PDA

View Full Version : Von Hayes Rookie Bat?

hblakewolf
02-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Forum readers-
I am an avid Von Hayes equipment collector. I have over 15 game worn jerseys, including his rookie (#62 Indians from 1981), Various Phillies and his final jersey worn with the Angels. I also have over 15 different game used bats, including a nice Louisville S216 from his rookie season with the Indians that has 8 on the knob.

I find the following "Rookie" Hayes bat on Ebay interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VON-HAYES-GAME-USED-SIGNED-ROOKIE-BAT-INDIANS-PHILLIES_W0QQitemZ8771031463QQcategoryZ60596QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

The number on the knob is 9. Hayes wore 8 while with the Indians in 1981 and 1982. When he was traded to the Phillies in 1983, he changed his number to 9, as Joe Morgan had #8 with the Phillies in 1983.

I contacted the seller of this bat, however, never got a response.

I understand that when a dealer has a "rookie" bat, it may demand a premium. In this case, however, a little homework by the seller may have been in order, or better yet, changing his Ebay listing once I pointed out this error.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Hockystik
02-26-2006, 11:21 PM
I usually tend to list bats like that as "rookie era" bats. But with the #9 on the knob, looks to be a 3rd year bat at best.

Mark