PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good minor league photo site?

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi guys,
I just traded for a 2001 Justin Morneau GU Quad City River Bandits grey away jersey. Does anyone know of a site that may have photos of him wearing this jersey? I have only been able to locate a photo with a home white jersey. Thanks for any help.

Mike

ironmanfan
05-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Have you tried contacting the club directly? Another suggestion would be to either contact the local newspaper or to look on eBay for programs from '01 or '02 (which may show him).

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tips. I contacted the local newspaper this am and hopfully, will be hearing back. I'll try the team today too. Anyone else have any other suggestions, websites, etc.? Thanks.

Mike

Vintagedeputy
05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Reach out to justminors.com. They make the minor league cards. See if their photograhers can help you.

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Vintage,
I did check with Just Minors. Unfortunately, they didn't switch over to digital until after that period. Therefore, they don't have any photos stored from 2001. Thanks again everyone for the help. Hopefully, the team will call me back and come through.

Mike

ahuff
05-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, I can recommend that you check this site. It will put you in touch with the QC Times. That is the paper in Davenport.

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?provider_id=503

Hopefully the team will be able to help you out. However, new management and ownership just took over this season. That might make it a bit difficult. I know they have had issues with the organization habits of the previous staff.

I wish I could help you on that particular era. However, I was just beginning to get back into Quad City games. I don't have any of those jerseys or photos of that era. The team didn't market those particular jerseys quite as strong as they have since or even as strong as they did the previous version of Bandit jerseys. You might want to check some of the papers from visiting clubs. The Bandits were flooded out for much of that season. Especially since you are looking for a road photo.

I did run across this recent listing for a River Bandits jersey. I would have certainly paid more, but was gone when the auction ended. I knew I should have set my snipe : (

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quad-City-River-Bandits-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-Twins_W0QQitemZ280217874273QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6059 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ahuff
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Also, you might want to check out mwlguide.com. I believe they take photos for tons of Midwest League Games.

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Huff,
Yeah, I bought the jersey from an employee of the River Bandits. He told me about the change in ownership and mine was the jersey that hung in the suites (if that makes sense to you). I want to believe its real because it does have a velcro closure (which wouldn't exist on a retail jersey). However, there is nothing sewn on the front tag...just the size (48). So far, I have not heard back from the team. The 2001 jersey that I purchased/traded for was not made by Rawlings like the 2000. I know I'm taking a chance, but, I'm a big Morneau fan, and hopefully, it'll pay off. Any more advice and I'd be extremely thankful.

Mike

ahuff
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
They did have several older jerseys hanging in the suites and bar. The only one I was close enough to see was a Red, White, and Boom jersey signed by a mediocre player (it must not have sold at the auction).

It is funny you mentioned it was in a suite. I long suspected the team was hoarding the stars. I don't know if they thought they would get more than I was offering, or if the owner was stashing them. I know I what I offered was very high, as minor league jerseys of current stars and prospects don't even sell for this much in today's market. Anyway, I would call every season and ask if they were selling them. Every year I was told no. I thought I was offering far more then they would get elsewhere (perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think so). Anyway, they must have saved my correspondence, because they eventually called way later and say they were selling them. I went in the same day. When you'd ask for the jersey you wanted, they would say that was gone. I went right down the list, and any "star" was always gone. I don't see how that is possible in an hour. However, when you went to pick them up, there were times when I would actually see the jersey I asked for hanging in the lockers.

Oh well, enough of my tyrade. So if I understand, you have two different Bandit jerseys? One has the velcro and was purchased from an employee of the Bandits? The other you traded for and it was not made by Rawlings and lacks any year indicator tags? To be honest, most of the jerseys I've had never had any year indicator tagging. The only one I've seen was the ebay listed one. But again, I never was able to purchase any from the era you are asking about. I had the early Bandit ones and then I was able to purchase a several of the Swing stuff.

Can you send me photos?

rangers2021(at)yahoo(dot)com

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Huf,
Sorry for the confusion. No, I only have 1 jersey that I did a partial trade/purchase from a River Bandits employee. I'll send you pics at the address you provided when I get the chance. Thanks so much for your help.

Mike

sylbry
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Have you tried contacting www.justinmorneau.com (http://www.justinmorneau.com)? They used to have photos of some of his minor league game used jerseys on the website. They may have either info on the jersey or a photo from his Quad Cities days.

nomarmauerfan
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Sylbry,
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I contacted Shaun at JM.com. He only has the 2001 card, which shows him in his home white. Thanks again.

Mike