PDA

View Full Version : MLB authentication holograms-Diamondbacks batting helmet

yankeepirate
05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I have a Rawlings batting helmet supposedly from an Arizona Diamondbacks player with a hologram that starts with the letters DB. On the inside it also has a circular silver Rawlings "R" sticker, a white "ABC" sticker, and a red and white sticker that says "Rawlings 4 - 14 'The Mark of a Pro' ." It also has a Warning sticker. On the outside rear it has the player's number above the MLB sticker.

According to the MLB site: The DB numbered hologram is not an authentication hologram; it is a hologram that designates the item as officially licensed. This hologram is never used for authentication by the MLB Authentication program for any autographed or game-used items. Authentication holograms are placed directly on the items themselves and include one of the letter combinations available on the drop down list.

Does that mean that all items with these DB lettered holograms are not game used, or simply that MLB did not authenticate them?

Can anyone explain this better? Also, is there anyone with knowledge of Diamondbacks helmets who can shed some light on the situation?

Thanks much. You can contact me at goldstein@goldlaw.com

-Howard

kylehess10
05-09-2008, 10:09 AM
There are differences for every MLB hologram. I have a page on my site explaining each one:

http://gameused.webs.com/mlbholograms.htm

godwulf
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Kyle...I've tried a few times to enter a DB number into the authentication site, without success. Now I know why...I thought maybe they were just backed up in Data Entry. :rolleyes:

Howard, whose helmet did you get ahold of? I've collected seven or eight Diamondbacks helmets over the years, myself.

At the ballpark, they have a game-used auction during each game, out in the rotunda, and last month I got really excited when I saw that they had one of Conor Jackson's from last year, and I was getting ready to pay whatever I needed to in order to get it...then I saw that it had been autographed by Justin Upton. I've got nothing against Upton, but why on Earth did they have him sign somebody else's helmet? I was tempted to buy it anyway and just clean JUp's sig off of it, but in the end I just didn't even bother to bid.

yankeepirate
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I picked up what is supposed to be a Nelson Figueroa batting helmet. It seems legit, but I am not 100% certain. However, who is going to fake a Figueroa helmet? Greg Maddox he ain't, though I really like the guy for a number of other reasons.

Do any of your Diamondbacks helmets have the ABC sticker on the inside of the helmet? Mine also has a rectangular Rawlings red and white sticker with some numbers I don't recall right now (since I am still at the office and the helmet is at home.)

You can write me at goldstein@goldlaw.com, since I always forget to check my GUU posts. Thanks.

-Howard