PDA

View Full Version : I am definitely fighting it right now!

nyjetsfan14
05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I now only collect New York Jets memorabilia. They are my true passion and financially + space/organization wise I just can't do other fav teams. But I also am a huge Jazz fan and with them being right in the hunt I find myself looking at many of their GU items around and feeling the itch to buy something. It happens to me when the Angels are doing well, the Kings in hockey, or UCLA in college sports. It is a real fight sometimes not to get started and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to stay streamlined, focused, and disciplined but when another fav team is doing well man it is hard. Anyone else have similar experiences?

dcrules01
05-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Mets are tops for my collection..But I also buys jerseys and other items for my other favorite teams Dallas Cowboys and Colorado Avalanche/Quebec Nordiques..But as of now I only collect Game Used items from the Mets..Space is always a problem lol and the wife :D

metsbats
05-10-2008, 11:45 AM
That's why I only watch baseball. My wife noticed I don't watch basketball, football, or hockey and only watch and attend baseball games. I told her be glad, be very very glad I'm a one sport guy.

David

bigtruck260
05-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Certainly.

I am a HUGE boxing fan. I see stuff all the time that I would like, but it would look awkward displayed with my Cardinals memorabilia.

I was in Vegas last year - at the Mandalay Bay, they have an unreal Game Used/memorabilia store...a pair of fight worn De La Hoya trunks will set you back 5 grand...but it still crossed my mind to buy them.

The Stratosphere also has a store like that. I would love to have had some of the Ripken stuff that they had displayed, but again - no place for it.

frikativ54
05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I have to restrain myself sometimes too. That was especially the problem with me and baseball cards. I would buy and buy, and there seemed to be little purpose in my collection. Now that I've sold a big portion of it, I think I have learned from my mistakes.

With game-used collectibles being so expensive, I don't think I've had to worry as much about acquiring stuff of too many teams/players. I only really have the money to collect items of one player, namely, Jeff Bagwell.

I guess I'm fine with that. I just feel really badly when I see the monthly pickups threads and most of the time, I have absolutely nothing to contribute. It's also hard as an Astros fan to know that I can't collect the whole team. I really want some Miguel Tejada batting gloves, but I have to be honest with my self and understand that I don't have the money.

OaklandAsFan
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
That's why I only watch baseball. My wife noticed I don't watch basketball, football, or hockey and only watch and attend baseball games. I told her be glad, be very very glad I'm a one sport guy.

David

funny you should say that cause I was a one sport guy (baseball) but my girlfriend got me into hockey now I am into big time and we had season tix to the Yotes this year (not a full season just partial) I can't afford to actually purchase things to add to my collection, pretty much everything I own was given to me personally by the player and I collect autographs as well. Now what used to be my downtime during the winter I go up to Scottsdale to watch the Yotes practice and get autographs and have collected a set a game used gloves, a game used helmet and between myself, my girlfriend and my kids we got 15 sticks this season. now I have a room that used to look like a baseball clubhouse that looks like a hockey/baseball clubhouse.

nyjetsfan14
05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I wonder what the norm is: one sport, one team, one player? Just jerseys, just helmets, just bats, just cleats, etc...? It seems the more specific the collecting the easier it is to be an "expert" and easier to find fillers for the collection. Obviously I stick with one team, the NY Jets, but it sure is hard when my other fav teams are experiencing success and I see some cool game used items of those teams available.

jake33
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Happens to me weekly, I will only get Bucs or Devil Rays game used items and I have wanted Don Mattingly game used jersey for years now, but I am always left wondering where do I put it? It sure would look strange with all the Rays and Bucs stuff and then a mattingly item out of no where.

I refuse to own any items that are store bought, ONLY game used.

I even saw a Lions game used jersey of BRoderick Thomas but I cannot have a Lions jersey in my collection. It is tough ebcause ti seems that whenever I haev money, there are no items I will see for months worth chasing, then as soon as I do not have extra $$ 3-4 great items will pop up. This hobby is really hunt and peck

frikativ54
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I refuse to own any items that are store bought, ONLY game used.

Then how do you wear a jersey to the game? I have to have my store-bought Astros jersey (I actually have several). Else there would be nothing else to wear on a day-to-day basis.

nyjetsfan14
05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Then how do you wear a jersey to the game? I have to have my store-bought Astros jersey (I actually have several). Else there would be nothing else to wear on a day-to-day basis.

Too funny! My father is contsantly dogging me by saying I am a grown man and should have someting in my wardrobe that isn't green and doesn't have a Jets helmet on it. Maybe someday when I really really grow up - bit probably not!

GO JETS!

nyjetsfan14
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
And now that I think about it, I promised my Dad that when I get off work tonite my son and I would make the trip over to his to watch the Jazz vs. Lakers with him...and I'll be wearing my Deron Williams Jazz jersey so there ya go...I can tell him I have a non green clothing item without a Jets helmet on it!

Dewey2007
05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I tried to fight it the last couple of days but gave in and bought a game used football jersey from Ball Park Heroes this morning. Stuck to a player I already have a jersey of so I guess that makes it OK or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

nyjetsfan14
05-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I tried to fight it the last couple of days but gave in and bought a game used football jersey from Ball Park Heroes this morning. Stuck to a player I already have a jersey of so I guess that makes it OK or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

What do you normally collect Dewey and who is the football player you are collecting "on the side?"

Dewey2007
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm mainly collecting stuff of players from my hometown of Alameda, CA. On the side I am collecting a few items of former Cal Bears players because I also work at the University. The football player in question is Duane Clemons. He is the only former pro athlete who was also a major in the academic department I work in.