PDA

View Full Version : TriStar Conventions

frikativ54
04-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Dear Game Used Forum Collectors,

I was just curious if TriStar Conventions are worth going to. My Mom and I are considering flying to Houston this June for the convention, and then seeing some Astros games in the Dodgers series thereafter.

Is there typically much game-used stuff? How are the people who run the shows? Do you actually get to chat with players, or is it more of a conveyor-belt type feeling? Is it expensive?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Frik

suave1477
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Frik from the the shows that Tri Star puts on here in New York its just like any other Autograph signing show a few players signing at tables conveyor belt style and if you get a few moments to speak with a player than good for you.
The rest is just vendors selling Cards and Autographed memorabilia. Never seen anything Game Used unless it's AMI which came to a show to prmote an auction they had coming up.

I am not saying any of this in a bad way just letting you know its a regular autograph show.

nick1980
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
no game used items, lots of cards some autographs, fairly quick going through autograph line. If there is a player you really want to meet then go if it is just because there is a show I would say pass on it.

TNTtoys
04-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Same experience here, but not a surprise because I am local to suave. I went to a couple. Steep cover charge, lots of tables of mainly sports cards, no game used items, very high priced autographs (superstars).
I don't plan to go to another unless someone extremely rare is signing, and even then, I would have to ask myself if it's worth the time & money.

Texans
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
There are no game used jersey on sell at the Tristar shows. If you plan to get multiple autograph of the Astros player I recommond you get a VIP package. Those lines for the Astros are very long. Most of the players dont really talk to the fans. The only time players talk to me if I buy those expensive photo ops or if the players is not well known. The only reason why I go to these shows is to take a picture. Most of the items you can heavily reduce on ebay with a Tristar hologram

Jojo

Texans
04-16-2008, 03:32 PM
There are no game used jersey on sell at the Tristar shows. If you plan to get multiple autograph of the Astros player I recommond you get a VIP package. Those lines for the Astros are very long. Most of the players dont really talk to the fans. The only time players talk to me if I buy those expensive photo ops or if the players is not well known. The only reason why I go to these shows is to take a picture. Most of the items you can buy heavily reduce on ebay with a Tristar hologram

Jojo1

frikativ54
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
There are no game used jersey on sell at the Tristar shows. If you plan to get multiple autograph of the Astros player I recommond you get a VIP package. Those lines for the Astros are very long. Most of the players dont really talk to the fans. The only time players talk to me if I buy those expensive photo ops or if the players is not well known. The only reason why I go to these shows is to take a picture. Most of the items you can heavily reduce on ebay with a Tristar hologram

Jojo

Can you tell me about the VIP package. How much does it cost? What about the photo ops? How much do they cost? There isn't really any info on the TriStar website.

Thanks!

-Frik

bushwickbill
04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Can you tell me about the VIP package. How much does it cost? What about the photo ops? How much do they cost? There isn't really any info on the TriStar website.

Thanks!

-Frik

just give them a call (713) 666-9595

cjclong
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I went to a tri star show to get Jerry Rice's autograph. He could not have been nicer. He talked to me as he was autographing, made sure I didn't smear the autograph after he signed and even let me have my picture taken with him for free even though there was a set up earlier where they charged for photographs taken with him. At the same show both Bob Feller and Joe Morgan were real nice and talked with me for a couple of minutes and also let me take a picture. I suspect how you are treated at a show depends on the player. Those that relate to fans are nice and those who don't can be rude. Like the others who have posted, I think this is primarily an autograph show with little or no game used items you would want.

Texans
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
They are not going to list price until April 18 on there site. I took a picture with Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt. I think it cost about $60 each. To me you can always get an auto of them at any time on ebay but a picture with a player of your favorite team its awesome. At first I did not want to pay for pictures but I hate dealing with the problem of finding someone to take the picture and making sure the picture came out ok. It made it easier but cost money.

Jojo

loumud
04-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Jojo

Frik,

I don't know about some of the other posts here, but I went to the last Tri Star show in Houston in January and there were some dealers selling some game used items there. I can't say that it was a huge selection, but there were some items available and the asking prices weren't too bad. There was one dealer that had a home red Carlos Lee autographed GU jersey for $800, and several Lee and Alex Gordon game usd autographed bats. There were also a lot of sportscard and memorabilia dealers as well, so there was a little bit for everyone. I was in town visiting from San Diego, and I can honestly say that I was fairly pleased with my experience at the show the 2 days I went. There's obviously no guaranty that the next show will be the same, but I anticipate that there will probably be another good mix of dealers and items available at the next show in June. I am definitely planning to head back to Houston for that show (oh, and also to visit my family!). Also, this will also be one of Lance Berkman's first paid signings in quite some time. He's become pretty elusive over the past few years, so there may be a pretty good turnout for this one overall. Hope this helps!

loumud
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Frik,

I don't know about some of the other posts here, but I went to the last Tri Star show in Houston in January and there were some dealers selling some game used items there. I can't say that it was a huge selection, but there were some items available and the asking prices weren't too bad. There was one dealer that had a home red Carlos Lee autographed GU jersey for $800, and several Lee and Alex Gordon game usd autographed bats. There were also a lot of sportscard and memorabilia dealers as well, so there was a little bit for everyone. I was in town visiting from San Diego, and I can honestly say that I was fairly pleased with my experience at the show the 2 days I went. There's obviously no guaranty that the next show will be the same, but I anticipate that there will probably be another good mix of dealers and items available at the next show in June. I am definitely planning to head back to Houston for that show (oh, and also to visit my family!). Also, this will also be one of Lance Berkman's first paid signings in quite some time. He's become pretty elusive over the past few years, so there may be a pretty good turnout for this one overall. Hope this helps!

