PDA

View Full Version : OT: What Are Your Other Hobbies?

frikativ54
05-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I was just curious what you all like to do for fun, when you are not collecting game-used memorabilia. Please share your stories; I would be interested to read them.

Dewey2007
05-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I like to run in my spare time. I am not fast by any means and do not race competitively. I took up running about 2 1/2 years ago and do it for my health and also because it's fun and a great way to relieve stress.

I actually just completed my second marathon last weekend (see May Pickups thread for photo of me in action) and have run in some other races like half-marathons, 10K's, etc.

Jags Fan Dan
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to play a lot of music (bass guitar), mostly alternative type rock. One band I was in opened for Nickelback, another I was in opened for Helmet. That was before I got married and had a family, which is a hobby all in it's own!:D

Neely8
05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I used to play a lot of music (bass guitar), mostly alternative type rock. One band I was in opened for Nickelback, another I was in opened for Helmet. That was before I got married and had a family, which is a hobby all in it's own!:D

Helmet kicks a$$! I love that band and saw them a bunch of times. Was Paige Hamilton cool?

Neely8
05-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Aside from collecting game worn jerseys I am a car nut. Here's a couple of my hot rods.

Jags Fan Dan
05-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Helmet kicks a$$! I love that band and saw them a bunch of times. Was Paige Hamilton cool?
I have to tell you he was cool as all heck. He hung out with us backstage, we just kind of sat there stupid because he had been an idol of all of ours for years. But yes he was very cool. I still have my autographed Aftertaste tour T-Shirt!

Don't know if you ever heard of a band called Prong, we opened for them and their drummer, Ted Parsons, was very cool as well. Also hung out with Zakk Wylde when he was in town with Pride and Glory (we didn't open for them) and he was very cool, also.

Nickelback, on the other hand, let's just say I never spoke with them...

Neely8
05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I have to tell you he was cool as all heck. He hung out with us backstage, we just kind of sat there stupid because he had been an idol of all of ours for years. But yes he was very cool. I still have my autographed Aftertaste tour T-Shirt!

Don't know if you ever heard of a band called Prong, we opened for them and their drummer, Ted Parsons, was very cool as well. Also hung out with Zakk Wylde when he was in town with Pride and Glory (we didn't open for them) and he was very cool, also.

Nickelback, on the other hand, let's just say I never spoke with them...

Holy crap I can't believe you just mentioned Prong! I just listened to Cleansing a few times today. I met Zakk a few times and he is definitely a cool and friendly guy. Glad to hear Paige was a good guy too. Helmet has always been one of my favorites regardless of who is in the band at any particular time.

Jags Fan Dan
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Holy crap I can't believe you just mentioned Prong! I just listened to Cleansing a few times today. I met Zakk a few times and he is definitely a cool and friendly guy. Glad to hear Paige was a good guy too. Helmet has always been one of my favorites regardless of who is in the band at any particular time.
And to think, I am a car nut, too. Maybe we were separated at birth!!:D

bubbrubb25
05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Aside from collecting game worn jerseys I am a car nut. Here's a couple of my hot rods.
Nice cars, I really want a 1970 Nova when I turn 16 soon but I dont think im going to have enough. :(

Neely8
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice cars, I really want a 1970 Nova when I turn 16 soon but I dont think im going to have enough. :(

Thanks. The top one is a fully documented 70 GTO Judge. The other one is an 05 Vette. Both are a blast to drive for different reasons. The Vette is just plain fast as hell and while the Goat runs well it is just pure American muscle. Good luck in your quest for the Nova!

suave1477
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I am a bit of a car nut myself this is my other hobby not so much on the sports end of it but more on the customizing end.

Unfortunately I am not good at posting pics here but if anyone wants to see I am more then glad to show them.

1973 Buick Electra - custom painted 2 tone - 22 Inch Chrome rims - Engine Modifications - Dual Exhuast modification and a sick sound system.

1996 Honda Accord - Chrome Rims, Sound System, Engine Modifications, too many modifications to mention.

2006 Cadillac CTS - nothing major done yet. Just started on the sound system.

TNTtoys
05-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Bowling, bowling, and more bowling...

I left the game after the 2000-2001 season; got married, moved, switched jobs and baby girl came along that same year. Too much going on in the personal life to stay with it. After 5 years out of the game, I officially "came out of retirement" for the 2005-2006 season. After a "rusty" 1st season back, I have possibly had my best 2 years ever ('07-'07). I'm currently holding a 217 average, and have 5 perfect games in the past 15 months.

TNTtoys
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Bowling, bowling, and more bowling...

I left the game after the 2000-2001 season; got married, moved, switched jobs and baby girl came along that same year. Too much going on in the personal life to stay with it. After 5 years out of the game, I officially "came out of retirement" for the 2005-2006 season. After a "rusty" 1st season back, I have possibly had my best 2 years ever ('07-'07). I'm currently holding a 217 average, and have 5 perfect games in the past 15 months.

