PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know What Bat Sheffield Is Using?

suave1477
05-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I was just curious I noticed Sheff using a new bat possibly a new brand I was just curious if anyone else noticed it?

Its a 2 tone bat with an orangy red label in the middle.

Possibly a Nokona?

Does anyone know?

brianborsch
05-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I thought it was a Sam bat?b

skyking26
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Whatever it is, must have holes in it...he has not done squat for us this year or last. Yanks got the last laugh when they sent him packing...

earlywynnfan
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
I was at a game between the Tigers and Tribe, and was lucky enough to be 3 rows behind the dugout.

He is indeed using a Sam bat, with a bright orange bat.

Ken

metsbats
05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
It is a SAM bat. Looks like a departure from the typical gold labeling.

Isn't there a version of the Tiger's cap having an orange 'D' on a black cap and another with an orange visor?

David

suave1477
05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone I was thrown off a bit I am so used to seeing the Gold bat.

SkyKing I wouldnt nessicarly say Sheffield hasn't done anything for you.

25 home runs last year is not exactly nothing.

Not to mention he had a terrible 2006 with the Yankees, not to mention he is at the end of his career.
Tigers knew all this going into picking Sheff up.
What more can you really expect out of him then to be a decent DH???

Not for nothing if he can get back on track and stay healthy he is a Very Solid DH.

skyking26
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone I was thrown off a bit I am so used to seeing the Gold bat.

SkyKing I wouldnt nessicarly say Sheffield hasn't done anything for you.

25 home runs last year is not exactly nothing.

Not to mention he had a terrible 2006 with the Yankees, not to mention he is at the end of his career.
Tigers knew all this going into picking Sheff up.
What more can you really expect out of him then to be a decent DH???

Not for nothing if he can get back on track and stay healthy he is a Very Solid DH.
I live in the Detroit area. When you have a payroll that is 2nd only to the Yankees and put out a product like they are now - sorry but I can't say too much positive about this club, or Mr. Sheffield. Shef was a bit of a disruptive influence last year stating he would not DH, would not do this or that. When you are getting paid what he is, forgive me, but you'll go where you ae told to go. Granted it is only early May, but Shef usually is a bust every time he comes up. I don't think there is much left in the tank... Yes, the Tigers were aware of this. I'm not saying every move they have made have been good ones.
25 HRS are fine, but as in ANY job, it is not about what you did last year, it is about what you are doing now. With that said, when you make the dough these guys make and start telling your boss what you will and won't do and don't produce numbers that back it up - then you are not going to engratiate yourself with the fans. The other thing he went into last year was stating the latinos were walked on and the African Americans stood up for themselves. I wonder how those comments sat with Magglio and some of the others? Sometimes it is best to keep mouths shut and do the job. Sheffield would do well to heed those words.

suave1477
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
skyking I agree with you

BUT

Put yourself in his shoes as far as playing wise, he is not over the hill yet I think if he stays healthy he is going to still be a decent player.
So when your not over the hill you still have power and can still play the field would you want to sit on the bench every day just waiting for a chance to play when you see young kids running out to the field every inning.

I understand what your saying as far as your getting paid a lot do your job.

But as being a human being even you would want to still play.

Here is another example when you were a kid, and out at the park with friends, maybe you werent the best player so you didnt get picked to play so you sat there the whole game watching your friends run out onto the field didnt you want to run out there too. Now imagine here is a power hitting guy who sits and sits and sits to wait his turn. You don't think that gets to him? He also does make a valid point, by sitting on the bench all that time (you do get cold) your not working up a sweat and then your expected to go the plate and hit a home run.
Thats easier said then done.

David Ortiz is great for doing this but remember that is a rarity that you can just walk up to a plate after sitting so long and smack a home run.

Lets see what Sheff does???

skyking26
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
skyking I agree with you

BUT

Put yourself in his shoes as far as playing wise, he is not over the hill yet I think if he stays healthy he is going to still be a decent player.
So when your not over the hill you still have power and can still play the field would you want to sit on the bench every day just waiting for a chance to play when you see young kids running out to the field every inning.

I understand what your saying as far as your getting paid a lot do your job.

But as being a human being even you would want to still play.

Here is another example when you were a kid, and out at the park with friends, maybe you werent the best player so you didnt get picked to play so you sat there the whole game watching your friends run out onto the field didnt you want to run out there too. Now imagine here is a power hitting guy who sits and sits and sits to wait his turn. You don't think that gets to him? He also does make a valid point, by sitting on the bench all that time (you do get cold) your not working up a sweat and then your expected to go the plate and hit a home run.
Thats easier said then done.

David Ortiz is great for doing this but remember that is a rarity that you can just walk up to a plate after sitting so long and smack a home run.

Lets see what Sheff does???

This is a fun debate. I'll bite. Sure, let's see what Sheff does - I hope he does well. I'd have to disagree a bit with regards to the statements about how Sheff "feels" watching everybody else play. Who cares? He is being paid to do a job. How he "feels" does not come into play. Yes, there are those that do not excel at DH because they get cold. If he is one of these individuals, than he is not a fit. At this point I am not sure where he fits because he is not producing.

With Brandon Inge, he found his 3rd base job gone when we acquired Cabrera and grumbled publicly during the spring about not wanting to catch, not wanting to do this or that. Well, the Tigers obviuosly felt they had a better guy at your position, so suck it up and prove your worthiness elsewhere. He has responded and been one of the only bright spots on a very disappointing club thus far.

My point has been and shall remain, these guys are highly paid athletes that should do whatever they must to win and act in a professional manner. Oftentimes that would mean keeping one's mouth shut and conducting their business. Sheff could take a que from Inge here...