PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Everyone

Canseco44
05-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I consider myself to be a very honest person. I would rather take a loss on an item rather than sell it described falsely, which brings me to the question on my mind. This has been bugging me for years, but there was really nothing I could do. I wanted to get everyone else's opinion and see if anything like this has happened to you. This happened several years ago on my father in laws Ebay account. I had, what I thought, was a game used 1990 Oakland A's Jose Canseco jersey. I think I bought it from Grey Flannel, but it's been so long I can't remember. I ended up selling it on ebay for I believe $750, to who, I can't recall. Well, as most of you have guessed by now, this turned out to be a Scoreboard autographed replica jersey and nothing more. I have had this on my mind for years, but did I do anything wrong? It had to have been about 8 years ago, way before I ever found this forum, and before I ever heard of Scoreboard. I feel really sorry for the guy who bought this, but I think in this situation, I cannot be at fault, CAN I? It could have very well been me who ended up with a worthless jersey. I keep telling myself, there was no way I could have known it was not what I was told it was. Does anyone have any opinion on this or have any similiar experiences.

Todd Ricks

Vintagedeputy
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
2 words......

caveat emptor

Mr.3000
05-29-2008, 12:18 AM
As far as you're saying you sold it honestly with the knowledge that was available to you about the jersey at the time. You admit to having no idea at the time. So no, you did nothing wrong. It's nice to hear someone these days has a conscience in this hobby.

3arod13
05-29-2008, 06:13 AM
As far as you're saying you sold it honestly with the knowledge that was available to you about the jersey at the time. You admit to having no idea at the time. So no, you did nothing wrong. It's nice to hear someone these days has a conscience in this hobby.

I agree!

Jags Fan Dan
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I agree!
I also agree. If you didn't know, how could you do anything differently?

Canseco44
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM
That is what I have been telling myself, but the bottom line is, I sold some guy a fake jersey for almost $800 dollars and it makes me feel like crap. Some poor guy has been stuck with this thing, and may think that I am a real piece for selling this junk to him. I appreciate the kind comments, but I guess I will just have to live with this one. Thinking back, I am almost positive it came with a COA from Grey Flannel. I guess one good thing I can pull from this is how much I have learned from this site, and the fact that I hopefully won't be fooled again. I am also going to try and upload a pic for the first time on this thread. Sorry if it wastes space, but it is a photo of Canseco which is kind of relevant.

Todd Ricks

skipcarayislegend
05-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Todd,
That's a nice photo of Canseco! Even better looking is that helmet he's wearing. :)

I wouldn't worry about that shirt you sold. You didn't intentionally mislead anyone and there's not much you can do about it now anyway. Many years ago I bought a number of things from a well-known dealer who's no longer in the business (that I know of). It took me a few months to realize that some of the items were probably bogus. I called him, told him why I thought they weren't good and sent them back to his "Warehouse." They were Juan Gonzalez's Rangers helmet (size 7), a pair of "g/u" signed Ripken batting gloves, and a Paul Molitor "rookie" Brewers cap. When he got them, he called me and said he agreed that they didn't look right and that he had gotten them from a collector as part of a trade. Long story short is that he resold at least the Ripken gloves and Molitor hat because a friend of mine later purchased them from the same "Warehouse." That's an example of blatant dishonesty.

3arod13
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Todd,
That's a nice photo of Canseco! Even better looking is that helmet he's wearing. :)

I wouldn't worry about that shirt you sold. You didn't intentionally mislead anyone and there's not much you can do about it now anyway. Many years ago I bought a number of things from a well-known dealer who's no longer in the business (that I know of). It took me a few months to realize that some of the items were probably bogus. I called him, told him why I thought they weren't good and sent them back to his "Warehouse." They were Juan Gonzalez's Rangers helmet (size 7), a pair of "g/u" signed Ripken batting gloves, and a Paul Molitor "rookie" Brewers cap. When he got them, he called me and said he agreed that they didn't look right and that he had gotten them from a collector as part of a trade. Long story short is that he resold at least the Ripken gloves and Molitor hat because a friend of mine later purchased them from the same "Warehouse." That's an example of blatant dishonesty.

Now that's sad!

Canseco44
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Yes that is the nicest helmet I have seen. I still owe you one on that, that is one of the greatest Canseco items I have. That is one of my Canseco items that will be passed on to my son. Here are some pics of it so we can see a true photomatch one more time.

Todd

Canseco44
05-29-2008, 09:17 AM
By the way, I have photomatched this helmet to his 300th HR and to the 1995 Division Series. There was a Red Sox Canseco gamer sold at American Memorabilia a few years back, but it showed almost no use and I could not match it to any games. He must have worn this one for almost two complete seasons. Anyways, I still want to thank ole' SkipCarey for this one. I am building a new house as we speak, and I have built a special place on the wall in my sports memorabilia room just for this helmet. Now that I figured out how to post photos, I will get some more on here of my Canseco collection.

Todd Ricks

skipcarayislegend
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm glad it found a great home. Be sure and post pics when your display room's complete! One of these days I'll get around to doing mine. BTW, which photos did you use to match the 300th homer and division series?

Canseco44
05-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I actually matched them off of www.canseconet.com (http://www.canseconet.com) There are some very usefull pics there, if you are a Canseco collector. He hit his 300th HR exactly 7 days after the photo that I have already posted on here was taken. He hit it Sept. 11, 1995 and the pic already posted was taken Sept. 18, 1995. If you go to canseconet.com there are several photos that the site manager actually took at the game that day. There are also tons of pics on gettyimages of Jose wearing this helmet, and I have over 10 cards showing him wearing this helmet. This has to be one of the easiest photomatches in the world. I am just glad you put 2 and 2 together. Who did the seller of this helmet originally sell it as worn by? I will post the 300th HR pic here in a little while.

Thanks, Todd Ricks

skipcarayislegend
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Todd, it was originally listed as a Varitek.

Canseco44
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jason, I had forgotten. For some reason I cannot access canseconet from my work computer. If you want to look, go to the site and look under photos. It should be in an album at the top that says he took the pics at a game 9/11/95. You can also go to gettyimages and see that the other pic is from 9/18/95. Just an awesome helmet and once again I appreciate it.

Todd Ricks

skipcarayislegend
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Sure thing, Todd. You're clearly enjoying it more than I ever did, which is saying something because I loved having it. I just looked at those pics on that site. I think I did see them when I first bought the helmet but the pics were sort of small and I couldn't get a great look at the details. You're right though, there are some good ones elsewhere, like Getty.