PDA

View Full Version : Why no bats on market from Ripken's last season?

cjclong
05-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Has anyone seen any bats from Cal Ripken's last year in 2001 on the market? I have seen a number from the late 1880s and early 1990's but virtually none from his last year in 2001 and I wondered if there was any particular reason there don't seem to be any around? Maybe they are out there but I am not seeing them.

orioles03
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
i sold one on ebay to forum member mr miracle it was from his last week playing it had a piece of tape on it which said stoped using afer 10-1-2001 written on the tape i believe the bat was cracked

suave1477
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
[quote=cjclong;84225]Has anyone seen any bats from Cal Ripken's last year in 2001 on the market? I have seen a number from the late 1880s and early 1990's quote]

Wow he truly was Ironman playing for over a 100 years lol lol:D

Im sorry I couldnt resist lol

Vintagedeputy
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
doesnt Cal have a secret vault with all his old bats and they have tape markings on them indicating when he used them?

cjclong
05-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, those 1880's bats are pretty rare.Guess I was looking for those in the wrong century.

mr.miracle
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Orioles03 Did in fact sell me a great bat. It is a perfect Ripken Bat from Cal's final week of his career. My understanding is several factors. We know Cal was very protective of his game used gear throughout his career but especially over the final few years. You simply see very, very few legit gamers from not only his final year but from the labeling period of 98 -01 his final year.

Cal during his final seasons exclusively shared a locker room with Brady Anderson or at least that is my understanding. I have heard he kept this locker room locked up at all times so that nothing walked out of the clubhouse.

Since 2001 was his final season, my guess is that he really kept a close eye on everything and basically everything from that final year is in his possession or was shipped to Cooperstown. The bat that Orioles03 sold me is in fact the ONLY legit 2001 gamer that I have ever seen. In fact, all of the other bats from that labeling period dated to 98 or 99 through 2000-01 when the new labeling style with the MLB hologram went into affect but not to the 2001 season when not only the MLB hologram appeared on the bats but the TPX logo appeared on LS bats.

Thanks

Carlevv
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Cal gave me a bat in 2001 after he broke it during a game. Earlier that year he broke a bat and i asked him for it. He told me he couldnt give it away because he "utilized them for auctions". I guess the second time he felt bad for me so he gave it up. Cal was very tight with his stuff that year. The new stuff not so much but the stuff he used he practically has GPS on it.

allstarsplus
05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
doesnt Cal have a secret vault with all his old bats and they have tape markings on them indicating when he used them?

Jim - I don't know if it is a secret vault, but one of Cal's employees called it his "storage" room.

It seemed to me that the last few years of Cal's career we saw less and less bats out there, but we seemed to see a lot of jerseys (how many were real???)

mr.miracle
05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Carlevv:

Any ideas what Auctions he was talking about? I have never seen anything from Cal's final season at any major auction and at least up to this point seven years after he retired, Ironclad is still not running any of his game used stuff. I emailed them about two weeks ago and asked them if they thought that they would have any Ripken game used items in their upcoming first ever high end auction in July and the response I received was that they were hoping to get a couple of game used bats directly from Cal. I remember sometime last summer I spoke to someone at Ironclad and they claimed that they were going to go over to Cal's house and go through the secret bat vaults and inventory the game used items and in the future planned to sell it through Ironclad. I will believe that when I see it.

Thanks

metsbats
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Interesting thread.

Not to hijack this thread but the same can be said regarding Wade Boggs legit gamers from 90-92 the last three years with the BoSox. Most of the Boggs gamers out there are either Yankees, Rays or pre 1990 bats.

You dont come across may 90-92 Boggs gamers.

David

Vintagedeputy
05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.netglimse.com/images/celebs/bio//8068_512.jpg

Let's open Cal's vault!

orioles03
05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
in 2002 cal still had all his bats in a the room which him and brady shared the of the players and i went down to the room he took like 20 bats because they were the size he used and when he played with cal he would use some of his bats it was the end of the2002 season and he put all the cal bats in his car to ship home to arizona and somewhere in between baltimore and arizona all 20 bats were stolen because the car had to be kept unlocked he was mad so there is at least 20 floating around

Carlevv
05-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Carlevv:

Any ideas what Auctions he was talking about? I have never seen anything from Cal's final season at any major auction and at least up to this point seven years after he retired, Ironclad is still not running any of his game used stuff. I emailed them about two weeks ago and asked them if they thought that they would have any Ripken game used items in their upcoming first ever high end auction in July and the response I received was that they were hoping to get a couple of game used bats directly from Cal. I remember sometime last summer I spoke to someone at Ironclad and they claimed that they were going to go over to Cal's house and go through the secret bat vaults and inventory the game used items and in the future planned to sell it through Ironclad. I will believe that when I see it.

Thanks
Im not sure what auctions Cal was talking about. Maybe he was just using that line on me so he didnt have to give up the bat. I was a batboy for 10 years so i think he finally gave in when he gave me the bat in 2001. Jim Tyler was a part of Cal's lockdown team. Jim would be in the dugout after every game to make sure Cal's bats got from the dugout to the clubhouse. Jim was and maybe still is the Orioles equipment manager. They had an airtight system down. I actually like the fact that Cal never sold all his stuff like the guys do now.

ironmanfan
05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I actually like the fact that Cal never sold all his stuff like the guys do now.

