PDA

View Full Version : 10 maple bats = 1 pitcher

allstarsplus
05-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Minor leaguer traded for bats
McALLEN, Texas

During three years in the low minors, John Odom never really made a name for himself.

That sure changed this week – he's the guy who was traded for a bunch of bats.

"I don't really care," he said yesterday. "It'll make a better story if I make it to the big leagues."

For now, Odom is headed to the Laredo Broncos of the United League. They got him Tuesday from the Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League for a most unlikely price: 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, 34-inch 32 oz, double-dipped, black, model C243..

"They just wanted some bats, good bats – maple bats," Broncos general manager Jose Melendez said.

The Vipers signed Odom about a month ago, but couldn't get the 26-year-old righty into the country. It seems Odom had a "minor" but unspecified criminal record that wasn't revealed to immigration officials before they scanned his passport, Vipers president Peter Young said.

Odom said the charge stemmed from a fight he was in at age 17.

Associated Press

Vintagedeputy
05-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I seem to recall that the Braves got Kerry lightenburg from the Independant League for a bucket of balls and bag of bats....

allstarsplus
05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
According to Prairie Sticks prices with the Canadian exchange rate today, a quantity discount puts each bat at $65.50 USD x 10 = $655 + shipping so I guess the trade is valued at approx. $700 in US Dollars.

http://www.prairiesticks.com/discount.html

** NOTE: US prices are approximate as exchange rates fluctuate regularly. If paying by a credit card your card will be charged the appropriate amount in Canadian Dollars and will be converted to US Dollars by your credit card company. If paying by money order or cheque, these prices are stable.

If John Odom makes it to the Majors, it should make a great movie script.

ryan4fregosi
05-24-2008, 02:28 PM
John "Black Bat" Odom?

yanks12025
05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I dont if anyone else seen this on sportscenter last night but they were talking about other bad trades dealing with weird things. Well a guy around 1900 got traded for a box of prunes. Now thats sad.