PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Bat Notes

matt
05-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Sat in the front row next to the on deck circle friday night at Oakland with my son and got to speak with Varitek, Pedroia and the bat boy about bats. Here are some learnings as well as a couple photos (Ellsbury with a nice blonde X-bat and my son with Youkilis)

Varitek told me that we can tell his BP bats apart from gamers by weight. He used 33oz or more for BP and 32 or so for games with a cupped end. Said that several teammates (incl Manny) often use the same bat in BP and the game. He does not.

Papi used black X-bats all weekend. Used the typical Big Stix in BP only. Bat Boy told me this is a new thing and he may play with some others too. Also said that any 34 inch Papi bat is likely a BP bat, as he uses 34.5 in games (I think we all knew that.) The tops of these x-bats were both scratched down to raw wood. I see too many "gamers" with clean paint on the tops.

Manny used SSK's all weekend. Bat Boy had not seen any SAM's this year, just X-bats and SSK.

Pedroia used a 2-tone M9 in addition to the usual black M9.

Ellsbury carried around an armful of blonde X-bats and did not let anyone touch them. After the games, he carried them all back to the clubhouse himself. He ignored (appropriately) my son's begging to get a broken one. Uses same bats in BP.

Both Manny and Papi's gamers have printed number stickers on the knobs this year saying "24" and "34." I have a late season Manny X-bat from 2007 with the same thing.
Matt

Lowell and Youk used the black M9's. Lots of Maple on this team these days!

jgoldstein2000
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks Matt! Are you a big sox collector?

Game Used Bats
05-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Can you post pic's of your manny x-bat for reference?

Thanks,

Anthony

gameused
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Matt,

Thanks for the info!

What I noticed with Varitek is that he mainly uses a all black Rawlings bat for B.P. and a two tone Rawlings for games.

Manny has been using X-bats for the majority of his at bats this season and SSK, he has used a Diablo in a couple of games and for spring training.

Ortiz started of with Nokona, then Rawlings and now X-bat.

On Ellsbury, his X-bat is the most difficult to get as far as Red Sox bats. I have been looking for one for a while and finally was able to get one, I'll post pics when the bat arrives.

Bobby

matt
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Anthony -

I have inserted below an image of my manny bat broken on 9/29/07, an X-bat identical to the one he hit the big ALDS Walk-off with a week later. The number stickers are the same this year for Manny and Ortiz. When I looked in the bat rack this weekend, all their gamers had these silver stick-on numbers. Most others still had the silver marker numbers on them.

Bobby - Thanks for the info as well. I have been building my sox collection for a couple of years and am also still searching for that elusive Ellsbury X-bat. Given how closely he monitored his lumber last weekend, it will be a tough one!

Alternate topic: Why are there so many uncracked Ortiz bats out there? Does he just use them a few times in BP and sell them? Most of his gamers on TV have trashed tops since he often drags them in the dirt on the on-deck circle. But most of those for sale are pretty clean on top...Lots of BP bats out there? Anyone have ideas how to tell an Ortiz BP bat from a gamer? I know Bobby has a good selection going, and I have bought a few, but am now pondering this question...

Matt

gameused
05-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Anthony -

I have inserted below an image of my manny bat broken on 9/29/07, an X-bat identical to the one he hit the big ALDS Walk-off with a week later. The number stickers are the same this year for Manny and Ortiz. When I looked in the bat rack this weekend, all their gamers had these silver stick-on numbers. Most others still had the silver marker numbers on them.

Bobby - Thanks for the info as well. I have been building my sox collection for a couple of years and am also still searching for that elusive Ellsbury X-bat. Given how closely he monitored his lumber last weekend, it will be a tough one!

Alternate topic: Why are there so many uncracked Ortiz bats out there? Does he just use them a few times in BP and sell them? Most of his gamers on TV have trashed tops since he often drags them in the dirt on the on-deck circle. But most of those for sale are pretty clean on top...Lots of BP bats out there? Anyone have ideas how to tell an Ortiz BP bat from a gamer? I know Bobby has a good selection going, and I have bought a few, but am now pondering this question...