One more thing, I do agree that the prices Tri Star is commanding for autographs are pretty steep! But, that's pretty much across the board these days with companies like Steiner, Triumph and GSTM, to name a few. Steiner is absolutely outrageous with their prices, so I think it's unfortunate that they're signing some big-named players to exclusive deals. You can often times find Steiner items on ebay for half what you would have paid buying them straight through the company! But, the big thing to note with the June Tri Star show is the Berkman appearance, which is one of the first shows he's done in a while that I know of. If you live in the Houston area, you might be able to get him at Fanfest or the Astros Caravan, but be prepared to wait several hours in line. Also, he doesn't sign much at ballparks during the season anymore! I was lucky to get him once during the recent Astrs/Padres series here in SD, but it's the first time I have seen him sign here in over 2 years! Others might have different experiences, though.

Texans
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Prices are up now

http://www.tristarproductions.com/shows/HOU608/schedule.htm

frikativ54
04-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Prices are up now

http://www.tristarproductions.com/shows/HOU608/schedule.htm

Nice talking with you, Jojo. :) Here is a breakdown of how much it will cost me to get a signed, personalized photo-opp with the Puma/Fat Elvis:

$60 - a photo of me and Berkman
$60 - Puma's John Hancock
$20 - "to Frik"
$20 - 8 x 10

Anybody else think this is crazy? :confused:

allstarsplus
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Anybody else think this is crazy? :confused:

Frik - The main question is whether it is worth it to you? You generally pay a premium to get an item signed in person.

Remember, it typically costs TriStar or any other company more money to transport the player to a venue and then the amount of time it takes to do a public signing so those costs are being passed on to the customer.

It takes an athlete more time to sign 500 pieces in public then it does to sign 500 pieces in a private room that is set up like an assembly line.

Since many of these autograph shows sell well, it seems most are willing to pay the Premium.

My favorite first-hand story of whether an autograph was worth the money was of the Barry Bonds/ARod "Holiday" show they did in New York City on Dec 11th, 2004. Most people were getting premium items signed as the cost for a package of 1 sig from each was $1,050. There is a mother and a kid that came to the event and the kid had a fresh out of the box MLB ball he was going to get signed. I said to the mother, you can buy a Bonds ball off of eBay for $175 and she says thats OK, my son wants to meet Barry Bonds. So, I guess that is the mindset some people have.

Andrew

loumud
04-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Frik - The main question is whether it is worth it to you? You generally pay a premium to get an item signed in person.

Remember, it typically costs TriStar or any other company more money to transport the player to a venue and then the amount of time it takes to do a public signing so those costs are being passed on to the customer.

It takes an athlete more time to sign 500 pieces in public then it does to sign 500 pieces in a private room that is set up like an assembly line.

Since many of these autograph shows sell well, it seems most are willing to pay the Premium.

My favorite first-hand story of whether an autograph was worth the money was of the Barry Bonds/ARod "Holiday" show they did in New York City on Dec 11th, 2004. Most people were getting premium items signed as the cost for a package of 1 sig from each was $1,050. There is a mother and a kid that came to the event and the kid had a fresh out of the box MLB ball he was going to get signed. I said to the mother, you can buy a Bonds ball off of eBay for $175 and she says thats OK, my son wants to meet Barry Bonds. So, I guess that is the mindset some people have.

Andrew

Andrew's absolutely right - the autos are really worth what you're willing to pay for them. But, since Tri Star came out with a pricelist for everything, I would say that I personally think that the prices they're charging for Berkman and Oswalt are fairly reasonable. Someone might disagree, but it's my opinion. Berkman's inherited the position of being the Astros franchise player since Biggio retired, and I think he's got a good shot at the HOF if he stays healthy. Ditto for Oswalt. In person, I know Oswalt is a little easier to obtain autographs from, though he's not very talkative at times. But, I also know that many times you can't be the setting of an organized signing for the quality of the autograph. In person you never know what you'll get. I've gotten Oswalt multiple times in person on balls and 8x10s at the park here in SD, but sometimes he signature comes out extremely sloppy and difficult to make out. No so when he's sitting down at a table taking the time to sign each signature. Just my thoughts!

frikativ54
04-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Is there enough stuff at the convention to be there for two days? How large is it?

loumud
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Is there enough stuff at the convention to be there for two days? How large is it?

Not sure about the exact size. but the last one was probably anywhere from 60-100 tables? Quite a wide range, but I'm sure if you e-mailed Tri Star directly they could let you know better how many dealers would be there. I would say that a 75-table show could be done in 1 day, but if you're going to be waiting around to get autographs you could probably stretch it to 2 days and get your money's worth. What I like about the Houston show is that for me it's a Mecca of Astros stuff! Living in San Diego everything over here is Padres, so it's a relief to be around so many Astros-related items. Plus, you got the BoSox series that weekend. So, I'm personally planning on coming into town for all that.