PDA

View Full Version : 1939 New York Giants Scorecard

bat_master
02-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

My mother recently purchased this item for me at an antique shop in Wabasha, MN. It is a scorecard from 1939 (Baseball Centennial) and features the New York Giants vs. the St. Louis Cardinals at the Polo Grounds. I believe (based on the scoring) that it is from the July 17th game that St. Louis won 4-3. Photos can bee seen here: http://photobucket.com/albums/e338/bat_master/1939%20NY%20Giants%20Scorecard/

Any ideas as to value? Desireability? Thanks in advance.

Tim Byington

vintagesportscollector
02-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi Tim-

I have a couple Giants and Yankees 1939 scorecards. I think I paid about $30 for them. If I had to guess I would say that's about what they are going for now on ebay. The centennial year really doesn't add that much value to these. What adds value is anthing special about the lineups or the game itself. Nothing jumps out for this game. I do like to collect scorecards. I really like seeing all the HOFs in the lineups and the cover graphics can be great sometimes. The old Phil A's scorecards are my favorites.

-Joe

bat_master
02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Joe-

Thanks for the response. I paid a bit more for this one - around $50. This doesn't really bother me all that much as it is the only scorecard in my collection and would be the oldest item in my collection execpt for the B18 Tobacco felts I have. Thanks again!

Tim Byington

mjkm90
02-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't let that price bother you Tim. One thing I have learned over the years is that any quality vintage item will meet or exceed what you paid for it over time. I can't tell you how many times I believed I overpaid for an item, sometimes by quite a bit, then saw the value pass that level significantly. Buy older items that appeal to you, enjoy your collection, and sleep well knowing it is liquid should you ever choose to sell.

Swoboda4
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Another novice Vintage question from me. Is a scorecard of greater value if it is used,scored properly,or left unwritten in? I'm guessing if it can be proved it was scored at the game(game used!)it more of a story.

mjkm90
02-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Depends entirely on the buyer and how well it is scored. In general, unscored is more valuable. Some collectors need them untouched and will pay more for it, I prefer a neatly scored card. As long as it isn't scribbled all over or done with a pen, I think it's fine.