PDA

View Full Version : Did I buy a solid Piazza bat?

matt
05-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I did not do as much research as I usually do on this one, but the bat
looked solid to me. Any Piazza experts want to chime in? Sorry for the large pics...

Mike Piazza Game Used and Signed Bat.From being drafted in the 62nd
round of the draft, Piazza quickly rose to become a feared power hitter.
The Mizuno professional bat offered exhibits extensive ball marks on the
barrel and bat rack marks from time used in the big leagues. Additionally
Piazza added his autograph to the barrel of the bat in black sharpie.
Piazza's uniform number(31) is written on the end of the knob in black
marker. LOA from PSA/DNA.

Jags Fan Dan
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
At first glance, it looks good to me.

Jags Fan Dan
05-19-2008, 02:48 PM
More pics:

Jags Fan Dan
05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry about the small pic on the last post:

metsbats
05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Matt,

Is MP stamped on the knob and is the bat 34.5 inches? If so it's definitely a game bat. The pine tar application is in the typical location consistent with Piazza gamers. The bat looks like a mid 90's Dodgers era bat from the "World Win" stamping on the barrel.

Piazza does not sign gamers and charges $600 to sign bats.

Nice pickup!

David

matt
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Dan - Thanks for the good photo style matches!

Mets - Heres the knob with the proper "MP" on it. Weirdly, the listing did not state length, so that worries be a bit, but the markings and sig look solid to me. I will measure it when it arrives...

Anyone else have any thoughts I should look at before paying?

Anyone know what part of Piazza's career this is from? The "World Win"
Mizuno model should be a clue.

Matt

metsbats
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Matt,

Definitely got a winner there. The "mizuno" written on the knob leads me to believe it's a Dodgers bat. I've seen brands written on the knobs of Dodger player bats.

If you don't pay for it let me know and I'll take it. That's how good I think it is :D

Enjoy
-David

TNTtoys
05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Absolutely a Dodgers era bat. Signature on the bat is an early signature. Brand model written on the knob. Finally, was one of a few Dodgers era Piazza bats to hit the same auction. The others were even earlier.

I did extensive research on this one and was the high bidder for the whole night until 1 minute to go...

Carlevv
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Well, it started out as a Dodger bat but could have ended up a A's bat. The reason i say that is the Dodger equipement manager Mitch always writes the brand name on the knob. That being said it could have been used as an Athletic as well. Maybe im nitpicking here but it is for sure a Piazza gamer. Nice bat.

metsbats
05-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Well, it started out as a Dodger bat but could have ended up a A's bat. The reason i say that is the Dodger equipement manager Mitch always writes the brand name on the knob. That being said it could have been used as an Athletic as well. Maybe im nitpicking here but it is for sure a Piazza gamer. Nice bat.

Hi Carlevv,

THe "World Win" on the labeling dates this bat to the early to late 90's therefore it's a Dodgers bat. An A's era Mizuno would have "Mizuno Pro" instead of "World Win" above Piazza's name. (see the photos posted on this thread.

David

Carlevv
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Metsbats, good call. Great Dodger bat!

matt
05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks like Piazza retired today. Too bad, as I hoped he would come back after the injury last year.

Thanks to all of you who gave me your insight on the bat. It is on the way to me from Heritage now. I continue to try and narrow down the date range in which the World Win Mizuno was produced.

Matt

matt
05-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks to all of you again. ..If any of you are actually still following this thread, I got this bat in hand and it is fantastic. The auction failed to show the back of the bat. Check out the deep seam marks and nasty cleat marks. Anyone know what these other marks are (brown and more like indents)..what the hell was he hitting with it?

There is also a good marks from a donut, which always makes me think a bat is more likely a gamer than a BP bat...

Matt

metsbats
05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Matt,

Here are the barrels of 3 Piazza gamers. They have dent and marks similar to yours.

Two of the bats are from the 2000 Mets season and the darker bat is actually a Jose Canseco Mizuno model Piazza used during the 1993-94 season.

David

metsbats
05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
One thing i noticed about your Piazza Mizuno is that it's unfinished. All the Piazza gamers i've seen are finished.

David

metsbats
05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
One thing i noticed about your Piazza Mizuno is that it's unfinished. All the Piazza gamers i've seen are finished.

David

Matt before you read too much into this. I 'm just making an observation and not questioning your bat because it's not finished.

David

matt
05-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Metsbats -

No offense taken! I think the photos are just not showing properly, but it does have a layer of finish. Some parts are so worn it looks unfinished. Thanks for all the insight.

Matt

metsbats
05-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Matt,

I just picked up this Piazza gamer today. Please check out the dents on the barrel.

-David