PDA

View Full Version : The Demise of Wooden Bats?

bradleysupplies
05-15-2008, 08:45 PM
As a collector of Sports Illustrated, I recently picked up a few mint newsstand copies from the 80’s. I enjoy going back through old copies and reading some of the articles. My latest read is the July 24th, 1989 copy featuring Gregg Jefferies on the cover swinging a shattered bat, with the headline, “Wooden Bats are Doomed”. Written by Peter Gammons, the story talked about “the end of an era”, describes the reasons wooden bats will no longer be used in the Major Leagues, and even quotes Jack Hillerich:

"I certainly see a time in the not-too-distant future when everyone will be using some alternative bat—aluminum, graphite or some composite," says Jack Hillerich, the third-generation president of Hillerich & Bradsby, which, because of its Louisville Sluggers, has been synonymous with baseball bats for more than 100 years. "A wood bat is a financially obsolete deal. If we were selling them for $40 apiece instead of $14 or $16.50 I the company's prices for minor league and major league bats I. then we'd be making a sensible profit. But we aren't. We can't charge that much. The time will come when even the majors will use aluminum or graphite."

And another quote: "No one even wants the major league business anymore," adds Chuck Schupp, H & B director of professional bat sales. "

My questions are as follows:

What has changed since 1989 to falsify this prediction?
If nobody wants the MLB business anymore, why are there so many new entries into the marketplace?
What is the current view of wood vs. other materials at H&B?
Is there anything close to wood made of newer materials?
If wood bats went the way of the Dodo bird, would this make alternative material bats more valuable because the supply would be that much less?
How would it affect your collecting habits?This is meant to be a lively and fun discussion. The full original article can also now be accessed at the following page:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068610/1/index.htm (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1068610/1/index.htm)

I would especially like to hear from Brian Hillerich!

Joel

BMH
05-16-2008, 06:03 AM
What has changed since 1989 to falsify this prediction?
I don't have an answer for that one; my Uncle sees things a lot differently than most people do. I know at the time we were having serious financial difficulty and were close to shutting down. As for me, I was fifteen at the time and didn’t really care much for the business.

If nobody wants the MLB business anymore, why are there so many new entries into the marketplace? There might be a lot of entries into the MLB business but how many of them are actually making money? Many of the newer companies jumped on board with the Maple entry into MLB. A lot of them are no longer around. I know a few who are having financial difficulties at the moment.

What is the current view of wood vs. other materials at H&B? I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this one.

Is there anything close to wood made of newer materials? I can’t discuss that one.

If wood bats went the way of the Dodo bird, would this make alternative material bats more valuable because the supply would be that much less? Depends on the material they’re made out of; I don’t see bats being made out of some exotic material that would be in short supply….well except composites which are in demand and hard to make now costing up to $400. I guess that could be your answer!

How would it affect your collecting habits? I don’t collect, so I guess it effect mine very much.

bradleysupplies
05-16-2008, 08:20 AM
What is the current view of wood vs. other materials at H&B?I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this one.

Is there anything close to wood made of newer materials?I can’t discuss that one.

Brian - Thank you for your insights. My question above had to do more with if there is an opinion that the wood bats will still 'go away', or if they are hear to stay, and maybe the reasons why that opinion has changed. Maybe it has to do with MLB tradition of using wood or the ability for your company to sell bats for more $$ than in 1989.

One other thing quoted in the article had to do with the quality of the wood. Has the quality of the wood improved, perhaps through more efficient growing methods as a result of research in plant genetics to grow trees with more desirable wood properties? I understand if you cannot get into specifics.

Thanks,
Joel