PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a knee scope done? Need assistance

3arod13
05-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Guys,

I realize this isn't a GU question, but I'm sure many of you play sports and may have had a knee scope in the past.

Last Wednesday I had a knee scope on my right knee (first time) Doc gave me 21 days convalescent leave. Boss thinks I should be back to work in 3 days.

Knee is doing better, however, still have some pain and difficult to bend my knee. I am able to walk on my own.

Can anyone give me an idea what the average time is to take off before going back to work? Don't want to push my knee and reinjure it.

Thanks, Tony

EurekaDave
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Hard to say, not knowing the work you do, how soon you should return. And healing time is different for everyone. If you can work elevating your leg (desk job), I think a week is fair. Otherwise, the doctor knows best. Go with his recommendation. Bosses are thinking bottom-line but the knee is a special device. It's a miracle they can do scoping at all, so don't push it, and monitor pain and swelling very closely. Your own body is the best guide.

3arod13
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Hard to say, not knowing the work you do, how soon you should return. And healing time is different for everyone. If you can work elevating your leg (desk job), I think a week is fair. Otherwise, the doctor knows best. Go with his recommendation. Bosses are thinking bottom-line but the knee is a special device. It's a miracle they can do scoping at all, so don't push it, and monitor pain and swelling very closely. Your own body is the best guide.

Great advice, thanks!

Walking up stairs and trying to bend my knee, pain is there. I can walk on it normal, but still have to be careful and aware of how I have my feet planted, when turning my body. Definately feel pain then.

Some bosses are about people and some strickly about work. My boss emailed me while I was in surgery and said I should be good to go in a few days, so hobble into work as soon as I can. Couldn't believe it.

Again, thanks!

eGameUsed
05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Tony,

My wife has had 4 such surgeries, 3 on the left knee and 1 on the right. Former soccer player and current Triathlete. Her recover times have been al over the place. Here most recent surgery this past December had a very short recovery. She was walking 48 hours okay, but a week or so in she had a very strange pain and significant swelling in the back of the knee. I think she pushed herself too much. That said, be careful for jumping back in to your routine. My wife was doing great until we made a 160 mile bike ride 3 weeks ago. Here doctor cleared her for the ride, but she only made 92 miles before significant swelling.

Personally, I would wait until you feel pretty good, then add a week before doing significant walking, steps, etc.

Thanks,

3arod13
05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Tony,

My wife has had 4 such surgeries, 3 on the left knee and 1 on the right. Former soccer player and current Triathlete. Her recover times have been al over the place. Here most recent surgery this past December had a very short recovery. She was walking 48 hours okay, but a week or so in she had a very strange pain and significant swelling in the back of the knee. I think she pushed herself too much. That said, be careful for jumping back in to your routine. My wife was doing great until we made a 160 mile bike ride 3 weeks ago. Here doctor cleared her for the ride, but she only made 92 miles before significant swelling.

Personally, I would wait until you feel pretty good, then add a week before doing significant walking, steps, etc.

Thanks,

Chris, OUCH! Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she recovers quickly. It's definately a frustrating situation.

I feel 100% mentally. Knowing I could be doing some things around the house over the weekend, but couldn't, was very frustrating.

My knee is getting better, but I do feel a burning sensation and some pain at times. I'm definatley not going to push myself. It's only been 5 days since the procedure.

Thanks for taking time to answer. Great advice. Tony

Fnazxc0114
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
arod arent you in the navy? i just got out in januarary and i spent a good part of last year getting stuff fixed that i put off for ten years. they gave me two weeks for the surgery. i was fine after a few days and pretty much just relaxed the rest of the time i was off. i was in no hurry to go back to recruiting duty lol

3arod13
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
arod arent you in the navy? i just got out in januarary and i spent a good part of last year getting stuff fixed that i put off for ten years. they gave me two weeks for the surgery. i was fine after a few days and pretty much just relaxed the rest of the time i was off. i was in no hurry to go back to recruiting duty lol

Yes. Retire this October with 30 years of service. I do feel ok, other than my knee still having a little pain. Every so often, I'll feel it hurt, depending how I stand or move. But I do realize it still needs to heal inside, even though at times it feels ok. So, even though I feel good mentally, I know I have to be careful.