LOL I must be tired... '07-'08 would have looked a whole lot better!! Gotta get some rest 'cause I have to be up early tomorrow for (you know what)...

bigtruck260
05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
In my spare time...

I am the lead singer in a Christian Rock band - Never Forgotten

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=321284554

I am the president of a local boxing booster organization...

http://www.sefisticuffs.com/

When a free weekend happens, we go to the lake to catch a few bass.

Right now, my focus is on teaching my 2 year old the rudiments on his drum kit. It's been a little difficult since I sprained my right (bass foot) performing the stupid stunt seen below. Guys, if you weigh 260 pounds - and are no longer athletic enough to support your own weight...DO NOT try to impress your wife/girlfriend by doing something as stupid as this.
Somehow, I thought the tiny pebbles would cushion my fall - it was like landing on concrete.

Rob L
05-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Mountain bikes and VW Things!!!

34swtns
05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Lot of musicians on the board!

Here's my drum kit, as featured on the Ludwig Drummer website:

http://www.ludwigdrummer.com/Other%20Peoples%20Drums/rick%20moore/from_the_collection_of_rick_moore.htm

I play a smaller version of this kit with a local band a couple of times a year. I was a professional musician for most of the 80's - got off the road and settled down with the family in the 90's.

Fnazxc0114
05-10-2008, 11:49 PM
i am a avid deer hunter. i probably log about thirty days in the woods during deer season

eGameUsed
05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Car nut here too (sort of second hobby)! Third hobby both the wife and I share is adventure traveling. Planning a trip to Thailand soon!

Neely, I am jealous. I have to stick to my 2000 C5 until my better half gives me permission to get another crazy car payment. She says I can get another when I retire! Too bad I am only 29! Bought this one when I was 22 years old!

island_style
05-11-2008, 05:59 AM
As a former sponsored skateboarder who competed around the U.S., I try to collect skateboard decks and skate stickers whenever I can (whether they are original or re-issued). Sounds crazy, but some of the original decks are worth in the thousands now.

For a short while, I looked into signed contracts (and have since stopped). I only collected a few. The ones I have are (non-sports) Bing Crosby, (sports-related) Wes Parker AFTRA (film, television, radio) and Topps contracts of Steve Garvey, Walt Alston and Sid Fernandez.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Jags Fan Dan
05-11-2008, 06:56 AM
As a former sponsored skateboarder who competed around the U.S., I try to collect skateboard decks and skate stickers whenever I can (whether they are original or re-issued). Sounds crazy, but some of the original decks are worth in the thousands now.

For a short while, I looked into signed contracts (and have since stopped). I only collected a few. The ones I have are (non-sports) Bing Crosby, (sports-related) Wes Parker AFTRA (film, television, radio) and Topps contracts of Steve Garvey, Walt Alston and Sid Fernandez.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com
Wow, that is cool. I used to skate back in the day. I have a 1991 Ed templeton new Deal deck...is it worth anything?? :D

Vintagedeputy
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
As an offshoot to gu collecting, I also collect vintage baseball and football cards and autos.

As a firearms instructor (my business), I'm always involved in something related to guns and concealed carry training. I'm getting more and more involved in the Second Amendment battle.

I also am into metal detecting looking for old coins and civil war items.

Jim

frikativ54
05-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Wow - I can't say that I am into cars or rock music, but I have a number of other hobbies. I really enjoy photography; my subjects mainly include squirrels and raccoons. I also enjoy political activism and bringing speakers to my college. We've had speakers as noted as Daniel Dennett come to Reed College on his book tour in 2006. Here is my latest raccoon picture:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/-545401404/photos3998/3/1/41/46/64/2/264464101307_0_BG.jpg

I am also quite fond of this squirrel:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/servlet/Images/-1009859431/photos1499/1/81/31/32/32/2/232323181107_0_BG.jpg

Ozric
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I am also a former musician, but had to retire when the kids came along. I am an avid stage used drumstick collector and have obtained a bunch from legendary rock and Jazz drummers. The most in my collection so far is from the legendary Rush drummer Neil Peart. I actually recently sold one pair of his sticks for $1600 and they were not even used by him.

cjmedina1
05-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Well when I'm not trying to hunt down my next Mcgwire bat, I'm usually bowling on the PBA Western Regional tour on the weekends:)...

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

70to66
05-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Im also into cars, I have a 1969 mach 1 mustang and a 2006 mustang GT.
Ozric I have a stage used Bun e Carlos cheap trick drum stick contact me if you are interested or want to make an offer. jaythorpe@sbcglobal.net

allstarsplus
05-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I like cars especially 1950's and 1960's Cheverolet's.

My son Jake in the driver's seat.

I got a junked '57 Chevy Bel Air and cut the front off and got it made into a car couch for my drive-in Movie theatre in my home which I guess is another hobby that we like watching movies under the stars.

AWA85
05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Andrew, that is a sweet theater you put together.

My college tennis career just came to an end, so when I am not chasing down Jay Bruce and Adam Dunn bats I am playing golf or hitting the weight room. I am sure I won't put the old tennis rackets away completely.