H & B made a model off of that bat. This bat was then used to manufacture four ash bats which were then shipped to Doerr with specifications 34.5 inches / 44 oz. Later, on 6/10/36, three bats were shipped to him made off of this lathe bat, modified as follows: 35 in / 35 oz / White Hickory. interestingly, those were the last bats ordered off of "His (Doerr's) 1-9-36" --Doerr Special.

Subsequent Doerr index bats were "His 8-4-39" (D2), "His 4-10-41" (C43 changed to D90) and "His 2-15-43 "(D34).

Personally, I like your idea to have the bat signed by Mr. Doerr with the description you indicated. The difficult decision for me would be whether to have it signed on the back as you mentioned, or to have it signed in a manner where both the sidewriting and his signature are visible in display.

Good Luck. Please post some photos afterwards.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

JCC1968
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Mike

Thank you for your support! It means alot to hear feedback. Thanks for your support. Bob Doerr is one of my favorite HOFers. Over the years he has always signed items and written letters in response to my questions about his playing days. In other words, Mr. Doerr has NEVER let me down! He has always signed for free too. How many HOFers do that now? Not many i know i written to most of them. He has only asked for a donation to his church if i can afford it. Which i have been happy to do. I have always been searching for a game used item of his and when i saw the lathe bat. i knew i wanted something that was from his playing days. (or at least represented them) When i told his friend who handles alot of his signed things now about the bat he said that Mr. Doerr was EXCITED to see the bat and to sign it. He also said he would answer any questions about the bat. Who does that today? Case in point. I sent a Reggie Jackson gamer to be signed by him. After sending a hefty check for this, i also enclosed a few questions for Mr. Jackson with the bat. when i called his rep he said Reggie doesn't remember the bat and doesn't have time to answer questions. Hmmmmmm he sure had time to deposit my check.......... not to dwell on others my point is Mr. Doerr is the greatest player to me. He takes time out for his fans and is truely interested in what we have to say. He is kind and gracious to us. And i know he signs alot and is not worth big money, but it not about the money for me it is about the man. As Babe Ruth said "Ted Williams is not the head of the Boston Red Sox it is Bobby Doerr" God bless you Mr. Doerr "

P.S, Sorry, Ted, Babe said it not me

Jason

commando
04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Jason,

Would you email me? My email address is policefan71@yahoo.com. I live very close to Mr. Doerr and have a question. Thanks! -- Anthony

ndevlin
04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi Jason,

I say, if you want to get it signed, then get it signed. Sounds like it will make you happy to do so, then go for it. Like Tim said, its personal preference.

GameBats
04-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I would have it signed and inscribed with a ballpoint pen. I would not encourage you to have it signed with a sharpie.

JCC1968
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi

Why a ball point pen instead of a sharpie? Should I do a ball point pen if he signs the same sides as the grease markings? I was planning on a black sharpie on the oppposite side of the grease markings.

Thanks
Jason

GameBats
05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
My opinion.......

The sharpie signature will become the focal point. It will take away the vintage charm of the bat.

There is a very good possibility the sharpie will bleed and/or fade.

The ballpoint signature (utilizing the proper ballpoint pen) will not harm the vintage charm and will not bleed into the wood. The bat will remain the focal point.

JCC1968
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi

Wanted to give an update. After everyones advise i decided few things:

1) to have the bat signed on the opposite side of the factory writing

2) to have Mr. Doerr sign the bat and put my first master index bat hollywood stars 1936

3) to have Mr. Doerr sign with an ultra fine sharpie pen. instead of a regular sharpie

Thanks for everyone's help

Jason

JCC1968
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I used a fine Sharpie Marker for Mr. Doerr to sign the bat with. To keep the vintage look intacted. Mr. Doerr for it cumbsome and a pain in the a##. but, like a trooper he did it. When i get it back i will place pics. I decided to do the opposite side to the factory markings.

Jason

JCC1968
06-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Guys

Bob Doerr signed my Lathe Bat. Thought i would share

Jason

MSpecht
06-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Jason --

Very, very well done !!!

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com