Thanks

worldchamps
05-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Lou Lampson might be an expert in this field

David
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
The doctor knows most about your knee, and it you might have longer term problems if you didn't follow his advice. I don't know what you do, but perhaps you can recuperate your knee at work.

I ruptured my achilles tendon and was in boot and crutches for a while. Luckily, I was a computer programmer so whether I was at home or sitting in a chair at work made no difference to my tendon. The positive thing was I had a handicapped tag for six weeks and could park anywhere I wanted it.

David
05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
No doubt the recovery time varies from patient to patient, and some might genuinely get better sooner. However, there is a vast difference between 3 and 21 days. Especially when your knee still hurts and you have limited mobility, the doctor appears to know best.

One thing to remember is that it may take 2-3 weeks for the tissue or tendon or whatever to fully heal, no matter how you feel. Even if you feel Terrell Owens on day 7 doesn't mean you should go do wind sprints in your back yard.

David
05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Was supposed to be ".. feel like Terrell Owens.. "

I know this is a family web site ... Not there's anything wrong with that.

10thMan
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I`ve had 2 on my R. Knee. I would monitor the swelling (use Ice & elevation) & work closely w/ your Dr. ALL Surgeries/recoveries have variables, extent of Injury, people recover at different levels. Be careful for the first 2-6 weeks & pay close attention to the Swelling/Pain level.
Good Luck with your Recovery!
Sean

10thMan
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Forgot to mention...
The first Knee Surgery I had, I didnt take it easy, I`m one of those guys that doesn`t like to stop etc..
My Knee Swelled up (literally) almost twice regular size, It was actually pretty scary, A Family member made me ICE it & ELEVATE it all evening. I learned the second time to take it REALLY easy, & use Ice. Don`t be afraid if it swells up, Just stop & Ice/Elevate it.
Sean

bigtime59
05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Two points, one already made:
1) Your doctor knows better than your boss how long you need to have a complete recovery.
2) The most important part of this whole deal is post-surgical rehab. I hope you and your doctor have a program set up for this. This is where the ball got dropped after my 'scope in 2000.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

3arod13
05-06-2008, 08:11 AM
1) Your doctor knows better than your boss how long you need to have a complete recovery.
2) The most important part of this whole deal is post-surgical rehab. I hope you and your doctor have a program set up for this. This is where the ball got dropped after my 'scope in 2000.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Had my scope done last Wednesday. Haven't had any swelling at all. No redness around the stitches area. Still soreness around the stitches (3 different areas). I'm able to walk somewhat normal, however, I do still experience some pain, so I'm careful. Still icing and elevating my leg. After 6 days from the procedure, I'm still not pain free.

My wife tells me to just ignore my boss. Last year, my wife had a mini stroke and then got a serious infection on her leg (we beleive from when she was first hospitalized from the mini stroke) that actually was eating a hole through her skin. She was hospitalized twice in a month period. Not once did my boss ever show any compasion or concern. Even the second time my wife was hospitalized, when I called by boss to explain what had happened, his first words were "I guess you need to take time off." Yes, that pissed me off.

Now I have my knee scoped, and while I'm in surgery, he sends me this email: "Tony, Are they scoping your knee or doing invasive surgery? Had mine scoped several years ago and was up and walking normally and pain free in a couple of days. They gave me three weeks convalescence leave too. They do that in case you need it, not because you need it. I'm betting you are up and around pretty quick unless they are doing an old fashioned hack job on your knee. Feel free to hobble on in work when you are able."

Unbelieveable! Not one "Tony, I hope your procedure goes well" or even a "take it easy and we wish you a healthy and quick recovery."

My wife said people like this, you just have to ignore them.

Tony

3arod13
05-06-2008, 08:13 AM

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark, my follow-up appointment is next Tuesday (two weeks after surgery). He will take out the stitches, reevaluate my knee, and I will then see a physical therapist that day to determine where we go from there.

Tony

3arod13
05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Thank all of you for taking the time to share your experiences and providing guidance and recommendations.

Always difficult when you have something done for the first time and aren't sure what to do or expect afterwards.

Whether discussing game used issues or not, everyone in this forum is truly a class act! I truly enjoy coming to this forum each day. Love it!

Tony