PDA

View Full Version : 29th National Sports Collectors Convention

DRILLINDK
05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Anyone planning on going to this? It's still pretty far out, but I'm planning on going for a day.

DRILLINDK
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.nsccshow.com/show_details.shtml

frikativ54
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds like great fun; I hope you enjoy it. For my part, I'll have to pass, since my summer trip to Houston to see Craig Biggio's jersey retirement is going to be expensive enough. Happy collecting!

nyjetsfan14
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Gas just went to $4.10 a gallon here yesterday. My new summer vacation plan is a walk around the block :( If it gets any worse I'll have to steal my sons bike and ride it to work. Because I teach at his school, he'll have to ride on the handle bars! Please post about both those events guys so I can live vicariously through you. I'd love a trip to the National and seeing the number retirement ceremony sounds like a blast.

skyking26
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I plan on attending Thursday, more to look around, see hobby friends, etc. than buy anything...

DRILLINDK
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Skyking,

Have you been to this before. I was wondering if it's worth traveling to?

Rick

TNTtoys
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Guys,

I am planning to be there Wednesday and Thursday. I also want to catch a ballgame (in town or nearby) on Wednesday night if anyone's interested.

Nick

skyking26
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Skyking,

Have you been to this before. I was wondering if it's worth traveling to?

Rick
Rick: I live in SE Michigan, and have attended over a dozen Nationals. It is the biggest event of the year and in my opinion is worth traveling to. I go whenever the event is in Cleveland or Chicago. It can take 2 days to pour thru everything. I also use the time to have dinner and hang out with friends I have known for many many years...

DRILLINDK
05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Rick: I live in SE Michigan, and have attended over a dozen Nationals. It is the biggest event of the year and in my opinion is worth traveling to. I go whenever the event is in Cleveland or Chicago. It can take 2 days to pour thru everything. I also use the time to have dinner and hang out with friends I have known for many many years...

That's great to hear! I only live about 1.5 hours away so I'll have to mark it on my calender.

I won't be able to attend until Saturday. So the Wed night ballgame is a no go for me.

Rick

skyking26
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I think you will enjoy it. There has been less GU at this over the years. Much of what is seen is actually in upcoming auctions. By Saturday with the show having been open from Wed/Thurs on, alot will be sold. You'll still have a good time...

Nathan
07-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Bump this ol' thread up top....is anyone here going besides me?

I might take a camera this year, just so I can prove Lampson's existence to everyone (my conversation last year with him notwithstanding).

trsent
07-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Bump this ol' thread up top....is anyone here going besides me?

I might take a camera this year, just so I can prove Lampson's existence to everyone (my conversation last year with him notwithstanding).

I will be there someday. I go to shows now to prove I exist. I also may stick around at night to play poker with the baseball card boys. We used to have some great games, but now it is different because everyone thinks they are Chris Moneymaker, and Chris Moneymaker is not a poker player but a poker legend who got lucky for a week straight.

I also have some cards to submit to PSA so that will be fun.

rose14
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I will be there starting on Wednesday. A friend and I are driving to Milwaukee on Thursday to see the Cubbies & Brewers and then back down to Wrigley on Friday for the Cubbies & Pirates. I will be back at the show again on Saturday & Sunday.

skyking26
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I'll be there Thursday for the whole day. I'm looking mainly for maybe a jersey case and some single glove cases... Anybody want to hook up for a hotdog - 810-434-1175.

TNTtoys
07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll be there Wednesday evening and most of Thursday.

If you will be there on either of those days, email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com, and I will send you my cell phone # in a reply.

-Nick

earlywynnfan
07-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Gas just went to $4.10 a gallon here yesterday. My new summer vacation plan is a walk around the block :( If it gets any worse I'll have to steal my sons bike and ride it to work. Because I teach at his school, he'll have to ride on the handle bars! Please post about both those events guys so I can live vicariously through you. I'd love a trip to the National and seeing the number retirement ceremony sounds like a blast.

Hey, there, Jetsfan, if you get time, shoot me an email. I have a teacher question for you!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Eric
07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Whoever is going to the national, make sure to post your observations. I have never been to a national and I'd love to know anything about the "game used" end of it.

Take lots of pics. Talk to some dealers and auction houses. Ask some questions. Seems like a great place to get info and feel out the state of the hobby.

Frink
07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes, if anyone feels the need :), I would be very curious about the status of game-used stuff (particularly jerseys). I'm debating travelling from Lansing, MI on Saturday.

salukidave
07-31-2008, 02:43 AM
Just wanted to publically thank Vince Malta for helping provide info on a Ted Kluzewski bat I was thinking about buying at the National Wednesday. After talking about the bat and showing me Klu's shipping records on his computer, Vince walked with me to the booth offering the bat, and told me why it wasn't a bat that Klu used.

A big thanks to Vince! I hope you get to see his Giants eventually win a World Series.

While some of the big shows in Rosemont and nearby Schaumburg have dropped in quality in recent years, the National is still an event in the hobby. Its size is overwhelming and there was lots of good stuff to be had. On the game-used front, you could find some decent items here and there, but these days you're going to find most game-used items offered in auctions.