PDA

View Full Version : Player Signed Inscription: What's it Worth

EurekaDave
04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I just purchased a game used jersey from a high-profile player. He signed it as game-used and added that he had hit a home-run in it. He added the number.

The question is, how much value do you think it adds to a jersey to have that inscription and number?

I know it depends on the buyer. I just wondered what you thought.

ndevlin
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Whos the player?

skyking26
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I have been collecting for 30 years, and started autographs asking for inscriptions so to have something "different" than the next guy. I think it adds alot in terms of asthetics and value. I'd take an auto'd anything with stats on it vs. an item with just the signature and pay a slight premium as well...

RK

AWA85
04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree that an inscription makes an item more unique. It is one thing to have an autograph item but to have a special moment or stat written on an item sets its apart from other items and would increase the value of it to myself.

You have us wondering, who's item do you have?

frikativ54
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I have been collecting for 30 years, and started autographs asking for inscriptions so to have something "different" than the next guy.

I think it's a matter of opinion. In my judgment, inscriptions seem like more of the same, especially with companies like ESM or AMI that seem to have everything inscribed. Why do you need more information on a glove, save an auto?

I think it adds alot in terms of asthetics and value. I'd take an auto'd anything with stats on it vs. an item with just the signature and pay a slight premium as well...

RK

Honestly, I think that it would detract from the aesthetics of the piece. I don't know why a game-used jersey would need anything like stats on it. I would like a nice autograph on a letter only, but I like my items in as close to their original condition as possible.

skyking26
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Personal preference frik. I am friends with a few guys who would rather have a piece unsigned, where I also have several friends that like their stuff signed as do I. I have been the same for 30 years, I see no point in changing my mind now... We are all unique creatures, and have unique responses...

David
04-25-2008, 01:43 AM
A lot of collectors will put strong value in it. They will like that the player noted he believes the bat is genuine. Beyond that, some collectors like autographs and inscriptions as they like autographs.

skyking26
04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
A lot of collectors will put strong value in it. They will like that the player noted he believes the bat is genuine. Beyond that, some collectors like autographs and inscriptions as they like autographs.
Agreed David!!!

David
04-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Assuming the signature and other writing is authentic, this type of writing is the player's LOA on the bat, albeit a very brief letter.

David
04-25-2008, 01:31 PM
If there was a small certificate that pictured the bat and below it was the identical text ('Game Used ...') and the player's signature, most everyone would refer to it as a COA. In this case he wrote the text on the bat itself.

frikativ54
04-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Assuming the signature and other writing is authentic, this type of writing is the player's LOA on the bat, albeit a very brief letter.

What bothers me is that anyone can write "Craig Biggio, 3055th hit" on a Bidge gamer. That doesn't add any more proof that the item is a true game-used piece.

Also, IMHO, inscriptions make a bat or glove look like junk. I don't care if the player puts "G/U '07" on an item, but putting full stats turns an item into junk.

It just seems kind of puerile, and not as life-like. What player swings a bat with stats all over it? If you want your bat to be a piece of art and have graffiti all over it, that's your decision.

Danny899
04-27-2008, 06:59 AM
The only inscription I would ever want on a jersey is the year of the item right below the signature. Especially if it's from a record year. For instance a 1990 Rickey Henderson gamer I would add the inscription of "MVP 1990" Although it seems to be popular, I never purchase items with the inscription of "GAME USED" or G/U. I always thought that was tacky and took away from the purity of the jersey. But hey, if it says, "game used" in billboard lettering, it must be game used, right?

zonker
04-27-2008, 08:01 AM
this site is loaded with jersey's/ bat's with questionable authenticity all the time on wheather it was used or not. i think an inscription on a jersey put's the jersey/bat in the player's hand's and if the player inscribes it, what better authenticity is there that it was his and used? i would rather have an inscription than a l.o.a from mear's, steiner, etc.. as great as they all are? they all have been proven to be flawed! of course that's just my opinion and mine could be flawed too! yet people pay a premium for that? just my 2 cent's i'd rather have the player's opinion myself.

mattmueller
04-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I understand that its personal preference. However, nobody could convince me that having Jim Taylor scribble on this otherwise attractive piece of Packer history makes it more aethetically pleasing. To me it is rather tragic that it was done.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=11282

frikativ54
04-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I understand that its personal preference. However, nobody could convince me that having Jim Taylor scribble on this otherwise attractive piece of Packer history makes it more aethetically pleasing. To me it is rather tragic that it was done.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=11282

I would agree. Signed on the number or unsigned would definitely suffice for this piece of history.

zonker
04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
oh man that's terrible! i'm a big packer fan! as stated befor i personally like inscription's on my item's(for authenticity), but all my item's are modern star's with many example's out there good and bad. i'll agree on vintage item's that are extremely rare the more original the better! their's not as much room for fake's and forgerys. again what a shame, but given the chance i'd still take it!!!!! GO Pack!

EurekaDave
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry to be circumspect about who's jersey I was asking about. The player is Sammy Sosa and it's loaded with authentication, including a signed letter from Sosa himself. I guess I'm reacting to Sosa's somewhat tarnished reputation, too. That's why I put it in hypotetical terms.

Still, I am curious to know what people think about inscriptions. Ultimately, it's up to me and what I personally like, I know.

frikativ54
04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Still, I am curious to know what people think about inscriptions. Ultimately, it's up to me and what I personally like, I know.

Well, I think that having a ton of stats takes away from the appeal of a piece, as do Sammy Sosa signed gloves that mention what HR he hit with them. A lot of it is about the feel, and it just feels tacky to have so many statistics on a g/u item.