PDA

View Full Version : McGwire glove in Mastro auction-Rudy...HELP!!!

hblakewolf
02-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Forum readers & Rudy-

As an avid McGwire equipment collector, I initially had interest in the following "game used McGwire glove" in the current Mastro auction:

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=55994&CurrentRow=1

I have 3 concerns with the glove:

The laces are not characteristic of ANY McGwire glove I have seen. MAC was well known for having extra long laces on his gloves, and all of them untied. This glove has short laces.

The thumb area. McGwire had a unique trait on the thumb area-this glove is void of this.

The glove looks brand new!

Rudy or any fellow Forum reader-can anyone produce a photo of McGwire using this specific glove or a similar glove with the short laces?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

whatupyos
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Howard,
I have never seen that type of glove before. In all my cards/photos, he's never had any glove that has his name on the thumb like that, and you're right, the laces are long on his actual gloves. I've seen a real one up close in a memorabilia store that he used to frequent in my neigborhood where he had some equipment and all his awards on display and the MASTRO glove is not consistant with his actual stuff. It's a fraud glove if you ask me.

Aaron
SunDevil2126628@aol.com

kingjammy24
02-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Howard,

I'm about the farthest thing from a glove expert that you can find. Also not big on McGwire. (Except for when he was a Bash Brother). However, I do enjoy a good goose chase for images that likely don't exist. Long story short, I couldn't find any images of him using this glove during the time period when he used a glove similar to this general style.

Here's something I did notice though. I noticed that McGwire gloves (of this time period) typically had 'tan' colored piping. The Mastro glove has all black piping. Not sure what this really means. Just an observation. Perhaps the piping could be used to date the glove? See image below:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6681/mac3sr.jpg

I also remember that at the height of his popularity, Rawlings was selling McGwire model mitts that seemed very close to the real thing. (I don't know which model was more popular and lucrative for Rawlings - the McGwire first baseman's mitt or Griffey's TB24 model). At this point, Rawlings will pretty much custom-make any glove you want. They also have the option to sew on names, just like the pros, in a variety of thread colors and fonts. I'd genuinely be interested to learn the difference between one of the top-of-the-line, $400 Rawlings 'McGwire' gloves that Rawlings sold a few years ago and a legit, game-issued/worn one. Too bad the Mastro images don't show the inside of the mitt where we could see the model number and codes.

Rudy.

kingjammy24
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
One more thought: Forget the laces for a second, is it possible to find a pic of McGwire using a glove with all-black piping?

Rudy.

hblakewolf
02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Rudy-
Once again, AMAZING early research.

I have plenty of photos of MAC at first base, and cant locate one with the all black glove, either.

The correct model glove should be PRO-CMHCB. The glove in the Mastro auction is this correct model.

I challenge you to locate a photo of:
All black MAC glove
MAC glove that matches the Mastro glove with short laces

Good luck!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

gameused
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Howard,

You may want to contact this seller on ebay lexibell who has been listing slides on ebay of McGwire and other MLB players. He currently has a about 15 slides of Mac right now up on ebay and I'm sure he has more that has not been listed, he may have that photo of that glove your looking for.

Bobby

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-5-Mark-McGwire-St-Louis-Cardinals-Slides-w-Rig_W0QQitemZ8771407091QQcategoryZ44817QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-5-Mark-McGwire-St-Louis-Cardinals-Slides-w-Rig_W0QQitemZ8771407084QQcategoryZ44817QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hblakewolf
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Bobby-
Thanks a ton-I'll get in touch with him.

I am always buying quality McGwire game used equipment.

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Howard,

Why not just buy it and take advantage of MEARS money back guarantee that you always talk about if it's proven to not be authentic. Remember, these the same authenticators that you were comfortable with when they were authenticating your jeter mizuno model glove as authentic....

hblakewolf
03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Howard,

Why not just buy it and take advantage of MEARS money back guarantee that you always talk about if it's proven to not be authentic. Remember, these the same authenticators that you were comfortable with when they were authenticating your jeter mizuno model glove as authentic....

Dave-
The McGwire glove is questionable at best, and has been shown on this Forum to have serious issues. I'm not in the habit of buying questionable items from auctions just for the sake of returning them, nor am I aware of any other "seasoned collector" doing this. What would be the point? Based on your past feedback and information on the Forum, why does your suggestion of buying it just for the sake of returning it not surprise me?

In regard to your obsession with the Jeter glove, I find it interesting that you continue to dwell on it. You are the only individual who has ever had an issue with it. Don't you find it interesting that you are the only one on the Forum who has the slightest care about it? Buyers remorse? Dave, similar to my 18 month old daughters obsession with her pacifier, let the Jeter glove go-I assure you, you'll be just fine and wont loose any sleep, either.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Howard,

I am saying buy it with the intention of keeping it, have it physically inspected by Denny to confirm it's authenticity, and enjoy it. If a conclusive issue is found after inspection with the glove to disprove it's authenticity, you have the guarantee to fall back on. If all is well, then then you have both MEARS and Denny's confirmation of authenticity. I don't see a problem with that....

hblakewolf
03-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Howard,

I am saying buy it with the intention of keeping it, have it physically inspected by Denny to confirm it's authenticity, and enjoy it. If a conclusive issue is found after inspection with the glove to disprove it's authenticity, you have the guarantee to fall back on. If all is well, then then you have both MEARS and Denny's confirmation of authenticity. I don't see a problem with that....
Dave-
Have you read the posts regarding this glove? Why in the world would I or anyone buy this glove, based on the problems that have been discussed? Likewise, why would you bring Denny into this, or make a huge assumption that he would "confirm it's authenticity" when he has absolutely nothing to do with this glove, the LOA or the Mastro auction?

The glove is the correct model, PRO-CMHCB, however, is lacking the custom modifications that McGwire gamers should have. As such, there is no need to investigate it or have others give their opinion(s). The facts are clear- in my opinion it was never used by McGwire.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Eric
03-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Howard-

I changed the end of your last post.

In this hobby we have to do a lot of guesswork. When we buy something we take the evidence, add it up and make our best guess.

Unless McGwire has told you otherwise, you cannot definitively say it was not used by McGwire. You can offer your opinion that based on what you see before you, it doesn't appear to you to be game used by McGwire.

(Footnote- given what has happened with players' memories about their own equipment- See Carew Glove Pulled From Vintage Authenics Auction, even their info is suspect)
There's a difference and I think it's an important one for all forum members to recognize.

Eric