PDA

View Full Version : Biggio Jersey on Ebay???

gloveboy18
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Any help on this Jersey? What do you think?
Thanks

TNTtoys
05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
How 'bout a link to the auction?

ahuff
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Is it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAIG-BIGGIO-HOUSTON-ASTROS-GAME-USED-JERSEY-94-RARE_W0QQitemZ330232316156QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60597 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

commando
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
We know that Victory Athletic manufactured jerseys for Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell and Chris Donnels during this time. One thing that caught my eye is the fact that the seller is also offering a Donnels jersey... Both have letters issued directly by Victory Athletic, and I would love to know exactly what the letters say. It would be reasonable to assume that the jerseys are definitely the real deal -- but were they actually used in a game? Or did Victory make a few dollars by selling these two "extra" jerseys that never made it to the players?

Once again, I would love to know the wording on the Victory letters.

gloveboy18
05-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry...yes that is the link on ebay!! Any help!

eGameUsed
05-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Hello! I received about 10 e-mails on this jersey. It is now common knowledge that Victory supplied jerseys for Bagwell and Biggio from 1995 to 1999. In 1994, the Astros went to the new futuristic style and abandoned the rainbow sleeves they wore since the 1980s. After 1994, the Astros sold the entire lot to Hartel. Bagwell and Biggio didn't like the fact that all of their jerseys were sold and not offered to them, so they opted for a premium, buy their own jersey policy. I own two of these Victory jerseys that are beat with use. In fact, I don't own many jerseys that show more use.

Both the Donnels and Biggio show light use from the pictures. I need to review my archive at home, but don't recall ever seeing Biggio without a Russell sleeve emblem in 1994. In fact, upon questioning, Bagwell told me that his 5 Russell jerseys from 1994 were all sold and that prompted him to make the change.

I am not saying these are not good jerseys, but based on the tagging and the year, I think they might be promos for the year to come. The jerseys will likely sell for a premium considering Biggio is one of the toughest modern players to get a legitimate jersey from, but I can't say it was actually worn without seeing the piece.

I will post some photos later for others to see.

Thanks,

gloveboy18
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks Chris....I emailed the seller and received a reply back. He says the Jersey has pine tar on the right shoulder, sweat and dirt on shoulders and that the loa says it is game used. I bought the Bagwell Victory Jersey that was on here a couple of months ago and I thought this would be a nice jersey to go with it, but it looks very clean to be a "Game Used" Biggio Jersey.
Thanks,
Bobby

hblakewolf
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello! I received about 10 e-mails on this jersey. It is now common knowledge that Victory supplied jerseys for Bagwell and Biggio from 1995 to 1999. In 1994, the Astros went to the new futuristic style and abandoned the rainbow sleeves they wore since the 1980s. After 1994, the Astros sold the entire lot to Hartel. Bagwell and Biggio didn't like the fact that all of their jerseys were sold and not offered to them, so they opted for a premium, buy their own jersey policy. I own two of these Victory jerseys that are beat with use. In fact, I don't own many jerseys that show more use.

Both the Donnels and Biggio show light use from the pictures. I need to review my archive at home, but don't recall ever seeing Biggio without a Russell sleeve emblem in 1994. In fact, upon questioning, Bagwell told me that his 5 Russell jerseys from 1994 were all sold and that prompted him to make the change.

I am not saying these are not good jerseys, but based on the tagging and the year, I think they might be promos for the year to come. The jerseys will likely sell for a premium considering Biggio is one of the toughest modern players to get a legitimate jersey from, but I can't say it was actually worn without seeing the piece.

I will post some photos later for others to see.

Thanks,

Chris-

Although a photo of him wearing a Vicory brand jersey may be available, I can't seem to locate any. Note this 1994 Getty photo with the Russell R on the sleeve.

Any forum reader able to locate a photo with a shot of the 125th patch and no R?

Howard Wolf
hlakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Chris-

Although a photo of him wearing a Vicory brand jersey may be available, I can't seem to locate any. Note this 1994 Getty photo with the Russell R on the sleeve.

Any forum reader able to locate a photo with a shot of the 125th patch and no R?

Howard Wolf
hlakewolf@patmedia.net

And another photo of him in an alternate blue, Russell jersey:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

loumud
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks Chris....I emailed the seller and received a reply back. He says the Jersey has pine tar on the right shoulder, sweat and dirt on shoulders and that the loa says it is game used. I bought the Bagwell Victory Jersey that was on here a couple of months ago and I thought this would be a nice jersey to go with it, but it looks very clean to be a "Game Used" Biggio Jersey.
Thanks,
Bobby

Hi all,

I've searched for action photos from '94 and also looked at various shots on '95 baseball cards. I haven't found a single one showing the MLB patch on the right hand sleeve without the Russel logo on it. This may be a game used jersey, but like Chris said, it's difficult to tell without more conclusive photos of the actual game use. The photos in the auction look like they pulled the jersey right off the production line! The $799 price right now seems about right for a game issued jersey, but above that it is steep if it turns out to be game issued instead. The seller also does not appear to have a lot of experience collecting game used memorabilia or they would have probably posted some better photos. It's a gamble!

eGameUsed
05-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, I went through about 20 photos and cards from 1994 for Biggio and Bagwell, and all show the Russell emblem below the 125th Anniversary Patch.

One more note on Victory jerseys. I was told by Victory in 1998 that they did NOT supply the dark navy (some people call them black) Astros alternates in the 1990s. So, from 1994 to 1999, Biggio and Bagwell wore Russell alternates.

I was also asked about size. Here are the jerseys sizes I have documented for Craig based on actual jerseys I have handled:

1990: 40
1993: 42
1996: 44
1999: 46
2000 - 2006: 46

Finally, tagging on my two victory jerseys and mutliple pairs of pants use the "99-46B" style. Jerseys tagging on all Victory jerseys I have handled has been on the inside tail. similar to the Rawlings jerseys of the 1980s. I can't say for sure, but the Z tag and outer stitched tag seams odd to me. I would call these prototype jerseys based on no evidence they were worn in 1994. Just my opinion though!

Thanks,

eGameUsed
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
One other observation I forgot to mention. I have handled Russell pants of Biggio from 1994. I have also never seen a pair of 1995 to 1999 Biggio or Bagwell pants made by Russell. However, I have handled Victory pants made for both Biggio and Bagwell. Not sure if that draws any conclusions, but it might indicate timeline for Victory.

Thanks,

hblakewolf
05-06-2008, 08:03 PM
MASAUCTION (Mitch Schumacher) was the lone bidder and won it for $799. With the lone bid, it's clear that potential bidders must have seen this thread, and realized what it is-or in this case, is not.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net