PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Jerseys and Special Auction Nights

ahuff
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I was just doing research on a jersey. I noticed that this minor league jersey, being auctioned, was a different number than the one the player typically wore. I asked the seller about this. Here was the response I received:

As documented on "Mears Grading Authentication Worksheet", Ankiel wore #31 for the first 51 Games,But on special jersey event games, such as this, minor league teams are asked to change numbers!As with tradition, Ankiel changed his number for this event from #31 to #32.

Now mind you, this jersey comes with everything you could ever desire if you aren't into doing homework (and even if you are). It has a MEARS letter, a letter from the team, a newspaper article describing the game, and a GAI certification.

So I guess my question is this? Has anyone heard of this before? I've never heard of it. I've been to several of my minor league jersey auction nights. A number change has been rare, indeed. As a matter of fact, I've taken several photos that can prove they typically wear their own jersey number. I even purchased a "Prostate Cancer Awareness Jersey" from another minor league club. Guess what. . .the number was the same number that the player normally wore - and I have a photomatch of him in the jersey to prove it. So I guess I am having a hard time believing this. The story behind the jersey sounds good, but I'm having a hard time believing a LOA from the team that was written many years after the player was on the team, and the auction took place, and by a GM that joined the staff years after the game.

G1X
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I can't speak for the Ankiel jersey in question, but I can relay a story about a number switch involving a "throwback" jersey worn during the Birmingham Barons' (White Sox AA-Southern League affiliate) annual "Rickwood Classic" in 1996 that might be of interest. The Barons moved to a new stadium in the suburbs in 1987, but beginning in 1996, and every year since then, the Barons have held their annual "Rickwood Classic" at their original ballpark, Rickwood Field, the oldest Minor League park in America and still used by local high schools, colleges, and amateur teams. http://www.rickwood.com/

The game is usually played midweek in the afternoon, and both teams wear a "throwback" uniform of the era being honored that year. In 1996, the Barons wore uniforms modeled after the 1948 Barons. Mike Cameron, who wore #24 during the regular season, wore #8 in that game. Being the team's center fielder and one of the most exciting player's in the Southern League that year, I always assumed that he wore #8 in honor of Willie Mays who wore that number in 1948 for the Birmingham Black Barons who won the Negro League American League pennant (although the Barons were wearing jerseys of the 1948 Southern League team, not the Negro League Black Barons).

If you are interested in pursuing the Ankiel jersey, it would be worth a try to contact the minor league team to see if they can verify the number he wore in that game.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

plt4008usmc
05-06-2008, 12:08 PM
That happened to me when I won Chris Marrero's jersey last year. He usually wore #24, but was #31 for the game. The reason for that was, the ALS foundation had another day planned for the auction, but was rained out. When they re-did it Marrero was called up and Lannan was called to harrisburg. So Marrero took Lannan's old number b/c they didnt order #24.