PDA

View Full Version : Franco Harris Steelers Helmet - Ebay

beantown
04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Robert,

Hello...with your helmet expertise, I was wondering if you could share your thoughts? It would be appreciated....thanks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franco-Harris-GAME-USED-Steelers-Helmet-1979-80-Lampson_W0QQitemZ370045194070QQihZ024QQcategoryZ86 828QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Franco-Harris-GAME-USED-Steelers-Helmet-1979-80-Lampson_W0QQitemZ370045194070QQihZ024QQcategoryZ86 828QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Chris

lund6771
04-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I'd be interested to hear as well...

Beantown, aren't the stellar reputations of both the seller and authenticator good enough for you to bid on this?

helmets
04-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Yes, Broadway Rick...
I bought a helmet from him twice - the first and the last time.

It too came with a COA from Lou. When I got it, nothing matched up - date codes. I then called the Equipment manager of the team, and he said he still had both of the helmets that this player wore, still in the teams storage.

Nice.

beantown
04-23-2008, 05:53 AM
I'd be interested to hear as well...

Beantown, aren't the stellar reputations of both the seller and authenticator good enough for you to bid on this?

Yes....what makes me want to bid on this is that beautiful Lou Lampson Hologram sticker stuck on the rear of the helmet...once I saw that, there were no doubts for me :rolleyes:

aeneas01
04-23-2008, 08:13 AM
the helmet is a joke - the only positive thing that can be said about it is that it does appear to be an authentic, vintage 1978 pac-3 impregnated black lid. just the sort of item that might give a fella a few ideas...

harris wore a riddell tk suspension helmet from 1972 (his rookie year) through 1978. from 1979 through 1981 he wore a riddell cell helmet, most likely a pac-3, and then switched to a rawlings rts in 1982 which he wore during his two remaining years in pitt and his final year in seattle. he wore a schutt opo during his first two years in the league, switched to a schutt nop in 1974 and then switched to a double-wire nop when he went with the rawlings rts in 1982. prior to 1977 his facemask was gray, then the steelers switched to black facemasks. harris also wore a green dot facemask throughout his career.

issues with the helmet:

1. facemask clips are not from the correct era; they are mid 80s transparent schutt clips that have been painted/dyed black.

2. as mentioned earlier, harris wore a green dot facemask throughout his career. the facemask included in the auction is a red dot. the facemask color also appers to have been doctored.

3. harris began using extra large jaw pads when he switched to a riddell cell helmet. the jaw pads in the ad are no larger than medium.

4. harris had a large melon, wore a large suspension helmet, and therefore required a large facemask (green dot). the helmet in the ad is fitted with type-c cell padding, the thickest cell padding available, rendering the helmet very small. it is extremely hard to believe that this helmet would have fit harris.

5. the font is incorrect for the "2".

6. the steelers used white gaskets when securing the chinstrap snaps to the shell during this era. these gaskets are not present on the helmet for sale.

7. the helmet for sale is nothing more than a decent reproduction.

facemask clip comparison: top left photo - mid 80s translucent schutt clips; top right photo - same clips, painted/dyed black, on the helmet for sale. bottom two photos - correct clips.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/comp01-5.jpg

facemask comparison: top photo - red dot facemask on helmet for sale. bottom two photos - harris's green dot facemasks...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/comp02-4.jpg

jaw pad and font comparison: top left photo - thick font and small/medium jaw pads on the helmet for sale. other photos - correct font and jaw pads.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/sub/comp03-4.jpg

Eric
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
This helmet originally sold in the November 15th Vintage Authentics Auction

Lot 9 Franco Harris c.1979-80 Game Used Helmet GU7.5 $1,703.75

aeneas01
04-23-2008, 08:34 AM
This helmet originally sold in the November 15th Vintage Authentics Auction

Lot 9 Franco Harris c.1979-80 Game Used Helmet GU7.5 $1,703.75

thanks for that info eric - that clearly tells me that collectors are well aware of its problems, despite lampson's loa. a "game used harris" suspension helmet sold for $10,800 a couple of years ago at one of the larger auction houses. it had a ton of problems as well but no loa if i remember correctly...

btw i will be getting back to you this week!

shoremen44
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Awesome pictures, great research and always helpful...