Matt

Matt,

I heard that David Ortiz is a guy with a big heart, that's why they call him "Big Papi". A friend of mine called me a few years ago and said that his "boys" had a ton of his game used stuff, bats, jerseys and cleats that they were looking to sell. Ortiz takes care of the people close to him, that's why their so much of his stuff floating around. His stuff could show a ton of use or hardly any use, just depends on when he gives it away. Below is a pic of Ortiz giving a kid a game used bat away at Fenway this year.

Also, on that ALDS Manny X-bat you mentioned, I own that bat he used to hit the ALDS walk off HR vs the Angels, Manny smoked a 96-mph Francisco Rodriguez fastball way over the green monster, that same bat was also used in game 3 of the ALDS in Anaheim to hit a HR off of Angels pitcher Jered Weaver. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez led off the top of the 4th with back-to-back homers in that game.

Game Used Bats
05-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi Guys,

David actually got the name "Big Papi" b/c he always calls everyone "Papi" and never by their actaully name. Bobby has it right though from all the stories I have heard David Ortiz is as good as it gets.

Bobby,

I can't believe Manny let that bat go!!!! I remember reading an article by one of their beat writers claiming Manny kept the bat for his son. I guess he had his price! Thats one incredible piece, can you share some photos?

Anthony

indyred
05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
When is last time Ortiz has used a Louisville Slugger in a game? I thought I saw him use one a couple weeks a M9.

bigtruck260
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Matt,

Manny has been using X-bats for the majority of his at bats this season and SSK, he has used a Diablo in a couple of games and for spring training.

Bobby

This should make Brian Hillerich (BMH) very happy considering he is under contract with LS.

gameused
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys,

David actually got the name "Big Papi" b/c he always calls everyone "Papi" and never by their actaully name. Bobby has it right though from all the stories I have heard David Ortiz is as good as it gets.

Bobby,

I can't believe Manny let that bat go!!!! I remember reading an article by one of their beat writers claiming Manny kept the bat for his son. I guess he had his price! Thats one incredible piece, can you share some photos?

Anthony

Anthony,

I purchased a Manny X-bat shortly after the ALDS. When I bought the bat from the seller there was no mention the bat was used in the ALDS. I pretty much just looked for photos from games prior to the playoffs and the ALDS and almost fell of my chair when I matched the bat to the two games. I have not read that news article, but during the celebration after the game, Manny may have kept the wrong bat or was given the wrong bat. I have the bat stored away in a safe place and will take some photos when I have time.

Thanks, Bobby

Game Used Bats
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
What a piece from one of the Red Sox most memorable moments. That homerun was a bomb and Manny's first walk off homerun! The bat is HOF worthy, I can't wait to see pic's.

BMH
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
This should make Brian Hillerich (BMH) very happy considering he is under contract with LS.

Well, I can't blame Manny or any player for that matter about switching bats. If it feels good and you feel confident going to the plate with it, then you should use it. We've been working on some S318's for Manny that he liked but the weight was off. So we made him some more and our shipping department shipped them next day instead of Saturday delivery so four of his bats are in limbo at the moment. Hopefully he'll have them in the next day or two.

bigtruck260
05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Well, I can't blame Manny or any player for that matter about switching bats. If it feels good and you feel confident going to the plate with it, then you should use it. We've been working on some S318's for Manny that he liked but the weight was off. So we made him some more and our shipping department shipped them next day instead of Saturday delivery so four of his bats are in limbo at the moment. Hopefully he'll have them in the next day or two.

