PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Jersey in GUU auction

CollectGU
05-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Have any Jordan collectors been able to photo match the current offered Jordan Bulls jersey in the auction to any photos. The NOB is unique in that it appears that the "N" in Jordan is sewn flush to the striping on the arm openings, making it distinguishable in photos. I have searchd Getty photos from that year with no luck and was hoping someone here may have found a photo match. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

otismalibu
05-07-2008, 08:24 PM
No clue, but I wouldn't buy a Jordan jersey from Jesus.

Yeah, my Dad received this jersey directly from MJ and now I'm selling it because he's getting rid of his heavenly collection...and he doesn't have internet access.

Save it for the masses, kid.

RobSteinmetz
05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Dave,

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the image below, but I thought it was important to post another picture of the back of the Jordan jersey in an effort to clear up any misconceptions. The "N" in Jordan's NOB is not sewn flush against the arm opening, but I can see how it might appear that way in the images included in the auction listing. Below is a photo taken of the back of the MJ jersey, laid flat out on the ground. You can clearly see the white space on both sides of Jordan's name on the back. If there are other questions about this, please don't hestitate to ask.

Greg,

Not quite sure what your post meant, but this jersey comes with a LOA from the Chicago Bulls, signed by a current employee of the team. In fact, I'm aware of a few bidders who have taken the time to contact the team directly to speak with this individual (to confirm the jersey is as advertised). While I'm aware of the fact that many questionable MJ jerseys have entered the hobby, this is not one of them.

Best,

Rob

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1316/jordanat9.jpg

lund6771
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Dave,

Greg,

Not quite sure what your post meant, but this jersey comes with a LOA from the Chicago Bulls, signed by a current employee of the team. In fact, I'm aware of a few bidders who have taken the time to contact the team directly to speak with this individual (to confirm the jersey is as advertised). While I'm aware of the fact that many questionable MJ jerseys have entered the hobby, this is not one of them.

this is a FACT!!!!..I have also spoken with members the Bulls...all of MJ's jerseys were carefully tracked by the team, and the one's with a team letter can be assured that it is game worn...

CollectGU
05-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the additional pictures that helps a ton and matches some pics I've researched..

Regards,
Dave

worldchamps
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I tried sending Jeff an email but never heard back from him? My question was about the date of the LOA. It is dated 2007, and the jersey is from 1996. I wanted to know if they had just recently sold this, had them been holding on to it all this time, and if that was common practice.

Did anyone else get any positive feedback from Jeff with the Bulls?

CollectGU
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Here are two other bulls letter that are dated later than the jersey. The Bulls Charity letters that came with jerseys are similiar to each other but different than the one with this Jordan jersey in GUU. Also, noticed a difference in length between the two Jordan jerseys from the same year:

http://schwartzsports.com/image_watermark.aspx?pic_no=14150&actual=true&logo=n
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/upload/auction/original/2493.jpg

dleiner
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about the date of the letter, the jersey was recently sold from the Bulls in Jan or Feb 2007. The Bulls continue to auction off "old" game used jerseys from the championship years, etc at charity events, although they don't have much stuff left. The Bulls recently sold some Championship year stuff at their annual Festabulls dinner in early April. Hope this information helps.

worldchamps
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
That is very interesting, i am not questioning the jersey, but more wondering why they would sit on these for so long. You think they would have sold these right after the Championship.

RobSteinmetz
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Re: Timing of when the jersey was worn vs. when the jersey was sold:

David is correct. It is my understanding that up until about a year ago, the Chicago Bulls still had game worn Jordan jerseys that were being sold through Charitabulls. Jordan wore many jerseys during his final seasons with the team, and they were archived and sold for many years after he left the Bulls. Most team-documented Jordan jerseys I have seen on the market have team letters that are dated long after his retirement.

Re: Different style team LOA

The consignor of this jersey did not purchase it directly from Charitabulls. Original letters from Charitabulls included the purchaser's name, plus information about the tax deductibility of the purchase. When the consignor purchased this jersey from its original owner, both parties contacted the Chicago Bulls and a new letter was issued for the jersey. As Pete mentioned in his previous post, the Bulls do track these jerseys, so it was important to "transfer ownership" of the jersey so it was on record with the team. In Jeff Schultz's second letter (issued to the consignor of this jersey), there would have been no reason for the Bulls to mention information about tax deductibility. Bidders are welcome to call Chris Cavalier at GUU to find out the individual's name that appears on the LOA - then call Jeff Schultz with the Chicago Bulls to confirm that this jersey was sold to that individual. As previously mentioned, several bidders have already done this. The consignor's name was blurred on the LOA that is posted in the auction listing at his request.

Re: 2" vs. 4" Extra Length

GUU has not researched or contacted the Chicago Bulls about the road jersey that was posted in this thread. However, the home jersey in this auction has been verified by Jeff Schultz with the Bulls over the phone (by bidders) as well as when the replacement LOA was issued to the consignor.

I hope this information is useful.

Best,

Rob