PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre LA Dodgers Jackie Robinson Day Game Worn Jersey!

bigjimsguitars
04-27-2008, 11:28 PM
It's been a while since I've posted here as I've been busy trying to keep my head above water....

However, I just brought home to the roost Joe Torre's Jackie Robinson Game Used Jersey that I obtained from a Dodger Charity Auction!!!

I will post some pic's tomorrow...

I just missed getting a Chin Lung Hu 2007 St. Patrick's Day Green Jersey at the same auction, but the gavel hit as I was writing in my bid....grrrr...

The Torre Jersey is only the second Jersey Dodgers Jersey that has been made available to the public with the other being the one he wore during the Coliseum game against the Red Sox.

Suffice it to say. I real stoked about getting it as Joe is one the classiest guys in baseball.

ChrisCavalier
04-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Congratulations Jim! That sounds like a great piece. I am happy you could acquire something that could bring you that much joy.

island_style
04-28-2008, 06:00 AM
Any Joe Torre jersey would be great to add to a collection. However, a Torre Jackie Robinson Day Dodgers jersey is incredible! Maybe I am biased becaused I am a Dodgers and Jackie Robinson fan, but that is one heck of a jersey! Congrats! Even the Coliseum Torre is a great Dodgers association piece for whoever was the lucky person to get that jersey.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Chris:

Yes, it brought goose bumps to me on a warm night at the Ravine! Joe has been one of my favorites as both a player and manager. It pleases me to no end that he's a Los Angeles Dodger!

twinsbb17
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
That's a beauty! I love the Property of the Dodgers tag at the bottom...I know the Twins don't have "property of..." tags. We just have Size Number Year tags on the bottom. Do other teams besides the Dodgers have those?

indyred
04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
That's a beauty! I love the Property of the Dodgers tag at the bottom...I know the Twins don't have "property of..." tags. We just have Size Number Year tags on the bottom. Do other teams besides the Dodgers have those?

The Cincinnati Reds have that same tag. Not sure of any other teams. Sweet pick up Big Jim. We should be seeing some of these game worn #42 jerseys showing up on MLB.com auctions soon I would think. That is where most were sold last year.

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
The Cincinnati Reds have that same tag. Not sure of any other teams. Sweet pick up Big Jim. We should be seeing some of these game worn #42 jerseys showing up on MLB.com auctions soon I would think. That is where most were sold last year.

No, as they are being sold only via the Dodgers Dream Foundation Silent Auctions throughout the season. They did do the Colesium Game Jersey's via MLB however.

I wouldn't be surprised if some do show up on the secondary market. If one does show up outside of the Dodgers organization, be sure to get the 8x10 certificate that comes with it directly from the Dodgers. I'm not going to publish a picture of what they look like at this time as it would be too easy to forge.

Yes, I'm still pinching myself on this one!

What is really cool, is that the Dodger Fans have welcomed Joe with the most open of arms and even with the slower out of the gate start that the Dodgers have shown so far, the fans have been directing their venom elsewhere....poor Andruw.....

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Because it's for charity and all...here's the Silent Auction Schedule for the the rest of the season:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/community/silentauctions.jsp

I would like to point out that there is always many autographed items as well as other memorablia for all collectors and fans alike.

dodgersfan
04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Jim,Thanks for the info!
I will be there for a few of those auctions.
I won one of those jerseys vs the redsox with the "Think Cure" patch
not a player but a bullpen coach's jersey.

Rudy

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Jim,Thanks for the info!
I will be there for a few of those auctions.
I won one of those jerseys vs the redsox with the "Think Cure" patch
not a player but a bullpen coach's jersey.

Rudy

Still very cool because it's going to Charity....a major portion of my collection is the Dodger Charity Jersey's as it's a win/win for all.

I probably caused some competition for me, but at the end of the day it's about giving and not taking....

brianborsch
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Do you have to be there to bid? Or can we call them and just put in our maximum bid? I see one jersey I want!

Brian B

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Do you have to be there to bid? Or can we call them and just put in our maximum bid? I see one jersey I want!

Brian B

Good question, I would think that being a Silent Auction that you have to be present as it closes at a specified time.

Brian, I had a nice talk with Delwyn (Young) and I get the feeling that he will be seeing more playing time other than being a pinch hitter in the Torre scheme of things.

brianborsch
04-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey Jim,

Thats precisely who I am interested in. I managed to pickup his jersey worn during the Opening day series against the Giants. It should be the same jersey he wore when he smacked his 1st career game winning walk-off single to bring in Raffy Furcal. It cost more than I expected, but it should be sweet.

I am glad he will be getting more playing time. I believe he has already proven himself and his attitude is simply fantastic! He has a natural feel and love for the game. Not to mention Vin Scully seems to adore the kid! Every video clip has Vin saying: "This kid can hit." Great stuff!

geoff
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Did anybody on the Forum get the Matt Kemp as I would like to see a pic of that jersey.

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Did anybody on the Forum get the Matt Kemp as I would like to see a pic of that jersey.