That's a great outlook Brian. I guess all you can do is hope...

kellsox
05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I do have an Ellsbury GU bat from last year- Steiner and MLB Auth. It's cracked at the handle and shows some nice use. There is nothing written on the ends(except 31 on top of the barrel in thin silver sharpie, prob weight). It wasn't in the MLB database for a while but when I checked today it was listed as authenticated on Sept 1, and specifically mentions Buchholz' no- hitter in the description. He was 1-1 as a pinch hitter in the game and I'm curious to see if it was actually used for that at bat. Anyone have the game handy?? Still looking for another one, but as mentioned previously there hasn't been much out there.
Kelly
kelspeck@gmail.com

gameused
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Anthony,

Here's the photo match of Manny hitting the game 3 ALDS HR off Angels pitcher Jered Weaver, the ballmarks and pine tar match perfectly and also the number 24 on the knob matched perfectly on another photo I have from the HR swing. I also have matched the bat to the ALDS walk off HR game 2 from a couple of high quality photos that I ordered.

Bobby

Game Used Bats
06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Awesome Bat and a great match!!!!

smallpapi
06-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Greetings newbie rookie to the board but I have a quick q pls...
I saw this pic when the sox went to japan and manny had a bat that I thought was from Diablo but I don't think so. Then I saw him swinging the same bat again recently. Is this a Diablo bat? Can anyone help? thanks again
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d7/fullj.ea132294b52b668d30100d4378561672/ea132294b52b668d30100d4378561672-getty-80331785jr002.jpg

smallpapi
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Sorry I dont know why my post went first but my q is on page 1

gameused
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the forum! I had the same question when I first seen Manny with that bat. I dont think its a Diablo also, maybe a Japanese brand bat given to Manny by one of the Japanese players they played against during the exhibition games in Japan.

Bobby

smallpapi
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the forum! I had the same question when I first seen Manny with that bat. I dont think its a Diablo also, maybe a Japanese brand bat given to Manny by one of the Japanese players they played against during the exhibition games in Japan.

Bobby

I ran into this article
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/03/25/2008-03-25_manny_ramirez_powers_red_sox_to_win_over.html

It says he tried to use his red bat? is that the Diablo bat or the one we see him holding? it looks more orange than red. it further says he bought bats in japan. was SSK one of the bats bought and the one we see in the pic?

gameused
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I ran into this article
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/03/25/2008-03-25_manny_ramirez_powers_red_sox_to_win_over.html

It says he tried to use his red bat? is that the Diablo bat or the one we see him holding? it looks more orange than red. it further says he bought bats in japan. was SSK one of the bats bought and the one we see in the pic?

The red bats the article mentioned are Diablo bats, he used them a lot in spring training. The bats he bought in Japan were SSK and he's been using them lately, he hit his 500th HR with a SSK bat.

smallpapi
06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
The red bats the article mentioned are Diablo bats, he used them a lot in spring training. The bats he bought in Japan were SSK and he's been using them lately, he hit his 500th HR with a SSK bat.

So I guess that orange\reddish bat is from Japan? Did MLB approve it? I thought MLB was more strict when it comes to coloring and stuff...oh well I guess we will never know what the bat is lol

BPH32
06-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Has anybody seen Manny Ramirez use an unfinished natural color XBat or a black XBat with a Puerto Rican flag sticker this year ?
Thanks, Kim

gameused
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Has anybody seen Manny Ramirez use an unfinished natural color XBat or a black XBat with a Puerto Rican flag sticker this year ?
Thanks, Kim

Kim,

I have not seen Manny use a unfinished X-bat this year, he did use a unfinished Diablo bat during spring training.

Manny used an all black X bat this year, not sure if it had a flag sticker, use sure it's a Puero Rican flag?

Manny has used an X-bat with the Dominican flag this year.

Bobby

BPH32
06-10-2008, 01:55 PM
My bad I mean a Dominican flag.
Kim

smallpapi
06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
As it was mentioned before by someone here it is a Japanese Bat Manny uses....Tamagawa? i can't make out the pic

indyred
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I was at the game when Red Sox were in Cincinnati a couple weeks ago. I took some pictures in BP. Anyone know what kind of bat Manny was using. He crushed a few in BP using this bat. Strange looking bat to say the least. Has anyone ever seen him use this type of bat in BP before....
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pinkbats09/redsocsredsgame066.jpg