PDA

View Full Version : The Seller Ended This Listing Early....

aeneas01
04-29-2008, 11:45 AM
this is the first time i've come across this ebay option:

"The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price."

in the past a seller just chose the option that said they were ending an auction early because of an error even though they had agreed to accept an offer via a pm. with the option to end an auction early to accept a current bid, ebay is clearly moving away from the spirit of an auction - and probably recouping some fees that were circumvented when sellers/buyers ended auctions early yet completed deals, i.e. ebay now gives sellers the opportunity to end auctions early "above board".

skipcarayislegend
04-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I've won a few auctions like this over the years. Each time the seller and I agreed on a BIN price even though a BIN wasn't a part of the original listing. I think I ended one of my own like that once or twice as well.

otismalibu
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Could be wrong, but I think that's always been an option...or at least it's been an option for quite some time. You just don't see it used very often, because the seller can simply end the auction and get paid directly w/o paying the final value fees.

I bet the a**b type bidding IDs has killed thousands of side deals. Contacting the 2nd highest bidder used to be an easy way to sell an item, w/o any eBay fees at all. Not that I know anyone who had ever done that :)

34swtns
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
(Raises hand in a wild and agitated fashion, ala' Arnold Horshack).

nyjetsfan14
04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Could be wrong, but I think that's always been an option...or at least it's been an option for quite some time. You just don't see it used very often, because the seller can simply end the auction and get paid directly w/o paying the final value fees.

I bet the a**b type bidding IDs has killed thousands of side deals. Contacting the 2nd highest bidder used to be an easy way to sell an item, w/o any eBay fees at all. Not that I know anyone who had ever done that :)

I used to contact fellow bidders just to strike up conversation. I met some great fellow Jets fans and collectors that way. It was fun and a great networking tool. Plus it was always neat and reassuring to know exactly who is bidding on items...now fraud can run rampant amongst sellers in the way of shill bidding.

otismalibu
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I used to contact fellow bidders just to strike up conversation. I met some great fellow Jets fans and collectors that way. It was fun and a great networking tool. Plus it was always neat and reassuring to know exactly who is bidding on items...now fraud can run rampant amongst sellers in the way of shill bidding.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Great way to meet fellow collectors. Got my first pair of Dr. J. game shoes from a collector I met thru eBay.

And when I could see who was bidding, I could keep from bidding against buddies.

loumud
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
this is the first time i've come across this ebay option:

"The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price."

in the past a seller just chose the option that said they were ending an auction early because of an error even though they had agreed to accept an offer via a pm. with the option to end an auction early to accept a current bid, ebay is clearly moving away from the spirit of an auction - and probably recouping some fees that were circumvented when sellers/buyers ended auctions early yet completed deals, i.e. ebay now gives sellers the opportunity to end auctions early "above board".

Hi there,

I've been buying and selling on ebay for 10 years, and I recall that this has always ben an option available to the seller when ending a listing early. It's just not as popular as the other options, like BIN.