PDA

View Full Version : Robert Edward Auction

mattmueller
05-04-2008, 07:38 AM
What did you get in the REA auction last night?

All I got was outbid on the '82 road Yount, which went for just under $10,000 (w/ fees), which is not bad for a jersey that according to SCD was purchased by $4,200 last March. I guess that answers the question that was batted about for a while on how much value can be added by having certain parties provide authentication services.

Anybody here get the '88 home Molitor? If so, I would be curious to know how bad the stain on it is when you get it.

DRILLINDK
05-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I was outbid around 11:30pm on both the Urlacher GU Jersey and the Jordan GU bat. I really hate the way auction houses have there final bidding set up. Such a pain in the a$$. Who wants to stay up until late in the morning to check on items their interested in. There no way I'm putting in a max. bid either, no that trusting of a person.

Rick

metsbats
05-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Tnttoys, ultimetfan, dcrules, suave, and myself won lot #1486 17 game used 1986 Met bats.

If it wasn't for GUF we all would not have met and been able to collaborate to do this group bid.

Thanks to Eric, Chris, Rob, and Mike for creating and maintaining this great site which has brought collectors like ourselves together.

Our collaboration on this bid and ability to win this lot is one of many examples of the fruits of your labor.

-David

ChrisCavalier
05-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Tnttoys, ultimetfan, dcrules, suave, and myself won lot #1486 17 game used 1986 Met bats.

If it wasn't for GUF we all would not have met and been able to collaborate to do this group bid.

Thanks to Eric, Chris, Rob, and Mike for creating and maintaining this great site which has brought collectors like ourselves together.

Our collaboration on this bid and ability to win this lot is one of many examples of the fruits of your labor.
Hello David,

As per your post above, I don't think I would be out of line by speaking on behalf of Eric, Rob, Mike and myself when I say we are thrilled the forum can help collectors in ways we may not have even considered. I am very happy to hear you guys were able to find items you were looking to acquire and I am glad the forum could help in your efforts.

Btw, I think the thank you should also extend out to everyone on the forum that makes this site the incredible resource that it is.....you included. On behalf of GUU, thanks to everyone who participates here.

MSpecht
05-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi David---

Nice win on the lot for all of you. I think I can pretty much figure out who is getting the Strawberry bat, but just for interest sake, what process did you all use to divide up the bats and the percentage of the bid for each, etc. The last time I was involved in a similar situation, where 3 of us went in on a large collection, we had all identified the 2 or 3 items that we would take before completing the deal, then after the deal, we held a 'draft-like" selection process for the remaining items over about 20 'rounds' with one person getting picks 1 and 6, the second getting selections 2 and 5, the third getting to select 3 and 4, the first then getting 7 and 12, and so on. Just wondering and thinking back to the fun part of collecting.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

metsbats
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi David---

Nice win on the lot for all of you. I think I can pretty much figure out who is getting the Strawberry bat, but just for interest sake, what process did you all use to divide up the bats and the percentage of the bid for each, etc. The last time I was involved in a similar situation, where 3 of us went in on a large collection, we had all identified the 2 or 3 items that we would take before completing the deal, then after the deal, we held a 'draft-like" selection process for the remaining items over about 20 'rounds' with one person getting picks 1 and 6, the second getting selections 2 and 5, the third getting to select 3 and 4, the first then getting 7 and 12, and so on. Just wondering and thinking back to the fun part of collecting.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com (jackitout7@aol.com)

Mike,

Good question. There were particular bats which each of us were clearly interested in so it was pretty simple. There was only one bat believe it or not that we had two parties interested in but it was worked out prior the start of the auction.

As far as how we went about determining a max bid and how much each of us will pay, we all had a conference call and evaluated how much we thought each bat was worth so that became the max price we'd apply to the bat. We added it up and that became our max bid price. Each guys pays that amount for the bat(s) he is getting plus shipping buyers premium at the end.

We had some drama at the end because we couldnt put in our max bid because we were the latest bidder and REA would not allow you to top your own bid. The next bid was our max price and if anyone bid on it they would have gotten the lot at our max price and we would have been out.
The only way you could top your own bid was to put in a auto-bid which was way above our max. Well after 6 hours of being the winning bidder, someone at 10:15PM did become the high bid at our high bid price. But we not determined to be beaten at our own max bid to another bidder decided to put in a final bid which stood till the end. (hey 4 of us are New Yorkers so we are very determined!)

It was fun to work with the guys and even if we didn't end up winning it personally from my perspective still a fun experience and exercise though i'm glad we did win in the end.

David