PDA

View Full Version : Stargell Helmet?

aeneas01
05-21-2008, 08:21 AM
what do you guys think of the stargell helmet that just sold on ebay? i'm a big pirates' fan (tough road) and, although i don't collect anything but football helmets, i'm starting to develop an interest in vintage pirates batting helmets...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150246450036&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

skipcarayislegend
05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
This helmet went for about $90 in American Memorabilia's Jan. 2007 auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=33798

Note that the auction title read as follows: "Willie Stargell Signed Full-Size Pirates Batting Helmet (Game-Worn by Another Player)." I don't how the seller came to the conclusion that Stargell wore this, especially given that, as far as I know, he always wore flapless helmets. It's a nice helmet but one that, imo, was likely never touched by Stargell aside from when he signed it.

momen55
05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
i emailed the seller during the auction regardring willie not wearing that and he told me that more or less that since it came from eric gregg's collection, it was ligit. typical ebay moron. and like usual, someone got suckered for almost $500.

ironmanfan
05-21-2008, 09:41 AM
since when did Stargell EVER wear a helmet with an ear flap? Can anyone here provide photo documentation here otherwise?

hblakewolf
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Besides the auto. on the side, how in the world can this be attributed to Stargell, or for that matter, and specific player? I'd expect to see the usual applied numbers on the back or bill, as was the norm.

It appears to be a generic Pirates helmet that Stargell autographed.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

skipcarayislegend
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
since when did Stargell EVER wear a helmet with an ear flap? Can anyone here provide photo documentation here otherwise?

There doesn't appear to be any type of player identification anywhere on it. Therefore, photo-matches aside, even if an image of him wearing a single-flap helmet existed, there's no way you could ever prove the ebay/AM helmet was used by Stargell.

The seller's name looks familiar. Is he a GUU member?

aeneas01
05-21-2008, 11:13 AM
This helmet went for about $90 in American Memorabilia's Jan. 2007 auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=33798

Note that the auction title read as follows: "Willie Stargell Signed Full-Size Pirates Batting Helmet (Game-Worn by Another Player)." I don't how the seller came to the conclusion that Stargell wore this, especially given that, as far as I know, he always wore flapless helmets. It's a nice helmet but one that, imo, was likely never touched by Stargell aside from when he signed it.

i emailed the buyer a link to the am auction you provided - he responded pretty quickly with "thank you." i also emailed a link to the seller - no response. unfortunately if the buyer backs out the seller will probably just offer it to the next bidder, a bidder that can't be contacted.