PDA

View Full Version : Who washes/repairs jerseys

nyjetsfan14
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I just thought this was a very interesting read - I mean 10 bucks an hour????

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-seamstress12-2008may12,0,760176.story

AWA85
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, that is a good read. Sure would be a tough job for me to hold once a few of those jerseys come up missing :D. The pay is very sad, seems like the managers know how valuable they are but don't want to reward them.

nyjetsfan14
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow, that is a good read. Sure would be a tough job for me to hold once a few of those jerseys come up missing :D. The pay is very sad, seems like the managers know how valuable they are but don't want to reward them.

I agree...shocking that she makes so little while everyone around her makes so much. I am not saying she should be a millionaire but come on. She takes care of visiting teams as well. It is nice to see that in big pro sports there is still a little family involvement. I wonder if she is ever compensated with jerseys? Like you said, if it were us that would be one heck of a temptation to accidentally lose a Vladdy gamer :D

kingjammy24
05-12-2008, 10:29 AM
"Outfielder Vladimir Guerrero, for example, destroys several jerseys each summer by nervously picking apart the piping on the bottom of his sleeves,.."

1) i wonder how many guerrero "gamers" out there have noticeable wear on the sleeve piping

2) after this article came out, i wonder how many guerrero jerseys are now going to show up with noticeable wear on the sleeve piping.

anyway, she seems like a cool lady. she's probably got more info on the proper specs for players jerseys than many of the "pro" authenticators out there. at $10/hr, she'd make considerably more if she closed up shop and became a "foremost expert".

rudy.

metsbats
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree...shocking that she makes so little while everyone around her makes so much. I am not saying she should be a millionaire but come on. She takes care of visiting teams as well. It is nice to see that in big pro sports there is still a little family involvement. I wonder if she is ever compensated with jerseys? Like you said, if it were us that would be one heck of a temptation to accidentally lose a Vladdy gamer :D

The minimum wage in CA is $8 per hour which is above the US Federal Government min wage. She's at least above the CA min.

I hope like the clubhouse attendants and batboys she at least gets some nice tips from the the players from both the home and visting sides.

David

Nathan
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Tough to get the stick marks out of hockey jerseys? That's the point!

Seriously, if people understood exactly how much impact it takes to create marks on a hockey jersey, no one would ever try to launder them out.

And then you would know why anyone who alters a gamer to wear around is worthy of death.;)

camarokids
05-12-2008, 08:11 PM
It did say she got a World Series Ring in 2002 .....

I bet the ring is worth at least a few thousand dollars if not 5-6K , depending on the diamonds etc.....

I think she needs a raise though , where could you hire a seamstress (a good one) for $10 an hour ?????

josports
05-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Good job Rudy way to point out the negatives to a story. We can always depend on YOU!!

skyking26
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
It did say she got a World Series Ring in 2002 .....

I bet the ring is worth at least a few thousand dollars if not 5-6K , depending on the diamonds etc.....

I think she needs a raise though , where could you hire a seamstress (a good one) for $10 an hour ?????

With California's cost of living, ten dollars is a sad wage. I am sure she enjoys what she does and probably is just happy to do what she is doing, but c'mon...

skipcarayislegend
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Good job Rudy way to point out the negatives to a story. We can always depend on YOU!!

Jarrod, however unfortunate it is, Rudy's points about the sleeves are correct. At one point you were dealing game used equipment, right? After reading that article, if someone offered you a Guerrero Angels jersey would you not look for signs of unusual sleeve wear? And if you saw it, would you automatically assume the wear was legit? I hate to say this but our hobby isn't exactly a haven for honesty anymore. I know, there are still plenty of great people involved in it, but whether you'd like to admit it or not, the amount of money being thrown around here day in and day out makes the idea of ripping apart sleeve piping on Vladimir Guerrero jerseys is likely pretty tempting to a lot of people.

When it comes to buying game used equipment I'm kind of like those ghost hunter guys that first try and debunk all the noises and mist or whatever before they call it a ghost. In most cases I just assume I'll find a problem or three with something that I really like. I'd be willing to bet that most of us on here are skeptics first and believers second. That pessimistic side of me has also probably saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

On another note, I did a brief photo search of Guerrero as an Angel on Getty and AP and found that the piping on most of his jerseys appeared normal. There were definitely a few that showed sleeves that looked like they had been picked apart, like the one below. But if Erica Ford is as good as everyone in the article said she is then why would we see lots of photos like that? Isn’t it her job to fix them? If she didn’t or couldn’t, then why would the Rangers ask her to mend their uniforms as well? Personally I think you’ll find more legit Vlady shirts without the type of sleeve wear she talked about than with. Perhaps you could see sleeve repairs or something.

-Jason