Maybe Cal doesn't want to compete with the so-called Orioles "team photographer" for his GU items...:)

mr.miracle
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Maybe Cal doesn't want to compete with the so-called Orioles "team photographer" for his GU items...:)

Good point Ironmanfan. Although ultimately, the "team photographer" that you referenced came directly from that person's mouth to me. I have simply been repeating what I was told. I guess since was was employed by an Orioles player at the time and was on the field photographing not only that player but the team, by definition, that would make him a team photographer would it not? Call me stupid but that kind of makes sense.

Thanks

Carlevv
05-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Is the "team photographer" some kind of an inside joke?

mr.miracle
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Is the "team photographer" some kind of an inside joke?

Hello Carlevv:

Yeah, it is a poor attempt by Ironmanfan to continue for some reason to poke jabs at me for some unknown reason. I acquired a game used Ripken batting helmet from a gentleman who worked directly for former Oriole 3rd baseman Ray Knight at Memorial Stadium photographing not only Knight but the Orioles. The gentleman had on-field access and credentials and acquired a substantial amount of game used items including a number of items used by Ripken. There should be a number of threads on here especially about the origins of the batting helmet. The gentleman in question repeatedly told me he was an Orioles team photographer. For some reason unbeknowst to the rest of the world, Ironmanfan finds this to be a major problem and some type of great joke. The gentleman was not employed directly by the Orioles but was employed by Ray Knight. He did have field access as I have photos of him on the field and photos with Cal Ripken signed by Cal Ripken etc. What bearing this also has on anything is beyond me to be quite honest.

Quite frankly I am tired of attempting to be nice to Ironmanfan. He has repeatedly attempted to belittle me on this forum over the past three years almost since its inception because I posted a quote from him in a private email that I should not have posted on this forum a long time ago. I repeatedly have apologized to him to no avail. I get along with everyone on this planet, have no enemies that I am aware of and I am probably the most laid back person that anyone could know. I have no idea what his problem is but at this point could quite honestly care less if he does or does not like me. I am and always will be a huge fan of Cal Ripken jr. and a collector of his game used and non game used items. If Ironmanfan has a problem with that or does not have a problem with that good or bad for him. I have attempted to contact him privately through dozens and dozens of emails that have always gone unanswered. The thing that really, really bothers me is that he has an amazing inside access to all things Cal Ripken Jr. that nobody else does have or probably ever will have yet he picks and chooses his responses based on what he is able to insult on this forum. If and when anything that is solid in terms of Ripken game used does appear on this forum, he never comments on it. As soon as something questionable comes up he is all over it. It would be nice to get a thumbs up on good solid items from him but that is certainly his perogative. My work schedule and the repeated barbs from Ironmanfan are several reasons why I rarely ever make any posts on this forum any longer. As always, I wanted to take the high road and handle this off forum however since he will never ever respond to anything that I send him in the form of emails and yet continues to attempt to turn items I post into a large joke I felt that I could answer that in part here.

Sorry to ramble but hopefully in a long-winded way that helps answer the question that yes, this is in fact some person's attempt to once again turn a post I made into a joke.

Thanks

mr.miracle
05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello Carlevv:

Yeah, it is a poor attempt by Ironmanfan to continue for some reason to poke jabs at me for some unknown reason. I acquired a game used Ripken batting helmet from a gentleman who worked directly for former Oriole 3rd baseman Ray Knight at Memorial Stadium photographing not only Knight but the Orioles. The gentleman had on-field access and credentials and acquired a substantial amount of game used items including a number of items used by Ripken. There should be a number of threads on here especially about the origins of the batting helmet. The gentleman in question repeatedly told me he was an Orioles team photographer. For some reason unbeknowst to the rest of the world, Ironmanfan finds this to be a major problem and some type of great joke. The gentleman was not employed directly by the Orioles but was employed by Ray Knight. He did have field access as I have photos of him on the field and photos with Cal Ripken signed by Cal Ripken etc. What bearing this also has on anything is beyond me to be quite honest.

Quite frankly I am tired of attempting to be nice to Ironmanfan. He has repeatedly attempted to belittle me on this forum over the past three years almost since its inception because I posted a quote from him in a private email that I should not have posted on this forum a long time ago. I repeatedly have apologized to him to no avail. I get along with everyone on this planet, have no enemies that I am aware of and I am probably the most laid back person that anyone could know. I have no idea what his problem is but at this point could quite honestly care less if he does or does not like me. I am and always will be a huge fan of Cal Ripken jr. and a collector of his game used and non game used items. If Ironmanfan has a problem with that or does not have a problem with that good or bad for him. I have attempted to contact him privately through dozens and dozens of emails that have always gone unanswered. The thing that really, really bothers me is that he has an amazing inside access to all things Cal Ripken Jr. that nobody else does have or probably ever will have yet he picks and chooses his responses based on what he is able to insult on this forum. If and when anything that is solid in terms of Ripken game used does appear on this forum, he never comments on it. As soon as something questionable comes up he is all over it. It would be nice to get a thumbs up on good solid items from him but that is certainly his perogative. My work schedule and the repeated barbs from Ironmanfan are several reasons why I rarely ever make any posts on this forum any longer. As always, I wanted to take the high road and handle this off forum however since he will never ever respond to anything that I send him in the form of emails and yet continues to attempt to turn items I post into a large joke I felt that I could answer that in part here.

Sorry to ramble but hopefully in a long-winded way that helps answer the question that yes, this is in fact some person's attempt to once again turn a post I made into a joke.

Thanks

One last thing Bill, if you would like to stop acting in such a juvenile
asinine manner and handle this professionally as adults, please feel free to call me my number is listed below. My email has always been posted on here and of course you have it from the dozens of emails that I have sent you in the past that you never once responded to. I am not a hard person to find. My number is 717-578-3960.

Thanks