PDA

View Full Version : Eric - A Chargers question for you

Jake51
04-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Eric,

Just curious as to your opinion on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290223059118&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=019

Being a Broncos guy [sorry - hopefully you'll still respond!:) ] I have no real clue regarding Chargers gear. That said, I have always thought this style was one of the sharpest AFL unis around and have said I would pick one up if it made sense.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on it.

Tom

Eric
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Tom

I had spoken to the original source of the jersey who appears to have had a brief history as a clubhouse staffer for the team. Looks like a real jersey, used in practice.

When it was purchased by the person selling it now it was for a pretty affordable price, so maybe you can get a deal on it.

Let me know what specific questions you've got and perhaps I can help.
Eric

Jake51
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! From what I can tell from the font, it looks like a '62-'63 and if so, the only one wearing that number at that time would have been Paul McGuire. Is that what you are seeing as well?

Thanks again,

Tom

Eric
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
According to the Chargers Uniform History page

http://www.christopdesign.com/chargers_uniforms_raster.html

It can't be a 1960 because it has yellow bolts and doesn't have yellow trim around the numbers
It can't be a 1961-63 because it doesn't have yellow trim around the numbers
64-65 has yellow trim around the numbers as well
66 doesn't have yellow bolts
67 didn't have the white outline on the bolts

I think you're looking at 68-72 which could make it any of the following players
68 Baccaglio Martin DE 84
70-71 Gillette Walker WR 84
72-73 Williams Dave WR 84

Eric
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM

Jake51
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
That's why I called in the expert! Thanks for the great info - I was basing my [uneducated] assumption on the font only - didn't pay attention to the piping.

One last question for you, I went to CU so I have been looking for an Eric Bienemy gamer. Happen to have any leads?

Thanks again for your time and the great info.

Tom

Eric
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Happy to help. I'm no expert- I'll leave that to the people paid to give their opinions. I assume I don't know anything and I need to learn everything.

I'm not even saying I'm sure that's correct. I have seen some odd things on chargers jerseys of that era. And also, those jersey styles in the uniform history page are based on game styles. I can't tell you what they used for practice.

I have never seen an Eric Bienemy chargers jersey. If I do, I'll let you know.

I do remember a Bengals shirt floating around a few years ago. Could it have been sold at Jim Yackel's store?

Jake51
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Fair enough...but you are still a bolts expert in my book

Thanks on EB - we were in school at the same time [big school, not like we hung out] so I have very fond memories of him running all over Nebraska!:)

Thanks again,

Tom