I didn't get to Sunday's game and so far the only one's I saw were Loiza's and Torre's....I can't tell if they washed them or not...however the other ones that I've seen (shirt off the back, etc) that are gamers usually don't get washed and have the smootz still on them.

The opening bid on them will be $400.00. I don't think all of them will sell as I know the Loiza Jersey didn't and I would think at some point Steiner of MLB will work the magic with them.

bubbrubb25
04-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Because it's for charity and all...here's the Silent Auction Schedule for the the rest of the season:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/community/silentauctions.jsp

I would like to point out that there is always many autographed items as well as other memorablia for all collectors and fans alike.
Can you find me that schedule for the Phillies?

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Can you find me that schedule for the Phillies?

August 12, 2008

It's not scheduled to have any of the Robinson Day Jersey's, but I'm sure there will be some good stuff on tap.....

WOODFERN
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I`m sorry, but, I live in NJ and would like to bid on one of these jerseys from the Dodgers. I know it`s a silent auction ,but, is there someone I could contact, maybe from the Dodgers. I would really like to bid. Any info would be a great help. Thanks.

metsbats
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Jim,

Great Torre jersey! Nice that it's autographed and has the handwritten Torre 6 on the tagging. There no doubt that Joe wore that one!

Enjoy!
David

bigjimsguitars
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Jim,

Great Torre jersey! Nice that it's autographed and has the handwritten Torre 6 on the tagging. There no doubt that Joe wore that one!

Enjoy!
David

The contact person with the Dodgers is David Brennan and his Number is (323) 224-1413. He's the guy who runs the show with the Dream Foundation Auctions. I have no association with him (other than having bought many items over the last few years), but it's for charity (remind him of that) and I bet he will allow proxy bids.

Let him know that Ernest Mead (my real name is Ernest) spilled the beans. I'm sure he will either thank me or ban me, lol.

I hope you guys get some of the spoils.

Best of luck,
Jim

DConLA
04-29-2008, 04:56 AM
:rolleyes: HELLO DODGERS FANS
THE 1ST DODGERS JERSEY AUCTION WAS IN 1998 IT WAS CALLED THINK BLUE I FLEW IN FROM THE NATIONAL IN CHICAGO THAT SUNDAY FOR THAT AUCTION AND WON A FEW BLUE JERSEYS. THE NEXT YEAR IT WAS CALLED THE SAME THINK BLUE AND THE JERSEYS WERE BLUE. IN 2000 THEY CHANGED THE NAME TO SHIRT OFF MY BACK AND YES YOU HAVE TO BE THERE TO BID IN THE SILENT AUCTION OR KNOW SOMEONE THAT WILL BE AT THE GAME.I WILL BE AT A COUPLE OF GAMES AND BIDDING I LIVE 5 MIN FROM THE PARK AND THERE ARE A COUPLE OF JERSEYS THAT I LIKE THAT ARE STILL COMING UP.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIDDING.

DAN 323 257-4898 daniel248@earthlink.net

bigjimsguitars
04-29-2008, 08:40 AM
:rolleyes: HELLO DODGERS FANS
THE 1ST DODGERS JERSEY AUCTION WAS IN 1998 IT WAS CALLED THINK BLUE I FLEW IN FROM THE NATIONAL IN CHICAGO THAT SUNDAY FOR THAT AUCTION AND WON A FEW BLUE JERSEYS. THE NEXT YEAR IT WAS CALLED THE SAME THINK BLUE AND THE JERSEYS WERE BLUE. IN 2000 THEY CHANGED THE NAME TO SHIRT OFF MY BACK AND YES YOU HAVE TO BE THERE TO BID IN THE SILENT AUCTION OR KNOW SOMEONE THAT WILL BE AT THE GAME.I WILL BE AT A COUPLE OF GAMES AND BIDDING I LIVE 5 MIN FROM THE PARK AND THERE ARE A COUPLE OF JERSEYS THAT I LIKE THAT ARE STILL COMING UP.GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BIDDING.

DAN 323 257-4898 daniel248@earthlink.net

Hi Dan:

Before 1998 they sold Game Used directly from the Top of the Stadium Gift Shop and at a couple of other locations in the stadium. I bought several GU bats from the "Waiting List"!

I was also good friends with Reuben who was one of the senior ushers on the field level and that had it's rewards. I'm saddened to say that Reuben fell ill a few years ago and passed away suddenly. He was a generous and loving person.

dodgersfan
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Iam sorry to hear about Ruben,He was my favorite usher there.
His post was right in front of the Dodgers dugout and in the final years he use to run the elevator.

Rudy

bigjimsguitars
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Iam sorry to hear about Ruben,He was my favorite usher there.
His post was right in front of the Dodgers dugout and in the final years he use to run the elevator.

Rudy

Rudy...I'm Embarrassed as his name was spelled as you have it!!!!

Yes that was his station what was aisle 31 and later aisle 27 (under the new seating plan. I would bring my Mom to many a game and Ruben would wait for us as my Mom used to bake cookies for the team and Ruben (this was well before 9/11) and the added security.