I love this forum!!

cohibasmoker
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't know. This Robert guy is causing trouble again. Very bad for the hobby I tell ya.

Jim

commando
04-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't know. This Robert guy is causing trouble again. Very bad for the hobby I tell ya.

Jim

Sorry, no more Robert jokes for me. I already owe him dinner for my last bad one...

aeneas01
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry, no more Robert jokes for me. I already owe him dinner for my last bad one...

;) :D

btw the seller ended the auction early - it was close to $600. hope someone didn't email him with a big buck offer....

34swtns
04-27-2008, 08:46 AM
I really try not to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ as a general rule but I've got to say that anytime I see aeneas01's name on a thread I immediately click on it and read the whole thing. I'm a jersey collector and I didn't know squat about helmets before I came to this forum but I've already learned so much just from reading his posts. His research is thorough and his comments and critiques are well-written. Always informative and enjoyable posts.

aeneas01
04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I really try not to blow smoke up anyone's a$$ as a general rule but I've got to say that anytime I see aeneas01's name on a thread I immediately click on it and read the whole thing. I'm a jersey collector and I didn't know squat about helmets before I came to this forum but I've already learned so much just from reading his posts. His research is thorough and his comments and critiques are well-written. Always informative and enjoyable posts.

wow, thanks for the kind words 34swtns. sharing with the forum is extremely rewarding given that it's such a team effort - guu really is a special place. so what's going on with your bears - are they going to make urlacher happy? how do bears' fans feel about the sitch?

34swtns
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I can only speak for myself and, personally, I believe that players should honor existing cotracts. That being said, it looks like the McCaskeys have offered to give him an extra year and another 5 mill to remain through 2012 but they're apparently not willing to budge off of that. Given the Halas tradition of "throwing around nickels like manhole covers" that has certainly been carried on by the McCaskeys, I'm surprised that they were willng to give him that much. Guaranteed, if it were any other player than Urlacher they would be shown the door.

lambertisgod58
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
just wanted to pass along that this helmet is once again on eBay. Thanks to all that posted in this forum as I was considering purchasing it. The font on the two did make me think twice, thus researching it more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140305813092

aeneas01
03-08-2009, 08:38 AM
last time out the seller ended the auction early, towards the end, it had reached $600. a couple of interesting wrinkles this time around:

1. unlike the previous seller, the current seller has included the full lampson coa which mentions the painted facemask & clips that i had previously eluded to - at least these issues didn't escape lampson.

2. you have to wonder what it would take for lampson to reject an impregnated black pac3 lid dressed up like franco harris's helmet. honestly - would any steelers pac3 lid with consistent dating and the number "32" applied be enough to stamp it a franco harris helmet? even if it came with a spray painted facemask and clips? mam mia...

3. not to be outdone, the current seller has tossed in his own little flavor to the mix by boldly adding "This Riddell helmet shell is size L and the interior padding system is a size 7-3/8 PAC-3. These are the sizes that Franco Harris used circa 1979-80." so the seller obviously knows what size pac3 helmet and what size pac3 padding harris wore. beautiful.

earlywynnfan
03-10-2009, 04:33 PM
FWIW, I emailed the seller about this link, and he has added it to the auction description. I thought that was a classy move.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

cjw
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
FWIW, I emailed the seller about this link, and he has added it to the auction description. I thought that was a classy move.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

It was a classy move...but adding this line "Note that I still feel that the helmet is good because the COA is from Lou Lampson, who is the true expert in the field of game used authentication. " is enough to make me lose my lunch.