PDA

View Full Version : Friends you've made through collecting?

EurekaDave
05-03-2008, 11:56 AM
The guy who made friends with Dave Kingman inspired me to write this.

Former SF Giant Tito Fuentes came to our town to sign autographs and raise money for a school baseball field. He came for virtually nothing. I volunteered to drive him around. We've become great friends. We frequently talk by phone and I have visited with him as be broadcasts the games in Spanish. I fetch him water while he broadcasts. And by the way, he signed something for me.

What special baseball person have you come to know because of your collecting? I'll bet there are some great stories out there. Let's hear yours.

momen55
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
i have known vera clemente and the boys for 15 years now. very pleasent family. anytime i visit puerto rico, i spend time with here at sports city. have been to here home for dinner too! i was like a kid in a candy store when i saw roberto's 72 road uniform, along with his all star awards and world series rings.
i've known manny sanguillen for over 10 years. met him and his daughter in the allegeny club at three rivers. very pleasent; still is. we stay in touch alot. when he comes to florida for fantasy camp and spring training, we get together.
jackie hernandez, same thing. he lives in miami, so we see each other more frequently. he is a trip. we have lunch, talk, fellowship.

Tedw9
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
A few years back I was on my way home from work when I found former Milwaukee Braves/New York Mets pitcher Carlton Willey stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire. I stopped and asked if he needed help and he said he wasn't even sure where to begin. I changed his tire for him in a short time (I used to change tires for a living in my youth) and when I was done he offered to pay me, which I politely declined. He mentioned my Red Sox hat I was wearing and asked me if I would like to come by his house to talk baseball with him sometime. Listen to someone talk about being a teammate with Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn and such? Needless to say, I couldn't accept the invitation fast enough.

The next weekend I went to visit Carlton at his house, and I was armed with a ton of questions. It was SO much fun just listening to him talk about his playing days, pitching in the World Series and such. It was just an amazing afternoon. He offered my wife and I to come back anytime, which we have many times. Now when we stop by, we are treated like family. To this day Carlton still says if I hadn't stopped to help him that day, he would still be there. :p

One last note to this story...Carltons house is the gathering place for all the local "older" gentlemen. Coffee and bs are the standard offering, door always open, just come on in and sit down and help yourself to a cup of coffee. Well, as a joke, one of his friends hug a sign up outside the front door, "Ridge Road Old Mens Club." Well, Carlton loved it and left it there, cause it is so true. One Sunday afternoon I was sitting around with him and his friends (I am in my 30's, him and his friends are in their 70's) and Carlton looks at me and says, "Well Steve, I do belive your the youngest member of the Ridge Road Old Mens Club!" It is a title I wear proudly. :)

skyking26
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
The guy who made friends with Dave Kingman inspired me to write this.

Former SF Giant Tito Fuentes came to our town to sign autographs and raise money for a school baseball field. He came for virtually nothing. I volunteered to drive him around. We've become great friends. We frequently talk by phone and I have visited with him as be broadcasts the games in Spanish. I fetch him water while he broadcasts. And by the way, he signed something for me.

What special baseball person have you come to know because of your collecting? I'll bet there are some great stories out there. Let's hear yours.
I appreciate my Kingman friendship was an inspiration!!! Hey, it's always cool to be considered a friend rather than a stalker!!! I think the fact I am married with 2 small kids helps!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I could take the meaning of this thread a whole different way in that it is asking about hobby friendships. In the 30 years I have been involved in this hobby, I have made countless friendships that last thru this day back from the 80's with longtime Kong associate Erik Bakalar and Jim Monteverde on up to the Howard Wolf's of the world and of later years the Roger Ward's and Carl Hick's and Rob Steinmetz'. Honestly too many to list, but most whether back from the 80's or guys I have met in the last 5 years I speak to many on a daily basis. That is what a hobby is about, friendships and doing something that keeps one's mind off of the daily challenges we all face... Thanks - RK

bigtruck260
05-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Most of them have been made right here at GUU -

They include...Joe, Donny, Don, Jeff, Bill, Billy, Jolan, Tom, Paul, Dave, Abe and Mark.

There is also that Yankees guy...Jason, with his Strawberry infatuation :)

Thanks guys for being great friends, and valuable collecting resources.

geoff
05-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Also here on the Forum.I have met and dealt with a few on here.I also talk with one person on here on a regular basis.

suave1477
05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Most of them have been made right here at GUU -

They include...Joe, Donny, Don, Jeff, Bill, Billy, Jolan, Tom, Paul, Dave, Abe and Mark.

There is also that Yankees guy...Jason, with his Strawberry infatuation :)

Thanks guys for being great friends, and valuable collecting resources.

BigTruck awwww thanks lol lol well at least you didn't call it an obsession lol lol:p

Well with that being said I have become friends with Strawberry and his people (agents) over time and everytime we see each other he susually gives me a hand shake and hug hello.
He even inrtoduced me to his son who is an NBA Player and told him "see you should have went into Baseball" lol lol

suave1477
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Also TNTToys we met through here

EurekaDave
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all your great responses. That's why I like this hobby and, of course, why I love baseball. Thanks to all of you.

Dave Silverbrand

suave1477
05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
OOOoops Momen, I met through here too we went to a Baseball game and lunch in Florida

10thMan
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Great Thread!
Ivan, great story about the clemente Family.
I`ve fished with Kevin/George Gross a few times, George is very, very funny. Kevin told us stories (after we asked) about Players picking up Chicks, while they were in Uniform. "All you wanted on gameday" is what he said. The gross`s have a Hunting Ranch in Oregon, they`re hard-core Sportsman.
I`ve met Tony Gwynn a few times & he`s always been very nice, he loves Fishing also. I`m overdue for a trip to SDSU to watch Aztecs Baseball, it`s about 10 mins away.
Steve Finley has come out Fishing too, he seems really nice.
The Kingman Friendship is pretty cool!
Wouldn`t say I`ve made friends yet, but hey...
Sean

Tay1038
05-04-2008, 09:47 PM
My family and I have made great friends with Rex and the rest of the Grossman family. Although I met them through a different kind of business, (clients of ours), I have made a kind relationship with Rex and his parents. They are great people! Too many stories to tell about our drunk and wild nights! haha

dcrules01
05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
UltMetfan,Metsbats,tnt_toys aka Jessie Nick and David.All great guys I wanna personally thank Nick for letting me pick his brain from time to time he is pure class.Jessie I met once and have exchanged emails with him from time to time I love the Shea Stadium sign in your collection just wow.David I have bought off of passed on a World Series bat from the 2000 season.I can only imagine his collection.I was fortunate to get into a deal recently for a game used Mets bat lot.It was pure pleasure and looking forward to again doing this one day.Thanks guys

And I would personally like to thank Andrew Lang who is in a class by himself.I have had the fortune to speak to him on the phone and exchange emails and looking forward to catching a Nationals game with him in the near future.This hobby needs more guys like you.Thanks

momen55
05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
aside from who i mentioned in the previous post, meeting jason was nice. very nice of him to offer me a ticket to a yankees game here in florida; thanks jason. i also met accidently dave at the rays fanfest this year. i will have to et in touch with him again to catch the tbtc game in june. the unis are great looking!