The cookie thing started in 1991 when we would go see the Bakersfield Dodgers and my Mom and it carried over to the big team.

Sorry for the digression, but it stirred up some real good memories.

WOODFERN
05-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I Inquired About Maybe Placing A Proxy Bid On One Of The Jackie Robinson Day Jerseys By Speaking To David Brennan Who`s In Charge Of That Auction And Unfortunately, Because It`s A Silent Auction, You Have To Be There To Bid Or Know Someone Who Will Be There To Bid. I Would Really Like To Pickup One Of These Jerseys, In Fact I See One I Would Like To Bid On. Is There Anyone Who Will Be Attending The Game On 6/20. Scott Proctors Jersey Will Be Auctioned Off And Was Looking For Someone Out There Who Could Bid For Me. Please Email Me @wingsabove2000@yahoo.com If Anyone Could Possibly Help Me. I Can Assure You I`m An Honest Person And I Know This Is An Unusual Request, But, At This Time I Have No Other Options. Thanks.

island_style
05-11-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm also very sorry to hear about Ruben's passing. He was a fixture on the Field Level at Dodger Stadium, and he had many friends consisting of fans and employees. I was fortunate to get to know him as a fan going to the games and later as a co-worker at the stadium. The Dodgers have many long-standing employees, and Ruben will be missed.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

bigjimsguitars
05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Ron:

That's one of the beauties of the Los Angeles Dodgers is that they have long time employees and it creates a place/stadium where you know you will have some friends, be it the ushers, vendors, security, etc.

What's kind of funny is that on the same day you can hit say a day game of on of the LA teams and then a Night Game and will have many of the same in the stands vendors...some of the double takes are funny!

Back to Ruben, his wife Victoria is still there and she too is a great person.

WOODFERN
05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I`m really intersested in the Scott Proctor JR day jersey being auctioned off on 6/20. I`ve asked before, if any one can help me, please email me @ wingabove2000@yahoo.com. Because it`s a silent auction you have to be there and I live in NJ. Thank you.

nyjetsfan14
05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
That's one of the beauties of the Los Angeles Dodgers is that they have long time employees and it creates a place/stadium where you know you will have some friends, be it the ushers, vendors, security, etc.

Being longtime Angels fans but yet recognizing the great history of Dodger stadium, I took my 11 year old son to see a Dodgers Angels game at Dodger Stadium last year. I wanted him to experience that rich history. I am sure many great and honorable people work in the Dodger organization and at the stadium but what we experienced that night I will never forget. It was literally like gang warfare with constant flow of profanity, fights, and bloodflow (I am not exageratting, bodies were strewn all over). There was not nearly enough security to deal with all the violence. It was shocking and so incredibly disappointing at the same time. Growing up, I always considered a summer night at the park a chance to sit back, relax, have a dog, and talk baseball with my father. I'll never go to Dodger stadium again. That is not so much an indictment on any employees, though they had not nearly enough resources to handle the problems, but more on humanity I guess. I have experienced the same thing (not to that level) at Angels stadium when teams like the Yanks or BoSox come in...so now when I take my boy to the park (Angel Stadium) we go see em play teams like Tampa or Toronto and very often make it day games during the week.

05-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks for stepping up NYJETSFAN14 and telling it the way it is at Dodger Stadium these days. The only exception I have found is down in the bottom level behind home plate. I won't take my family there to Dodger Stadium either. Really a sad state of affairs that more folks should know about.

Tom

bigjimsguitars
07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Being longtime Angels fans but yet recognizing the great history of Dodger stadium, I took my 11 year old son to see a Dodgers Angels game at Dodger Stadium last year. I wanted him to experience that rich history. I am sure many great and honorable people work in the Dodger organization and at the stadium but what we experienced that night I will never forget. It was literally like gang warfare with constant flow of profanity, fights, and bloodflow (I am not exageratting, bodies were strewn all over). There was not nearly enough security to deal with all the violence. It was shocking and so incredibly disappointing at the same time. Growing up, I always considered a summer night at the park a chance to sit back, relax, have a dog, and talk baseball with my father. I'll never go to Dodger stadium again. That is not so much an indictment on any employees, though they had not nearly enough resources to handle the problems, but more on humanity I guess. I have experienced the same thing (not to that level) at Angels stadium when teams like the Yanks or BoSox come in...so now when I take my boy to the park (Angel Stadium) we go see em play teams like Tampa or Toronto and very often make it day games during the week.

I've been attending Dodger Games since 1962 and can say that your post is a gross exaggeration and would have responded to it in kind 4 years ago if I had seen it then.

Moreover, I've attended games in several venues and find the security inside Dodger Stadium on par or better than any other that I've been at, including Anaheim Stadium where the stadium employees were downright rude to anyone wearing Dodger colors!

I will not go into the Brian Stow incident other to say that he and his friends are on video taunting several Dodger fans inside of the stadium. While it is a complete tragedy, the whole story will show that Brian was no saint and those who beat him up were no Dodger Fans.

Anyway, this forum is no place to bash or trash.....

Jim