PDA

View Full Version : Have You Guys Seen THIS Cut Auto?

frikativ54
05-28-2008, 11:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Allen-Ginter-2007-Fidel-Castro-1-1-Auto-Cut-Sig_W0QQitemZ320257015646QQihZ011QQcategoryZ149905 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw this on another board, and I was wondering what you guys thought. I am having a hard time coming to an opinion about it. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Vintagedeputy
05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Before the graffitti, the card was....

- an rare autograph of a famous world leader

- an old auto of a "never was" minor league pitcher who did something else with his life

and now? Its a piece of crap that a 12 year scribbled on in the name of making a political statement, thus ruining any chance that a collector may have had in completing the set.

Not worth $5 IMHO

Jim

David
05-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Interesting that they didn't deface the signature.

Jags Fan Dan
05-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Wow, if they hate the guy that much I'm pretty sure that card would fit in a garbage can. But then they couldn't sell it and make money off of the sale of the signature of the man they dispise so much.

bigtruck260
05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
The person or persons who originally pulled it probably made money from the first sale.

If the owner wants to deface it and sell it for a good cause - good for him. My guess is that whoever buys it is only doing so to support the cause of the seller. Not really a collectible anymore. It will probably end up in the circular file.

I love the Allen and Ginter set. It is the only set I buy anymore....

BUT, I have noticed that the card companies are being overly controversial - making obnoxious political statements. I guess it is only fitting that the seller creates an even stronger counter-message.

Regardless, the final sale price will probably eclipse the non-defaced price it would have achieved.

What I am curious to know is if Beckett will track the sale...the cause of the seller has already been mentioned in several publications - so if the goal was to draw attention to his organization, he/she has succeeded.

The fact that it is mentioned here, is proof that the idea worked.

Jags Fan Dan
05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
The person or persons who originally pulled it probably made money from the first sale.

If the owner wants to deface it and sell it for a good cause - good for him. My guess is that whoever buys it is only doing so to support the cause of the seller. Not really a collectible anymore. It will probably end up in the circular file.

I love the Allen and Ginter set. It is the only set I buy anymore....

BUT, I have noticed that the card companies are being overly controversial - making obnoxious political statements. I guess it is only fitting that the seller creates an even stronger counter-message.

Regardless, the final sale price will probably eclipse the non-defaced price it would have achieved.

What I am curious to know is if Beckett will track the sale...the cause of the seller has already been mentioned in several publications - so if the goal was to draw attention to his organization, he/she has succeeded.

The fact that it is mentioned here, is proof that the idea worked.
Good points, Dave. I really didn't look at the auction enough to realize it was for charity.

commando
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
You know, the seller may have tried to modify the "Dog-Chewed Michael Vick Card Auction" idea. That idea worked once, and also raised big bucks for charity.... Not to mention the amount of press the auction generated.

Looks like they have their first bid at $2,000. It'll be interesting to see how the final price lines up with other cut sigs from the set.

frikativ54
05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Personally, I don't think the card should have been defaced. Now that I have had time to reflect on this one, it would have been better to leave the card alone and to have sold it and given the money to a pro-freedom and democratic government charity. I am not a fan of communism, but I still think that defacing a card is too far to go. Now if it had been Hitler, I would have kept the card intact and have given the proceeds to a Jewish organization.

frikativ54
05-31-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow - Somebody actually placed a bid. I am very surprised by this development...

Kaplankrazies
05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Before the graffitti, the card was....

- an rare autograph of a famous world leader

- an old auto of a "never was" minor league pitcher who did something else with his life

and now? Its a piece of crap that a 12 year scribbled on in the name of making a political statement, thus ruining any chance that a collector may have had in completing the set.

Not worth $5 IMHO

JimNobody was looking to complete the set of cut signatures, I can assure you.

Vintagedeputy
05-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Nobody was looking to complete the set of cut signatures, I can assure you.

and you can be so sure of this because?