PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about maple bats:

Jags Fan Dan
05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ai0byG1.mLnK1sWj1saLXEwRvLYF?slug=jp-maplebats050808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I was just wondering last night if the maple bats tend to break differently than the ash bats. I guess this has my answer to that question.

bigjimsguitars
05-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Maple bats are lethal weapons period and should be banned, no if's ands or butts....

Nathan
05-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Maple bats are lethal weapons period and should be banned, no if's ands or butts....

There is one major problem with that, and one problem that is being overlooked.

The immediate problem with a maple bat ban is that it would result in shifting back to ash wood. But we don't know what the future of the white ash tree looks like; with the emerald ash borer having ravaged Michigan and rapidly ravaging Ohio, it's only a matter of time before it consumes all that's left.

The overlooked problem is how incredibly thin the handles of most bats are. There's no reason why an inside pitch should result in a broken bat, unless you've got a defective bat and one heck of a pitch. Adjust the rules involving the minimum circumference of the handle and suddenly this problem will go away.

allstarsplus
05-10-2008, 09:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ai0byG1.mLnK1sWj1saLXEwRvLYF?slug=jp-maplebats050808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“I feel like they’re harder,” McLouth said. “Whether or not that’s scientifically true, I’m not sure. But psychologically, I feel like they are.”

Well said by McLouth. It is mind over matter, and players "believe" in the power of the Maple.

I am more concerned by these dugouts that get closer and closer to the field in these newer ballparks hence the seating is closer to the field.

I was at a Spring Training game when a foul ball flew in the crowd so fast that the reaction time was slower due to the distance from home plate and seemed closer then the 90 feet down to the "hot corner".

joelsabi
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
yesterday, willie tavaras hit a woman with a foul ball and the lady needed to go to the hospital. no doubt protective nets need to be added beside the behind the plate.

suave1477
05-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Joesalibi I dont know if I agree with that the only time you see someone get hurt is because they were not paying attention. How many people a season actually get really hurt not that many.
This is why they have signs up at the stadium saying "beware of foul balls"

I was at a minor league game last year and a player fouled off a ball a lady a few seats down from me got smacked hard in the face and was bleeding from her nose. Everyone else ducked when the ball came accept for her WHY??? because she wasnt paying attention.

Dont get me wrong of course I feel bad and its unfortunate that, that happend, but its part of the game and you have to always be aware of whats going on.

Jags Fan Dan
05-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, here's part II of the "ban maple bats" saga:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AphHRVBZFaWNjWir_Lj.HhYRvLYF?slug=jp-bats052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

brianborsch
05-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Like a forum member said earlier in this thread:

Increase the allowance of handle thickness and this problem goes away. They should make bats like they did back in the day. Although then the bats get heavier and the home runs go down. Bud Selig wouldn't like that. Its too bad the HR is so overrated...